PDA

View Full Version : If you make Pastel Swatches...

JustinM
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
I keep meaning to share this bit of advice but get distracted by all the great tips and beautiful works here...

If you make pastel swatches like many of us do, one of the problems you may run into is keeping them clean. Unlike a painting, you probably throw your swatch around, perhaps stick it in a bag or with some sketches etc & invariably it because dirty and smudges fade into one another etc.

I work by day as a graphic designer & in our shop we have a pressure sensitive, cold-press laminator. Its single-sided (not like a "standard" hot press laminator that seals both sides) and works MUCH Better with anything delicate. It wont alter colours and makes your swatches essentially permanent.

You could, of course, just laminate them with regular film but you always run the risk of the heat altering the colour, the paper producing pinch lines etc and while it wouldnt be the end of the world to have to redo a swatch chart, its better to do it once & get it right the first time.

If you're interested in cold-laminating swatches, any print shop should be able to help you, especially if they do vehicle graphics or outdoor signage (the cold laminate is usually used over external vinyl). Id recommend taking several swatches at once as the laminate comes on a large roll and therefore one swatch = much wastage = more cost for 1 piece.

Anyway, hopefully someone will find this info useful. Cheers.

allydoodle
01-14-2014, 06:39 PM
If I make a color chart, I put it in a plastic page protector. Works pretty well, at least it keeps the pastel from smudging off. I do it for the Ludwigs because they come with a color chart. All you have to do is color it in, pretty easy.

doodler321
01-15-2014, 02:39 AM
If I make a color chart, I put it in a plastic page protector. Works pretty well, at least it keeps the pastel from smudging off. I do it for the Ludwigs because they come with a color chart. All you have to do is color it in, pretty easy.
I do the same. Mine are in sleeves with the three-hole-punch and I have been meaning to put them into a binder.

sansea
01-21-2014, 11:17 AM
What ground do you use to put swatches on ? As we all know colors look different on differing grounds .

doodler321
01-22-2014, 04:49 AM
I try to be consistent and use white Ingres paper. I have often considered making additional swatches on grey paper. What does everyone else think is a good choice of ground?

JPQ
01-22-2014, 07:12 AM
White ingress paper maybe becouse very likely i going use mostly on it i fully learned how i can use coloured background. also grey if neutral one sound good idea.
ps. btw i must made own charts after i get pastels what i going get this year becouse after this i very likely have all hueds what i need.