PDA

View Full Version : Caravaggio Study

adzy
01-10-2014, 10:23 PM
This Caravaggio study was painted using a grisaille and then a couple of semi opaque color layers over the top. I was just looking for constructive criticism on how I can improve, with regards to the painting process /materials and technique.

Thanks Adam

Nathalie Chavieve
01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Beautiful study ! I also like very much Caravaggio and have done some paintings and copies in his style using a grisaille/dead layer technique some years ago. But later on I have discovered, that he wasn't using at all grisaille or this kind of underpainting in his painting technique. Usually, he was starting to paint on the dark tone prepared canvas.Then, a lead white was applied over the lightest and highlights areas of the painting.

Here is an example of his technique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2014/189689-79.jpg

adzy
01-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi Nathalie

Thanks very much for the advice ill have to give it a go like that on the next one. I had a look at the stuff on your website its really great .

Thanks again for the advice.

AllisonR
01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Painting is not of my taste - she is breastfeeding her father. I think in the original it looks like that, your copy, he looks more like he is fishing for the breast, not suckling - something is just off. But you have wonderful expression in her mouth and eyes.

Very interesting Nathalie; I will keep in mind if I ever make a Caravaggio copy!

Bloodfather
03-04-2016, 09:31 AM
When the price of milk become unbearable? :)

Well done thus far....