PDA

View Full Version : Big Sticks

adlercomo
01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Hi all,

I wonder what you all do when using the large sticks like Mt. Vision, Terry Ludwig and the like. Do you shape them when you need a sharper edge. I'm so hesitant to go hogging off parts of the stick. They are expensive for one thing and I'm fairly lame at reconstituting the powder. Mine always come out chunky and lumpy.

What do you do?

Thanks

allydoodle
01-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I just find an edge, there always seems to be one. If I'm desperate I will pull out a pastel pencil (especially when doing portraits). For landscapes I use just the sticks (I don't use pastel pencils for landscapes), like I said there always seems to be an edge. I never break my Ludwigs, and Mount Visions I do break into thirds. They are too large to work with as is, and one third seems the perfect size for me. All the other brands I break in half (unless they are already half sticks, which I don't break). I would never break a stick once it's broken into a third piece or a half piece, I just work with it.

Equus Art
01-09-2014, 07:11 AM
I never break my Ludwigs, they seem to work very well for me the size they are and I love their square shape.

I bought a whole set of Mt. Visions a few months ago and at first their size was very daunting and having that "oh, those look all so pretty & pristine" feeling, I tried not to have to break them. Well, after becoming very frustrated with not being able to figure out a good way to use them, the gloves came off! I began snapping with abandonment. Like Chris, I snap into thirds and if I have to, I have also scored my third into halves as well. I have small hands, so I can work with smaller pieces.

Cat

adlercomo
01-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks folk. I feel better about breaking them now. Especially those mt. Visions. Take care