PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse - First attempt

literal
06-27-2001, 06:28 AM
I thought I'd have a bash at a lighthouse using one of the reference images as a rough guide then changing the composition quite a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2001/lighthouse1.jpg

It didn't come out as well as I thought - it's quite dark (though not quite as dark as it appears onthe screen) and feels like it is missing something in the middle ground....

I do like the way that the sunlight and sky came out though,

I am keen on your thoughts and suggestions... does the composition work? is the middle missing something... what works for you and what doesn't.

Thanks

Mark

Javier
06-27-2001, 07:21 AM
You're right about the sky -- it is very good. The only thing about the overall is maybe more contrast in order to hold the eye on the lighthouse. However, this is such a subjective item it maybe the call of the viewer.

The Best, and Keep Posting,

j

ameliajordan
06-27-2001, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't change anything. To me the subject of the painting is the sunrise - the sky is magnificant and the shine of the light through the trees is super. The lighthouse is part of the landscape but not the subject and more interesting that way, I think. I hope to finish my lighthouse on Thursday - it isn't this good of a painting though.....

lonie
06-27-2001, 08:30 AM
Mark, I agree with you about the sunlight and sky - they have turned out very well. I don't think you need to do anything else to improve the overall effect.

Lonie

lonie
06-27-2001, 08:40 AM
Mark, I agree with you about the sunlight and sky - they have turned out very well. I don't think you need to do anything else to improve the overall effect.

Lonie

Studio224
06-27-2001, 09:03 AM
Mark,

I love these colors, beautiful sky (I am a sucker for skies...)

By the way, why don't you post it in the Lighthouse Project?

Anne-Claire

sun_merman
06-27-2001, 12:18 PM
I agree with Ameliajordan! You have captured the awe and beauty of the sky and the warmth of the sun.

Nicely done!

literal
06-27-2001, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all your comments. The more I look at it the happier I am with it.

This was my first use of Rough watercolour paper (I bought some 180ib Arches and a new Hake two days ago) I love the texture the paper has and found that it seemed to suit my style quite well.

The painting was done almost exclusively with the Hake. It's quite small (A4)

Mark

CarlyHardy
06-27-2001, 09:27 PM
I love the atmosphere you captured with your colorful sky. I don't think the middle ground needs anything either. I would suggest more weight under the lighthouse...change in value in that area. It seems to float a bit too much. Some of that great purple color in the foreground would strengthen the lighted areas there too.

This looks like you had fun painting it! Keep doing what works for you.
carly

taghera
06-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Yep, it looks good to me as well, i think you have captured the light very well.

NorahT
06-27-2001, 11:54 PM
I like!!

artman2384
06-28-2001, 03:13 AM
Literal
As everyone else has said the sky is amazing awesome job.

Eliz
06-28-2001, 03:47 AM
The sky is beautiful! And I love how you've captured the glowing light.

I was thinking that a small shrub (in the same color as the trees) at the far left base of the building next to the lighthouse might seat the lighthouse more firmly, and tie it in more with the background trees. CHClements suggestion of changing the values to add weight might be simpler and give the same result. This picture is pretty cool as it is though.

(Hake brushes are neat, aren't they. I'm still learning how to play with mine.)

Congratulations!

Liz

ameliajordan
06-28-2001, 08:02 AM
OK, I've got to get out my hake and play with it. I've seen Ranson's video and looking at this picture makes me realize that it's not going to paint anything sitting in the drawer :D

Leaflin
06-28-2001, 02:06 PM
I love this Literal
PLEASE post this in the Lighthouse art Project :)

Jann
06-28-2001, 02:31 PM
Hi Mark...
I totally agree with everyone...your sky is fantastic! And Amelia is right in that you need add nothing more. I feel like the sunshine is the subject, as well, and in looking at the painting, it's as though you're looking at the lighthouse from a distance, and the sun is causing shimmering, much like if you were driving and the sun were blaring off the roadway. Awesome effect! Keep on painting and posting! :p
Jann

literal
06-29-2001, 03:56 AM
Leaflin - I promise I'll go straight over to the project and post it. (that reminds me... I was supposed to set one up...)

Amelia - I hope you get your Hake out. I've neglected mine for a while and am discovering the wonderful range of effects and textures the brush is capable of.

I hope to get out painting tomorrow. If I do I'll post what I produce :)

Mark