PDA

View Full Version : Malarkey's Kiwi

baquitania
06-27-2001, 06:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2001/kiwi.jpg

This is Kelly, done on 140lb cold press paper. I have not painted on wc paper for a hundred years it seems (6 actually) I forgot how long this took... but I promised Mal I would finish this, cause Kiwi deserved color...little did I know:mad: :crying: :eek:

The total work time is 8hrs or so spread out over 3 days. I used only 7-8 colors, but was pretty happy with the blending. I usually use twice that many colors, but Mal only uses 3, so I thought I'd learn from the Master or Mistress (don't say it)

Should I post this in portraits? I am gonna attempt that Indian again in about 2 weeks, now that I have new paints:p :D thank you in advance for your comments... Bobby

ameliajordan
06-27-2001, 07:35 AM
I'd put it in portraits also but am so glad you posted under watercolor. This is a very good portrait and also super painting. Did you do this from a photo with strong overhead light?

Javier
06-27-2001, 08:01 AM
I admire you ability to do such a fine portrait. It is my belief that the portrait is one of the hardest of all subjects to paint and you have done a fine painting as presented here.

BTW, I agree that it would be good to post this painting in portraits also, but please post all of your watercolors here -- I really enjoy the watercolor postings.

Enjoyed Your Painting,

j

Studio224
06-27-2001, 09:39 AM
WOW! I am amazed and delighted to see such a beautiful portrait in watercolor!

I think you should post both in Portrait and in the Critiques Forum..

Anne-Claire

Astur
06-27-2001, 10:43 AM
WOW!! Incredible one.

I like very much your ability for combining colors in such gentle way. For example, I can see !!!!green!!! in her hair and face, and this not disturb me at all!!!. A really good lesson for a beginner.., far away of predefined ideas...

Thans for this marvellous paint.

JaneS
06-27-2001, 11:30 AM
I've met Kelly in person.... ....and you have captured her sunny personality so well! She is beautiful, and so is this portrait. Your talent is deep Bobby.

paintfool
06-27-2001, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by JaneS
I've met Kelly in person.... ....and you have captured her sunny personality so well! She is beautiful, and so is this portrait. Your talent is deep Bobby.
Those are exactly the words i would have used! I'm amazed!
Cheryl

sun_merman
06-27-2001, 12:29 PM
I don't know Kelly but I agree with Jane, Bobby..."your talent is deep"!!! I especially like the eyes and the smile.

Can't wait to see the indian!

Gerak
06-27-2001, 12:43 PM
Wonderful.

NorahT
06-27-2001, 01:07 PM
An excellent painting and fresh use of colour - definitely a framer!:)

bbbilly1326
06-27-2001, 01:39 PM
Nice one Bobby; I've admired your other things here. Interesting to see a more "realistic" rather than impressionist or expressionist piece. I'd suggest the shadows on the left at mouth and eye are a bit heavy, but it's sure better than I could do in watercolor, where you only have one chance.
It has great luminosity.

Bill

Ivyleaf
06-27-2001, 02:58 PM
Guess the whip can be put away for a while ;) YA DONE GOOD :)

baquitania
06-27-2001, 03:25 PM
Thank you all... didn't expect to hear from so many, I think this is a record for me, and boy did I need some "love" today... been out of it mentally since satursay, but that is a long story...

Amelia - yes I did work from a photo as the real Kelly lives in Florida, and I in NY. Malarkey sent me this photo after Kelly graduated, and I did 1/2 of it in the Drawings forum, as Kelly is pictured with her grandmother. But after trying my hand at sketching her, I knew she needed color to capture her essence...

The photo I had did not blow up well unfortunately on my desktop which is how I work when I get stuff from the Net (printing reference isn't the same as the color never matches) So I had to fudge some areas... Javier, Sun_Merman - thank you, please come to the Tuesday watercolor chat in the Serendipity room, that's where I met Malarkey, and how I got the photo...

Anne-Claire, (nice name) I will try to post this in Portraits too, but first I want to ask mal if I can include the detail of the photo I used. As for critiques, hmmm don't know if I want to put myself on the line, but I will consider it certainly so after all this feedback.

Astur - Hola (that's the name of my cat too) from Nuevo York! I have a cousin whose an independent film director in Sevilla. I should have you paint her, she's got great bone structure...

Jane, Cheryl - "deep" wow don't know what to say? thank you ofcourse, but don't know if I deserve deep, but ofcourse it is better than "shallow"...lol :D ;) :p Gerak - thanks, how's Hungary today? Norah - actually I am gonna let Mal frame it, I am sending the original to Florida, I think the model should have it... lol

Billy - yeah you don't know how those shadows were driving me crazy. The left side of the mouth is supposed to be this dark gummy pink, and using this limited palette this time around, I was stuck from turning it into the blackhole of my painting! The eyes are a compromise cause originally I was gonna make them deep green, but Mal told me her eyes a re a light blue, so I had to flub it and my palette got darker from so many layers, here is a pre post image...

Studio224
06-27-2001, 03:53 PM
Bobby,

It's so interesting to see your progress pic, and how you worked out the colors... I have been trying to do watercolor portraits and it's so so difficult, since everything has to be right from the first. Now seeing how you did it... really helps me! Thanks for sharing...

Anne-Claire
(They don't bite in the Critique Forums, they are very helpful, I used to be afraid of posting there too...)

MALARKEY
06-27-2001, 05:54 PM
WOW! Bobby, this is wonderful! You captured her happiness on Graduation night. Please post any close ups or progress or reference pictures you wish. I'm thrilled to see how artists capture emotion in their paintings that takes a painting past "just a good likeness". Thanks so much, bobby.

Kandiman
06-27-2001, 07:47 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
What more can I say? This is an excellent portrait :D
I've tried and fought with a couple of portraits :mad: but they always seem to come out looking :evil: !
Thanks so much for your progress images - they're very instructional :)

lonie
06-28-2001, 07:12 AM
This is excellent. I wouldn't know where to begin with a portrait myself. You have captured such a natural look.

Lonie:clap:

KIWI
06-28-2001, 04:55 PM
Hey Bobby, I like it a lot! I would have told you sooner but my mom hogs the computer :evil:

MissMouse
06-28-2001, 10:08 PM
What can I say, it has all been said. This is a wonderful painting it sure does capture the glow in a young girls face. So much promise so many things to do and see. I wish her well.

baquitania
06-29-2001, 12:41 PM
thank you kandiman, lonie & miss mouse. and ofcourse kelly for being the model (kudos from the kiwi :D ) I have posted this also in portraits now, along with the photo I had to enlarge into a blurry mess in order to paint it off of my desktop...

There is also a little b&w thumbnail, another with the first application of color, and one last one at about 60% finished.

And kelly I blame your Mom too, for meeting her in chat when she does hog the computer, and for giving me the honor of painting you & your family (please remind her she still owes me a color shot of her!!!) tcbt42tgif... bobby