PDA

View Full Version : Brown Wrapping paper

creativevintage
01-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Is there anything similar to the finish on plain brown wrapping paper that would also be archival? I love the finish on this paper! I use rolls of it to play around with and to practice when I want to try crosshatching or different color combinations...I would love it if some of my experiments were a bit more permanent...i also use Canson, but it does not have the texture and finish that the brown kraft paper does.

Any ideas?

SSB
01-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Are you talking about a texture like brown paper bags? If so, you can try roughing up thick watercolor paper with sandpaper, but it really isn't the same. In general, like Alan Flattmann, I have had good luck roughening the surface of a variety of papers with sandpaper and other abrasives.

DAK723
01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
I guess the question is - how permanent? Is this just for you or for sale?

I can not say that all brown wrapping paper is the same, but we used some back in college and those paintings are still OK over 30 years later. I also have some paintings - I think they are ink and opaque watercolor - that my grandfather did just after WWII. It seems like an odd choice of paper, but that may be all that he had available in Germany post war. They are still in their frames after 60 plus years.

Has the paper changed color or become more brittle? Maybe? Probably? Who knows? And, again, is it the same paper as they make today? Don't know that either, so it could be a risk. But thought I would pass this info along. Some stuff - even when it is not archival, lasts a lot longer than one might think!

I haven't seen anything that has a similar surface.

Don

Studio-1-F
01-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Depends on exactly what you mean by "the finish on plain brown wrapping paper". Some plain brown wrapping paper that I've seen (like butcher paper or parchment paper) has a slick finish. On the other hand, my pad of brown Kraft paper from Blick's has a kind of fuzzy, newsprinty finish.

That said, you might want to look at Stonehenge Kraft. It's a beautiful color, but might not match what you mean by "the finish on plain brown wrapping paper" : http://www.dickblick.com/products/stonehenge-paper/

Jan

creativevintage
01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I meant the finish similar to brown paper grocery bags, kind of soft fuzzy finish.

Studio-1-F
01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
You're welcome! For soft and fuzzy, definitely check out the Stonehenge 'Kraft'. In the meantime, take a look at local hero Chris Tribastone's work (http://tribbie.blogspot.com/), all on kraft paper. Great stuff. :heart:

Jan

creativevintage
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Thank you for that link! His work is just amazing....

allydoodle
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
For a soft fuzzy finish you can try sanding the smooth side of Canson MT paper. They make a color called "tobacco", which is a brown very similar to brown paper bags. I've sanded this paper before (smooth side remember), and the texture turns somewhat similar to a brown paper bag. It makes a bit of a fuzzy mess, so I would do it in a garage or basement, or even outside (if the temperatures aren't arctic like they are here...:lol: ). Worth a go, as the price is reasonable.....

I've also heard Stonehenge Kraft is a nice paper, though the color won't be the same.... try both and see what you like better?