PDA

View Full Version : Weeders' Monthly: JANUARY 2014

artastic
12-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Happy New year my artistic friends
maybe I can find my Muse this year

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/104250-NY.jpg

Last month's weeders' (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336409&page=2http://)

artastic
12-31-2013, 08:38 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/104250-ny345.gif

Charlie's Mum
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the new Gifs Shar and Bonnie - this is the only one I already had (from Shar, of course!)

So, A very Happy New Year to all Weeders :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/32965-Happy_New_Year_Hic_Mouse_By_Carole_Litus.gif

Dewi
12-31-2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/61325-image.jpg

Sharrm
12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey it's not 2014 yet......this is early....now I had to repost not fair........!!! Thanks.....:(

Re: Weeders' Monthly: December 2013
Hi All, Barbara, nice to hear from you again, thanks for the warm thoughts on Sprokit....hope to see more from you ...

Paula, beautiful painting, luv it.Best wishes to you too

Robert, how lovely your card, looks like one of your works too. All the best in the coming year.

So nice to see some of the old regulars touching base again....We need to see more of you guys this year OK :thumbsup:

Just stopped in to send out some New Year wishes !!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/32965-HappyNewYearElephantAnimated.gif ......Isn't She Cute LOL...just had to post her/him.

Hope you all have a great New Year and 2014's a Wonderful Year for All!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2013/32965-Happy_New_Year_Hic_Mouse_By_Carole_Litus.gif

Be Careful Out There!!!!................:wave:

skappy
01-01-2014, 02:36 AM
"Thanks All for your card yep Sharm it was one of my 2013 painting TY

Here is mine it brings back memories:lol:
Bonne Année
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2014/157927-nouvel_an_045.gif

missswiss
01-01-2014, 11:37 AM
I do not have a download I can put on, but wanted to wish you all a Happy, Healthy New Year. I am really going to try and make some changes this year and hopefully getting on here regularly will be one of them. I have always enjoyed this site and so many of you have become friends. I would love to meet each and every one of you in person, but through this I feel like I know a lot of you. Anyone of you ever in SE Ohio please let me know and stop by. Would love to meet you all. May this year bring you all you hope for and more. God Bless you all, my friends.

oldrockchick
01-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Just 'doing the rounds' on the forums. Have a houseful of guests.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2014/179312-1000px_Happy_New_Year_2014_0.JPG
Had a fantastic new camera for Christmas and I can't wait to get out and use it but the weather is horrendous. So tired and aching today after going out 2 nights on the trot and especially a long one last night at a rock gig.

Foxyheart2002
01-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I hope it is truly blessed and prosperous with lots of love.

I want to thank everyone for participating in my WDE Dec 27. It was a lot of fun. I may just sign up for another later......well maybe....lolol

RubyRedDog2
01-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Happy New Year Dear Friends:wave: . I don't have a wonderful gif like all the other posted but this is one of my favorite happy :music: video that makes you want to move. About as much as Abba Sharron. Missed all of you and hope to make myself more active in art this year.

Gail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9i0s4WEY0

artastic
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
OMG -34 with windchills of -52 this morning
at least we have not lost our power like the folks in Eastern Canada
s winter we are actually going to escape for a couple weeks
first time in many yrs (16 for me, 30 for dh)
after last winters record snow and this winters record cold, I guess it is time

oty
01-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Happy New Year everyone!!!
I have been away for over two weeks, and didn't have the chance to wish you all the best for 2014!!!

Helen
01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Hate when I do that! Just typed a nice long one and lost it, Happy New Year to you all. Gail, love the video. Like Mary, hope to get here more this year, I've missed you all.

Cold here.... lots of snow, not as cold as Bonnie but cold and forecast says it's gonna get colder, and snowier. Down to my sewing room I go, it's in the basement next to the boiler.

RubyRedDog2
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Bonnie, yikes, that is beyond cold. Today I got some cuttings from my tropicals in case we have a freeze, will be near freezing tomorrow night. Mary, if you have a cruise out of Cape Canaveral I'm 6 miles away. I heard you may go on a cruise.

My aunt just told me my grandfather (farmer) liked snow because it has nitrogen. I had never heard that. Stay warm everyone.

Gail

missswiss
01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I will not complain about the cold here Bonnie, I will just know you are having it worse. Well maybe not when yours is C and ours is F. I can never figure it out, but might be looking at similar temps.
Gail, I am waiting for my friend to get her passport before we make reservations. She was not born in this country and does not have a birth certificate, but sent her baptismal, so hoping that will do it. They accepted it for SS, so should be ok. We have gone out of Cape Canaveral before and it is one of the nicest ports we have gone out of. Are you close to Melbourne?
Would love to be able to meet up with you. Depends on where we can get the best rates on cruise and air fare. We were already in Florida the last time we went out of Cape Canaveral. Will let you know when we decide what we are doing.

Helen
01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
BRRRRRRRRRRRR! Low temps, wind, snow.... even I who love winter don't like this! DH is out snowblowing.... don't know why 'cause it's still snowing and blowing and it's going to go on all day today and tomorrow. We were invited to ski but had to decline 'cause dh is having more skin removed Wednesday.... this time voluntarily, not the melanoma. Who knew he was vain! Anyway, glad we're home where we can find things to do inside and not stuck in someone else's cottage unable to get out on the slopes.

Charlie's Mum
01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
The weather map for N. America is horrendous! Don't think I could cope with those temps brrrrr - and the cold is even stretching down to Texas and Florida :eek:
Our floods are still bad - getting worse before better :rolleyes: ... supposed to be easing from Wednesday - :crossfingers: ....... we're very lucky on our side of the country, away fro the coast .. counting our blessings.

Hope you all stay safe and warm - and no power outages!

skappy
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Hi Friends stay warm where you are that is cold for sure spring is on its way be patient
Robert

artastic
01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Gail, no cruise for us, we are flying to Maui, staying in a condo, friends are picking us up at the airport and shuttling us around, they go for 5-6 wks most yrs, we are just going for 2
will be nice having our own guides
this is an experiment to see how DH does away from home, we have a house\cat sitter staying so he feels a bit more at ease.

RubyRedDog2
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi Oty and Skappy, Bonnie, wow 2 wks on Maui, can't wait to see your tropical art and photos, Maureen hope you're flooding subsides soon, Mary I am 10 miles from Cape Canaveral. Check Alginate Air at Daytona/sanford Airport but beware of extra fees and they may not have port buses. If not late Feb early march or late April/ early May I can pick you up at airport.

Helen
01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Our pier... it's cold here.... still.... I'm going to my sewing room in the basement... next to the boiler.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2014/998-pier.jpg

artastic
01-07-2014, 11:11 AM
yikes Helen that looks cold
it has been cold down in my studio the past few days, I moved the heater upstairs, I think it is finally warming up to -30 here

missswiss
01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
It is cold here. The coldest it has been in probably 30 years. If we only get it a couple days at a time, guess we can stand it. Sure would not want it all winter long. Oh, Bonnie it has been almost 39years since we went to Hawaii. We run into people from our county here in the airport. Never know where you might meet someone you know. I remember the day we left it was so icy and we flew out of Pittsburgh. They had to deice the plane. It was a wonderful trip. Thanks Gail I will let you know when we get out plans made. It may be cheaper for us to fly into some place else and rent a car, but am not going to check until we can make plans. A friend said the have flights to Florida right now for $69. Hope we can find some like that when we come. That is one way I am sure, but still a very good price. This would have been a great week to have been gone.
Some of you seen this on facebook but I will put it here for those who did not. This is showing you I may never have grown up. LOL... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2014/132729-DSCF0515.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2014/132729-DSCF0514.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2014/132729-DSCF0513.JPG I went out side a blew bubbles. This one froze and stayed for a good while so I could get a picture of it. Others I could see freezing and then they would hit something and bust. I went out again later to see if I could get some more and ended up I was the one who feel down, so thought I had better thank the Lord nothing was broken and quite messing like a kid. I darken the last two pictures so you could see the bubble better.
Stay warm all who are having this weather and hope no one has much trouble over it.

Charlie's Mum
01-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Gosh Helen - spectacular picture!
There was another in the paper this morning of the shore at Chicago - on your lake? :D
Also see from the news that the latest is game is throwing hot water into the air so it freezes immediately - just like your bubbles Mary!:lol:
I don't think I've ever seen it cold like that here ........ today it's around 8C (upper 40sF) but wind chill makes it feel colder. Definitely bearable though :lol: ......... think the flooded areas of the country are getting a couple of days respite ............ the waves on the south coasts have caused tremendous damage and erosion - altered the coastline completely in places.

Mary - would your friend need a passport if she's not going outside national waters - and are the islands where Gail lives not inside the boundaries? Interesting!:D

My sister and b-i-l are flying home from Washington DC today - I think they'll find it a touch milder here!:lol: Hope the flight has been OK - should be in the UK by now.

Helen
01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Mauren, yes that is our lake. It's the other side and Chicago always gets lots of wind, in fact it's called the Windy City, so it was even colder over there.... glad I'm on this side.

Mary, I thought about trying that with Warner but it was too cold for him to be outside with the windchill.... it's warming up.... all the way up to 10F and no wind this morning. Maybe when he comes Friday we can do it.

This is the morning dh had his procedure, had his wattle removed. Somehow it doesn't seem fair but the way men's chins and necks are built removing the wattle is a simple, not very expensive procedure. Took less than an hour. No idea yet what it looks like as he is all wrapped up in bandage, stitches come out tomorrow. For me to have the same thing would be major plastic surgery and much more expensive; I think he ought to pay for it though. Kidding, I'm not inclined. I've maintained the weight loss of 2012 through 2013. A year later and the skin just isn't going to fit but I think I'd like to get rid of another 10 now that I know how to keep it off. Once that's done I may change my mind about that surgery.

Charlie's Mum
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Lol, that doesn't seem fair Helen - now he'll have a nice firm jawline? :envy: ... I'm not sure how we can avoid the extra flesh/skin around the jaw, think it's in the genes!

Not sure I could go under the knife :eek: ...... now if exercises worked, I would like my clear jaw line back!;)

Valri Ary
01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Brrrrrr.....I was in Orlando over Christmas and New Years....escaped the cold weather there to return to Olympia, Washington to gray skies and rain. Ugh

I got engaged in Orlando. My fiancée asked each of my sons permission before proposing. Awwwwwww. Should have seen the waterworks!!

Wishing all of you a wonderful year of creativeness and joy!!

crispur2005
01-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Oh My Goodness!! The news here has been full of the Arctic freeze in North America and the dreadful storms in Europe. Stay warm and safe my friends. Those photos are so amazing Helen and your ice bubbles Mary.

VALRI!!! congratulations!! Imagine squealing and hugging and jumping up and down in place of these:clap: :clap: :clap:( I wish I knew how to get those clever little animations )

skappy
01-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Helen that pict is amazing brr stay warm
Mary I've never heard of a frozen bubble before

Bonnie Maui is great went a couple of times a bit far from here 18 hours but it is beautiful lve Lahaina hrbour and the coast road on the east sideif you like bends!!! have a wonderful time
Robert

Charlie's Mum
01-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Congratulations Valri - hope you'll be very happy:)

Morning all :wave: .......... got to go looking at ideas to update our en suite - guess we'll be trailing around!:)

skappy
01-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Wow congrats Valry best wishes
Robert:cat:

Helen
01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
So happy for you Valri, you deserve a good one and sounds like he is....

We have sunshine today and it's a tad warmer though I don't know what the temp is, haven't looked. I've been updating my blog, put in the daily sketches I've done so for this year, with the exception of New Years Day, one a day. Here's a link (http://www.helenlystra.blogspot.com/)if you want to see.

guilliame
01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Hey i'm sorry to hear of the extreme winter temperatures,hope everyone is safe and warm,great photo's to look at though:eek:
Valri CONGRATULATIONS:clap:
Well the River Stour runs behind my place,lucky for me that myself and my neighbour on the right are on a higher elevation than my neighbours on the left whose gardens were flooded,i had about an inch of water creeping in the rear of my garden so i was ok,further down river the stour burst it's banks in Christchurch and severe flooding where people had to be evacuated,we have been told that the flood warming for my area off:crossfingers: no more heavy rain.
Hopefully can start some paintings soon.

Charlie's Mum
01-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Guilli, I've been concerned about you knowing how much flooding there's been down your way ... glad you're ok!

missswiss
01-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone. Valri, congratulations. When is the wedding? I take you are back in Canada. It was much warmer here today, suppose to warmer yet tomorrow. A 70 degree spread in a few days is a lot. I asked Saunie about showing you how the picture is done with the foil and she said she would do it. Now if I can video it and put it on for you all I will. Have a great week. Have to go see what Maureen has for us this week.

Charlie's Mum
01-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Thanks Mary - if not a video, then stills would be good as a demo thread we could put in the Hall of Fame. :)

Helen
01-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Hey Gulli, glad you are okay. Since I don't know the geography of your country very well I didn't know where anyone was with the exception of Maureen who is up in an area we visited and loved.

Yes Mary, stills would work.

After the chilling blizzard we're having a heat wave, it's 37f here today.

Charlie's Mum
01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
37F - at least you can venture out and the icicles will be gone!:)
That cold weather is now heading here but won't be nearly as cold as when it left the States - thank goodness!

Helen
01-12-2014, 10:30 PM
My desk has been clear of clutter for several months... I am so proud! Now it's time to tackle the studio. Instead of a resolution this year I decided to just pick a word to live with for the year. The word is release. Already I've managed to let go of a lot of clutter but you wouldn't know it by looking at my studio. This is after getting rid of a lot of stuff. Still more to go but I figure if I've been able to keep my office desk clear I ought to be able to do this so that's my job for the rest of this month....get rid of clutter so I can do some work in there. This weekend's wde I had to do in the kitchen while I was watching Downtan Abbey.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2014/998-studio_before.JPG

Eye
01-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Happy New Year everyone.... wish you all more fun art time and plenty of endless art energy.

Valri: Congratulations on such a sweet moment.

Helen: I see yr studio ... I am trying to clearing out some of my house too. Best of luck to that arrangement mission.

For those of you in the polar cold spell, I hope you life is back to normalcy.

Here is the update of my youngest duaghther, Lily. Now she is almost 4 yr old. Her hyper fun loving energy has kept me out of big painting time for the past few yrs. I hope to be able to do more WDE this yr.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2014/4926-Lily_dec2013.JPG

Charlie's Mum
01-13-2014, 05:36 AM
She's growing fast Ai - and an artist too! She's very cute! (and she'll hate us saying that in a few years time!)

Helen - a woman after my own heart ;) - just the way my studio looks after clearing :lol: ..... I just cannot keep the place tidy and this year a serious effort is needed to sort out all the work stacked in different places - ugh - I should just bin it!

Paulafv
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR to All!
CONGRATULATIONS to Valri. Wishing you the very best for the future with that cute husband to be of yours. Very good touch to check with your sons first. He sounds like a keeper.
Bonnie, have a ball in Maui, warm breezes, salt water, jumping dolphins and tropical foods.
Looking forward to spring with 9" of soft fluffy snow falling yesterday, but with Dave the Plowguy plowing and shoveling, my car is available and ready to go anywhere I want it to. Still went out to shovel a path for the mailman from the street to my door early in the a.m. Good time to clear the car before it freezes as has happened in the past.
Restored my pc back to "factory condition" in error just before New Years when my hand slipped off the edge of the desk and made the wrong choice. For once, I was speechless. Had Copernic which promised to restore all my files but wasn't able to do it. New APPLE is quite a learning curve for me, but as long as I learn something every day, by the time I'm 120, I should have it down pat. I opted for the "magic trackpad," instead of the mouse, just to make my life easier when I get older and everything will be like this. In case you're curious, everything is different in Apple. Took one 1-hr course which doesn't begin to cover the possibilities or the pit-falls. Need another beginner course, when the weather is calmer.

Saw the Sargent Watercolor Exhibit at the Museum in Boston. (The Museum, is always the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Other museums go by their names.
My daughter Laura and I went sans children - one off at another museum with my son and the little one happy at home with her dad. I finally joined and saved $$ on entrance fees, lunch, and more importantly parking. The original paintings are lovely, but the book I'd already purchased is nearly as good. Have the calendar for this year, but hate to despoil it with writing - excellent reproductions there too. With our joint membership, we could go to the Museum every month and maybe more often with kids 17 and younger free. There is a kids area that is fun and friendly and lots of creative materials are readily available (like my house).

So, all in all, have some challenges and lots of great things happening in the coming year. Most important, I have good health, if I don't go blind with this tiny print....:) Happy, Healthy...

Ai, put down some paper and give her some paint. She can join you painting :)

Helen
01-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Ai, she's adorable!

Paula, would love to see that exhibit, a bit far to drive though.

Well, I went sking this weekend... great skiing until the last run. Things learned, when one is a few weeks short of 75 and has been skiing hard all day and it's icy, one should not make the last run a black diamond. Took a spill and the ski didn't release so I'm hobbling now. Nothing broke which is a plus at my age, I figure it's an osteoporosis test if my bones don't break. Up to that run it was a great time, conditions were okay, no wind so the low temp (10F) wasn't bad and there were no lines. Urgent care confirmed, no break, probably sprained. I have a boot that helps keep my ankle straight and Warner knows Grandma has to be careful. This too shall pass.

artastic
01-24-2014, 07:38 AM
hey everyone, haven't popped in for a bit, only 10 more sleeps till Maui
our friends who are already there are planning some fun stuff for us
I am taking tons of photos (so will be hosting a WDE when I get back), as well a my ipad, so will be in touch
CONGRATS Valri, that is so great you will have to tell us all about your plans
Helen, wonderful photo and have been hearing of all the storms south and along the eastern seaboard too (similar to our Maritimes)
we just had deadly cold in Jan, but not much for the snow (1/4 of what we had last year)
extremes that is what the world is experiencing, yesterday it was -26 at 6am, and +2 by 5pm
this week is all around zero or above freezing
weird, but I will take it after the colder than normal winter we have had so far
Helen so sorry to hear about the injury, so good that you guys ski every winter. your studio looks like mine, I am on the way to cleaning up a bit, my nephew is bringing a couple bookshelves to store at my place when he moves, so I will utilize them in the studio , planning on a major downsizing this summer will start the planning when I get back from our trip
Paula the Sargent exhibit sounds fabulous, when I was in London, I felt the same about spending a day with WM Turner. so amazing to see the works in person
Ai what a big girl! my they have grown quick, where has the time gone? hope you will have some painting time again soon, she will be in school soon too.
Mary: happy travels
Guilli, glad the floodwaters have not reached you
Robert, I have contacted RTi in Maui and we may be able to get together, their art group meets somewhere to paint every second wk, so hope to get one in.

the best thing, is that it is almost SPRING

Paulafv
01-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Bonnie, Thanks for affirming spring is on the way...I've been telling everyone, but they don't believe me. Only Feb, Mar then April gets some nice warm days, and finally, May flowers. I know Turner also used some gouache; did you notice it? I looked carefully and closely at the Sargents and guessed where he used it, but couldn't really tell. No thick applications or colors showing through, but he was somewhat of a perfectionist.
Helen, no osteoporosis for sure. You must have good strong bones, strengthened no doubt by your skiing and bike riding. We get older and find out we're in better shape than we thought we were. Maintaining good health is key to a fun old age :) (Being the same age as Helen, I can say that.) Forgot to mention to Ai that Lily is a beauty. Same name as my mother, who also had lots of energy as a 4 yr old I heard.

Charlie's Mum
01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
..... good bones ...... we were made to last!!;);):lol:

artastic
01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
our human form is an amazing bit of architecture to be sue, we are so fragile, yet so resilient

keep strong my friends

Eye
01-31-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks yall on your kind words of my daughter, Lily. I'll try to see if she can mess with any WDE or not.

Bonnie: Have fun in Hawaii.....