PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for January 2014

Dougwas
12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug

robertsloan2
01-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Well... let's see. Goal for 2014: work toward becoming self supporting again.

January goals:
1) Finish writing Arts and Aspirations (formerly Steampunk Twins).
2) Fill my Sketchbook Project sketchbook, register it and send it in. I'm riding deadline on that thing! It's awful! How did I let it ride so long? Arrgh!
3) Generally do some art and writing.

I honestly don't know if I'll get the Sketchbook Project done, even if I just take out markers and start doing fast loose sketches throughout. It just seems so... overwhelming... that many drawings in 10 days... all 32 pages really. I've got like maybe 1 page penciled and that's it. OW

But I would really like to play with pastels too. Or Pan Pastels. Eh, they work on regular paper.

Mij
01-01-2014, 04:54 AM
Thank you Doug for hosting. And so promptly as well.
Achievable goals there Robert - just try them. You'll never know if you don't. I realize though that there are limitations.

January 2014 goals

I intend to really tackle all mediums this year. I want to do something in each medium every month.To that end I will try to get practiced in and complete an image in each of the mediums. I want to be able to try miniatures also, oils or acrylics. My art goals for January 2014 are :-

Attend a watercolour session with JFD. Complete 'Tidal Sunset' on the 18th Jan. 2014. He has a WC session once a month in Findon hall.
Finish an acrylic started quite a few months ago....
Attend 4 portrait classes and keep practicing with whatever medium our teacher advocates (I believe the next is WC pencils)
Start/complete if possible an oil painting.
Use charcoal/graphite for an outdoor sketch.
Make a start on the other side of the pastel box.
If 3 above is not in pastels then do a spotlight that is.
Observe JV's webinar on the 4th January - oops! Clash – Archery annual dinner at 19:00. Ah well I'll have to watch JV's recording when it goes up a few days later. My non art goals are :-
Journey to Bexhill Archery shop. Get measured for arrows for a recurve bow and order a set of twelve.
Attend two sessions of arrow shooting practice (Wont get my recurve arrows in time for all sessions)
Set up and try out the compound bow at home with the target inside the garage – i.e. shoot into the garage for safety,
Take some ancient paint remains to the recycling centre.
Tidy up the yard, it's use as an external fridge over the Christmas period and the autumnal fall of leaves has left it somewhat untidy.
Continue with my mass reduction – after the Christmas hiccup (or should I say hics?) I have gained brumptylbs (interpretation, brumpty=too many)
Get new bank security device and implement.
jim

keepingpure
01-01-2014, 04:33 PM
My Goals for January:

1) Find/use a technique that is out of my comfort zone in at least one of my paintings this month.
2) Complete a "January Spotlight" picture.
3) Do at least three smaller pictures.
4) Work on at least one cat (or other animal) picture.
5) Paint one larger painting.
6) Order and experiment with different kinds of paper.

I think that's enough to start with. :-D

robertsloan2
01-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Ambitious goals, Jim! I love your energy. You get so much done when you make a big list like that.

Rebecca, looks like some of yours can combine easily. That's an elegant list - there's a cat in the Spotlight, some of the photos might be outside your comfort zone, which one you do large is up to you... that's just great!

I have made a start on mine today! Yes! I had three pages penciled, not just one, and I inked them all decently with Tombow brush pens. Three finished pages is a good start. I figured out that I could work on rereading the book to catch up on where I left off, while doing the day's Sketchbook Project penciling... then when I get to where I left off, do the day's chapter and sketches. Thus actually make the sketchbook what I wanted, a sort of diary of the process of doing the book with a lot of teasers but no major spoilers.

Text can fill areas around the sketches too, and block lettered text takes up a lot of space even if it's short text! Not that I'll do pages of text, but one of those pages was all calligraphy. The next had a small cat sketch at the bottom and the text was most of the page. Then a full page drawing of a street scene that I am very happy about now. So that's 3 down, 29 to go and 14 or 15 days to do it in.

I also got the sketchbook registered, so they won't have problems cataloguing it. Whew! Major goal accomplished considering how I felt today (lazy and sleepy). Penciling did help!

Dougwas
01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Robert- Good luck filling the sketch book. I know you can do it! You are already off to a good start. You will find that happy balance between art and writing, but you are being creative with either subject and I am sure that is important to you. Keep at it. Good luck with your plan to become self supporting again!

Jim- By looking at your goals I can see we are a lot alike. I think that working with different mediums helps keep the excitement alive and you can learn something in one medium that can help you in another. Good luck with all your goals and have fun doing them! And good luck with that box!:angel:

Rebecca- I love your #1 goal. If you don't experiment and try different things, then how can you learn? It is fun to try different things and we are often surprised at the results. Your goals will keep you busy this month. Good luck with all those paintings.

Doug

Dougwas
01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about my artistic journey and where I want to go with it. To me, the most important thing to do to grow as an artist is to spend as much time as possible at the easel. Unfortunately, sometimes I am physically unable to sit at my easel and that is when the guilt starts building up. I set goals regarding painting time and I can't keep them. So what is one supposed to do?

I have come to the conclusion that if I can't paint, I can read art books or watch art videos, read art blogs and look at artist's web sites. I might also be able to tidy up my studio or prepare some paper or boards. So instead of setting a strict painting schedule, I can set a "studio time" schedule. Mind game! :evil:

My goals for January 2014

1) Soar! (It means something to me)

2) Spend five hours a day, five days a week in my studio doing art related things. Painting is the number one priority.

3) Paint two pastel paintings worthy enough of entering the the Pastel Canada online show and take photos of the paintings and email the entry by January 30th.

4) Paint an abstract pastel painting with a grid theme for Debora Stewart's FB challenge.

5) Tidy up my work stations.

6) Finish sorting my pastels into the Dakota boxes and organize my pastel painting area.

Instead of getting more pastels that I didn't need (I am sure I have enough pastels to last me my lifetime and the lifetime of my children and their children:o ) my wife got me one large and one small Dakota wooden boxes for Christmas (Well, I actually ordered them, but she wrapped them for Christms:D ) I measured my table and it seemed like a large and small was the best way to go. They do look a lot nicer than the foamcore boxes I made five years ago. I can now store them away if I want to use the pastel table for something else. I am not handy with tools, so making something was out of the question. I need all my fingers for painting.:lol:

Doug

robertsloan2
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
That is a great idea, Doug. If you can't paint at the easel, can you do small studies sitting in your chair? A lot of my works are small so I can keep them in my lap.

Mij
01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
A fine set of goals Rebecca! And to do something out of your comfort zone will really tweak your interest. As Robert said some of them combine so, can be achieved with less effort on your part.

Hiya Robert and you have made a start already. Well done. It is getting motivated and then springing into gear.........Well talk is cheap isn't it :lol:.

Hi Doug, yes I can see where it is easier to sit and read/watch a DVD rather than do some picture making. Even more so when pain or discomfort is your limiting factor. Heck I do that now..... I am using a set of warm/cool primaries plus white and black of a system 3 acrylics that I got some 22 years ago. How's that for procrastinating? Yes by all means vary the medium and the target. Then combining goals achieves so much more. It also helps and keeps the interest level high.

I must be a procrastinator extraordinaire. I need to get right on things early in the morning so preparation of the process the night before is crucial to getting things done. I still forget things and miss things off the list. I some times have to go shopping etc. or taxi SWMBO about if her head is wobbly (she gets that a lot with MS). I left the computer re-build off January's goals. I have had the new mother board here from China some 4/5 weeks now but Christmas and all that. Ah well February is only next month.......
I did start early today with a spotlight so one goal down-quite a few to follow though.
The new code for my bank security gizmo hasn't yet arrived. So today when attempting to purchase something online my card was declined. I was gobsmacked and checked my details. All was correct. It was my bank who must have earmarked my account after it was fraudulently used by someone last month. They rang me to determine if it was me trying to make the purchase.
Ah well, saved me a few pounds sterling there :lol:. I didn't bother to chase the seller after the bank called.
jim

keepingpure
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
My Goals for January:

1) Find/use a technique that is out of my comfort zone in at least one of my paintings this month.

Well, if you look in the Spotlight for January 2014, you'll see that in one picture I accomplished goals 1,2, and 4.

I didn't know if anyone would be interested, but you want to know what my work space looks like? :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2014/1455022-DPP_0001.JPG

Yup! I work on the floor, for the most part. One of these days, when I'm rich and famous... :lol: I'll have a craft cottage with a nice, big, adjustable drawing table, a set of drawers or boxes to keep my 1,000 pastels organized, framing and mat cutting equipment, and a large "filing cabinet" to keep all my papers...

Forgive my rambling, but a girl can dream, can't she? :cat:

Oh yes and Doug, if you think you've got too many pastels, you could always send some my way! :lol:

robertsloan2
01-05-2014, 03:40 AM
Love the photo of your work space! Mine is more cramped, I sit in my chair and use my lap with a clipboard or drawing board or just the pad the paper came from, with whatever pastels I'm using balanced on some side table beside me or spread between my lap, the walker and a side table. It's also occupied with my laptop. I have lots of pastels but they're hot bunking which set is on top on the walker and the large sets leave me blocked in to not get up till I'm done painting.

I would be using the floor if I laid out all of my Pan Pastels, though I used to have a drafting table. It's useful to see your palette, I just critiqued your kitty in depth. Congratulations on goals 1, 2 and 4 done in fabulous success! That is a sweet kitten! Changes that make it a different one only add to its charm.

If you do the mixing grid I suggested, be sure to make one with all the earth tones and grays. That can be very useful when you don't have tints of earth tones and grays or don't have the right earth tone or gray. Mixes of the brights will be mostly various muted colors or secondary colors. All the complement mix neutrals show up on the grid.

Nothing done on the 2nd. Yesterday on the 3d, I penciled four pages of the Sketchbook Project and got to skip a page because an artist I met at the hospital where I went in for my clinic visit asked if he could draw in it. He filled a page with a film noir looking tough guy in an odd suit and hat with two guns, very tough fellow! Completely off topic but he's a guest post. I didn't explain the topic on purpose. There's no guns in the novel but the sketchbook can have an off topic page, I wanted to see his work (and finish on time or fill as many pages as possible before mailing.)

Today, nothing, due to physical exhaustion from yesterday's exertions and to spending the whole day in IM with my daughter Kitten. Tomorrow if I feel better I'll try to pencil some more pages or ink the ones I have, one or the other. Only 24 pages to go. Must be postmarked the 15th and it'd be safer to turn it in on the 14th so it goes out on the 15th no matter what. I also need to find a freaking envelope or make one - can't get at the money to buy postage online and do not have my printer working, so it has to be a real envelope. Whoops. This may take going to Walgreens with the dang thing when it's done. Or recycle a padded mailer and be sure to scrub out the previous Priority Mail stickers on it, just put enough postage on to get it there. Found a mailer I can use.

getdusty
01-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Man, everyone has so many great goals. I find the more I set, the more I don't accomplish. So, I have but one, and maybe, just maybe, I will I get it done.....paint, paint, paint....(now, let's see....)

Mij
01-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi Doug, it's just that I like all of the individual mediums and not one strikes me as being the one I prefer to the exclusion of the rest. The one where I have got a block on is oil pastels. I have tried Rosy at least 5 times if not more. I just don't know why that is as I managed the Shetland pony and our old dog Rexus fine. Perhaps Robert could help me there.

Hello Rebecca, you achieved that working on the floor? Well done you. If I got down there I'd need help getting up again – an indication of the mass I have still to shift. I looked at your cat and defer to Robert as the cat expert. He has given an in depth feedback on it and I agree. It looks great and I am envious of your ability to make fur look so convincing. My work space is the dining room table where I use a table top easel. I am limited in rear-ward space and am unable to step back from it. so a special glass that diminishes the object serves that purpose whilst painting. When completed I drop it in a chair in another room and walk away from it.

Peg, it is difficult to get started with goals isn't it? Yes 'just paint' is a good goal and covers almost everything. I find it helpful to enlarge the font and print it out. Put that where I procrastinate most and I have a reminder of what I should be doing.

I have managed some goals/parts of goals already as I attended our first portrait class of the year yesterday (the model wanted no photo's and no online images), followed by a trip to the archery shop to order a dozen arrows for the re-curve bow. Whilst in that region we visited Colleen who underwent a general anesthetic yesterday for the removal of kidney stones. Her boyfriend (SWMBO's grand son) brought her home last evening after the ward rounds.
I have also received the new code for online banking and managed to set that up as well.
I could not locate (mislaid Robert and it's too big for my pocket) the third miniature canvas for my eldest sister and had to order some more. I will do one which will remind her of her early life. The mislaid miniature canvas will now turn up, probably on a shelf and will inevitably be chuckling to itself that I was fooled yet again. I did a drawing which I was unsatisfied with so acryliced over it and started again. This time it is fine.
Jim

Mij
01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
I have since completed the graphite sketch on the miniature canvas and is here :-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339651
for the image junkies (I am one as well :lol: so you are in good company). Now that is my graphite piccie, I will next apply some acrylic!
jim
PS I forgot the size- 16 cms X 12 cms miniature canvas or 6.25" X 4.75" in old money.

Dougwas
01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Jim- I know what you mean. Sometimes I like holding a pastel in my hand and the next hour I feel like holding a brush. Then you start painting with watercolor and the next thing you know, you feel like painting in oils. I don't think I will ever just paint in one medium, but I think pastels will be the medium I always go back to.

I checked out your drawing and it looks like you are off to a great start. You will have to let us know when you are finished painting it.

There are a lot of tricks when using oil pastels. There is a lot of blending done in op's, and there are many tools you can use. I have used tortillions, blending stumps, clickable erasers, color shapers and my fingers. If you use sanded surfaces you can use these tools to push the pastel into the tooth so you can put another color on top. Op's also set, or harden over night and the next day you can put more pastel on. A quicker way to set the op's is to put the painting in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes. You can also use a fridge, but the painting has to stay in there longer. When I started op's I was looking for answers on how to use them and I found out that there was very little info out there. Trial and error and the OP section of WC were the best way for me to learn. I am sure you will get the hang of them. If you have any questions just PM me and I will try to help you.

Rebecca- Whatever works for you! At least if you drop a pastel stick on the floor the chances of not breaking it are greater. The problem with a larger working area is it is a larger area to clutter up and clean.;) Sorry, I will be keeping all my pastels.:evil:

Robert- I know you are moving along on the sketchbook from your posts on FB. Good going. Interesting how you let someone else sketch in your book. I hope you get the postage figured out.

I guess I am doing okay with the goals. I finished an 11 x 14 abstract painting for Debora Stewart's FB challenge, but it has been too cloudy and dull outside to take a decent photo. I did 5 or six 5 x 7 studies before doing the painting. Before the studies I did some B & W value sketches. That was a lot of work for one painting, but I am learning it is a needed process. I also finished sorting my pastels and cleaning up my pastel painting area, so that is two goals done. I haven't been able to put in five hours a day and think I will change that goals to be four hours a day five days a week. Theat sounds more manageable.

Doug

BEFORE
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2014/102199-IMG_16641.jpg

AFTER
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2014/102199-IMG_16671.jpg

PASTEL STORAGE
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2014/102199-IMG_16701.jpg

Judibelle
01-09-2014, 08:11 AM
WOW Doug! I am so impressed with the transformation! great job!
Jim...Nice start with the graphite. Looking forward to seeing the acrylic added...

I didn't set any goals this month....if I get anything done, it will be a plus.

getdusty
01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
WOW, Doug, your pastels look great....so many of them...beautiful.(and wall storage, too!)
I have to revamp my box as I used a gift card and bought Maggie Price's Essential Grays (Terry Ludwigs) and Unison's landscape set of 36. So, now I need to go back through and cull those that have not been touched by human hands other than to be placed into the box and incorporate the new kids on the block. There is just something so appealing about looking at all those colors, surrounded by their friends, looking happy.
Jim saw your sketch and it looks like a great start. Can't wait to see the progress and then the finished piece.
Robert good work on your sketchbook.
Rebecca love your "studio". My back wouldn't allow me to work from that position, I'm afraid. Pretty unfriendly of Doug to not share his bounty with you :lol:

Mij
01-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Doug, what a work over! That is almost a transformation from chaos into organization! You did well and deserve a round of applause :clap:. That really is getting the goals done.

Hi there Judibelle. Not setting any goals does mean anything done is a plus. But it is a minus if yours was to do nothing i.e. rest.

Hi Peg and thanks for the comment about my miniature sketch.

I spent today starting to do a grid mix of my old System 3 acrylics ( a warm and cool set of primaries plus black and white) to see what colours I get. I only did the lemon yellow – that took an inordinate amount of time to accomplish. Perhaps I've done sufficient to make a start on the miniature.
I had a call from the archery shop because my arrows are ready. I did not realize that they now do them in house. Last year they were out-sourcing the Taylor making of arrows.
Jim

keepingpure
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow Doug! You've got me almost envious of your color palette! Maybe one day I'll have that many colors... I can't wait!!!!

Oh, and I just got my paper in today!!!! I am SO excited. I didn't get a chance to pick up the pastels this week because of work, but Lord willing I'll catch up next week.

I got several different selections of paper, sticking with mostly less expensive paper. I did, however get one sheet of Velour paper, and I've got a few practice pictures to do before I attempt the picture I want to on it. Here is a list of the paper I got.

MURANO PAPER - LVNDR 19INX25IN
500 SRS CHARCOAL PAD - 9X12 ASSRT TINTS
PREM SANDED PASTEL - 9X12 500 GRIT SHT
COLOURFIX PAPER - SAND 9X12
HAHNM VELOUR PAPER - MID GRY 19INX27IN
SHIZEN PASTEL PAPER - DK GRN 19X25 SHT
MIRVIANO TIZIANO - LT BLU GRY 20X26 160
MIRVIANO TIZIANO - SAHARA 20X26 160GSM
CANSON INGRES - MNSTONE BLK 19X25

So as you can see, I've got a lot of playing to do!

Dougwas
01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Judi- I hope everything is going well with your husband and you are not running yourself into the ground. Sending positive thoughts your way.:wave:

Peg- My Maggie Price Essential Grey set is in the far wooden box. I treated myself with the cash I got from the oil pastel show a while back. I haven't used them very much yet, but I can see where they will come in handy. You will enjoy using those Unisons. I have the half stick set and a few others and really like them. There is nothing better than opening a new box of pastels. :heart:

Jim- And it still looks that way after a few paintings! It took a few days, but I think it will pay off in the long run. It sounds like you are enjoying your acrylics. Make sure you let us know when you finish the miniature painting. Good news about your arrows.

Rebecca- The collection grew every Christmas for a few years. My wife would say to get something I wouldn't normally buy for myself. The Girault landscape set was last years gift. This year I figured I had enough pastels (What was my first clue?:lol: ) and went for the Dakota boxes for storage. After 8 years of painting in pastels, all those small sets add up and now they will look neat when not in use.

Have fun testing all that paper. You just never know what paper suits your purpose until you try it. It took me a while to get used to Pastelmat, but after a while I started to understand how to use it and it became one of my favorites.

I did some other b & w sketches last night and did one small coloured study today. I wanted to do more but I just can't do anything else today. Having a bad few days and hope like heck that I can paint tomorrow.

Doug

doodler321
01-13-2014, 06:16 AM
Doug your organization is incredible!

I just began painting in pastels last year and already I can't keep up with the disorder I create. One goal of mine for this month is to sort my pastels by value and hue; I have finished the soft and started on the hard. I am posting a few pics of my painting/office space. The before pic shows more order than the later ones ;)
If anyone here sees problems with my sorting of pastels by value, please help me out.
Before
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2014/1173698-photo_2.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2014/1173698-photo_1.JPG
After
(Don't know why this pic is rotated)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2014/1173698-filing.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2014/1173698-photo_4.JPG

Mij
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Judi, I hope that your hubby is continuing to make good progress.

Cor! What a lot of papers Rebecca! Keep tabs on what works best for you and I will take note. Yes you will enjoy playing with them.

Well done on the grey set Peg. That is one set that will be well worth getting because I tend to over colour things.

Doug so you managed to put them back in the correct order after using them? Well done, that's not the unorganized artist though is it? Or perhaps having taken time to sort them you saw that you'd have to do it again.

Hello and welcome to Elizabeth. You have a nice workspace and set of pastels. I do see a few not sharing the same value slot. How do I tell? Save the image and convert it to greyscale – or de-saturate it depending on your software. They show up very easily then.

I've had extra goals this month – had to grid my colours in my acrylics but cut it short by doing those I needed most. The greens and greys. I need those for the mini-canvas I'm doing for eldest sis. I did the greens and greys today, cor they take so long and my steps where I lightened them with white are unequal as well. I satisfied myself that I would adjust the chroma of the hue/mix at the time of the painting.
I also have to take SWMBO's car for it's service and first MOT on Friday down at Seaford. Today was a trip to the Dr's and then shopping. Where on earth did I find the time to go to work?
jim

getdusty
01-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Elizabeth, which pastel set did the dog and cat come in? Your set up looks good.
Jim, glad the arrows are ready. I ask myself the same thing....how did I ever work? The M.P. grays are my colors. We're opposite, I need to learn to put more color in my paintings.
Doug, I'm looking forward to using the Unisons. I was considering just using the MP grays and the Unisons for my next painting and see how it will come out, but there's something scary about that idea. I guess having all my colors is like having a security blanket.
Judi, hope your husband is recovering nicely.
Rebecca, I'm looking forward to hearing your paper reviews.

Mij
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Still plugging away here at home:lol:. I have painted the miniature but as soon as I put it up I realized it had a perspective problem. Also the light here fades early and I did not allow for that. I hope I can do a clickable link here:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339651

to save you all floundering around if you are not miniature-ites.
jim

getdusty
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Jim, looked at your posting and commented there :)

robertsloan2
01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Congratulations on all that arranging and sorting, Elizabeth! You have a great collection and it looks much more usable now. Go you! THanks for pics!

I've been sick. Blech. Reprise of flu-ish caught something. Been building up to that days on end feeling lousy even more than usual, today after going out yesterday wham, symptoms full force. Gonna be another month like November with not much done. :P

keepingpure
01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Ugh! Robert, I hope and pray that you'll be feeling better soon!

Yesterday was the first chance I had to sit down to my pastels. I'm doing a picture with both sky and water on 500 SRS CHARCOAL paper. The paper is okay, I like the texture, but am still having trouble with not being able to put enough layers on it.

I'm really having a difficult time with the clouds.

I'm not on my computer now, but I'll try to get a picture up ASAP. I need some help with this one!

getdusty
01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Robert, glad to hear from you. I was just wondering if perhaps you weren't feeling well as I hadn't seen posts by you. Hope you feel better.

keepingpure
01-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Here is the picture I'm working on, can someone give me a hand with the clouds? I like the colors I used, but the shading and general shape of the clouds are all wrong.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2014/1455022-from_camera_001.jpg

I haven't finished the cliff yet, I still have a bunch of trees to do up there, but please help me with my clouds!

I'm not 100% pleased with the water, but looking at it from a distance instead of standing over it with pastel in hand makes it look a lot better.

And, of course, if you see anything else "wrong" that I should change, please do so!

Thanks in advance!

keepingpure
01-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Hey! Is there anyone who can give me any tips on my clouds? I'd REALLY appreciate any help you could give!

Dougwas
01-18-2014, 11:18 PM
My paintings usually have clear skies or just hints of clouds, because I am still unsure how to paint them. Here are a few links from the Learning Center. You might want to check You Tube for some demos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505572&highlight=clouds

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486953&highlight=clouds

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289836&highlight=clouds

I hope this helps.

Doug

Colourist52
01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Rebecca, If you post your painting on the Studio and Gallery page you'll get lots of help!

keepingpure
01-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Well, it's not perfect, but the more I look at it, the more I think I'm pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? I appreciate any C&C you would give!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2014/1455022-WP_20140121_006.jpg

It's 9" x 12" done on back side of Canson MiTienes Paper (don't have it here, so pardon the spelling!)

Mij
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm like most peeps that post here – trying to learn this art whilst setting goals to that end.
You will get best advice and C&C'ing from the main pastel forum for completed images.
Having said that this looks fine to me. You have managed a lovely sparkle over the sea.:thumbsup:

The book advice seems good “Finding Your Style In Pastel”, by Jean Hirons. It is a bit expensive to get, even the soft cover costs £34.00. However, the eBook version is just $3.49 but it does not allow a UK addy. I find this a strange anomaly seeing that many European countries are included.
Does anyone know of a URL that deals with the UK in this ebook?
Jim

keepingpure
01-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Ah! Okay! I'm going to have to try that. I was going to try to post in WIP, but at that time I couldn't start a new thread in there. I see that I can start one in the gallery.

So question, should I just do a thread for all my art? Or do separate threads? That would be a lot, at least three a month!

Mij
01-25-2014, 05:06 PM
should I just do a thread for all my art? Or do separate threads? That would be a lot, at least three a month!
It is usual to start a new thread for each image unless that exceeds more than one a day, in which case, one puts them in the same thread. This ensures that one does not monopolize the front page - although I might be corrected here :clear: :crossfingers:
Ummm if all else fails, I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the page. Although it's a long time since I've been there :angel:
jim

robertsloan2
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Rebecca, good job on those clouds with light breaking through. Dramatic lighting effects in that entire painting, I love the sense of depth and distance and light. Well done! You have a keeper.

Cloud shapes vary immensely. The important thing is to try to keep them from becoming too symmetrical. The water looks good too. It helps to have a good reference and really pay attention to it - which I think you must have done with this one.

I'm still fighting this same cold. It's at the runny stage that's actually "better" in one sense but much more miserable symptoms as it's hard to cough. Coughing has left me with massive muscle spasms and an actual bruise from a place where a capillary ruptured in a muscle spasm. I'm weaker through having fought it this long, feels like the whole month is massive exertion and that's just fighting off the cold.

So I've gotten nothing done and don't seem likely to this month either. Super frustrating when I even had a kitten in the Spotlight. Mew!

ullahennig
01-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Hi everybody! I am sorry for having been absent for such a long time. I have been quite busy doing art related things - rediscovered acrylic painting, did some drawings coloured with coloured pencils. And I rediscovered my pastels on last Saturday and managed to finish a piece which I uploaded to Wet Canvas. It is called "Dreamy Tree". I had fun doing it, and so my goal for the rest of the month is:

Do another pastel painting.

Mij
01-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi there Robert, I am sorry to hear you are still suffering with a cold. I was looking up a recipe this evening and came across a cold cure - but don't know if it will help (or hinder).
It suggests that the sufferer peels and dices an onion or two and whilst sniffing breath in the onion vapours. I was peeling onions this evening to stuff some peppers and my eyes were watering and I don't have a cold! :lol:

Hi Ulla, how are you? Good goal for the latter part of this month - or the beginning of next. My headway has been stymied by one thing or another but we keep soldiering on. It is good to hear from you.:thumbsup:
jim

ullahennig
01-29-2014, 04:48 AM
Robert, I hope you are feeling better! Jim, I actually managed to get another pastel piece done yesterday. I did a bit of research in the forum about my pastel brand - Jaxell - and it seems that they are sold in the UK as well. They are more of the hardish kind, but I've got the impression that they do rather well with the watercolour paper. I will upload the painting tonight when I'll be back from work.

robertsloan2
01-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Looking forward to seeing the painting, Ulla!

THanks for the well wishes, everyone. Jim, that doesn't sound practical for me. I don't have a kitchen and have got a bit of trouble doing stuff like that even if I'm not sick, though the thought of fried onions would tempt me if I could eat. I haven't been eating much, it killed my sense of smell and taste so nothing appeals to me. Eh, might have lost weight again.

I think it's slowly on its way out. Today's more of a nasty tickle and unproductive cough - annoying but is a sign that it'll come to an end eventually. I hate losing an entire month to it though.

keepingpure
01-29-2014, 03:57 PM
My Goals for January:

All three pictures I've done this month fall into the category of goal 1 and 3, two of which fall into goal number two, one of which falls into goal 4. (Anyone confused yet?:angel: )

Goal 6 is one that I've partially completed. I've ordered paper, and have experimented with two kinds of the several that I got to try.

Another goal that I had set for this year, but not necessarily this month was to build my pastel collection. So...

I'm SUPER excited right now!!!!

I found the Prismacolor Nupastel 96 set on ebay, with shipping for $70!!!! So I just ordered it.

I'm about to flip! I'm SO EXCITED!!! I have maybe 60 colors now, and over half of them are the hard square off-brand pastels, so I CAN'T WAIT!!!

(Okay, bear with me here, I'm just a little happy!) :-D

Goal number 5 I was not able to accomplish, but I'm planning the one I'll do, analyzing reference pictures, putting together subjects with background, etc.

Lord willing, I'll at least have a good portion of it done in February!

keepingpure
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh and Robert, I hope and pray you ARE indeed recovering, and that you'll be your normal self very soon! It's so good to have you back!

Mij
01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
THanks for the well wishes, everyone. Jim, that doesn't sound practical for me. I don't have a kitchen and have got a bit of trouble doing stuff like that even if I'm not sick.

I think it's slowly on its way out. Today's more of a nasty tickle and unproductive cough - annoying but is a sign that it'll come to an end eventually.

So it would hinder more than help Robert. I thought it might but one of those things we pass on anyway.
The stuffed peppers went down a treat with SWMBO, she said that it was the best thing I've ever cooked her - and I did a lovely pork joint with terrific crackling a few weeks back when the family visited. I'll be doing the same again on Saturday and repeating the stuffed peppers as practice. So I will post my goals achievement list tomorrow as I will be busy on Friday and Saturday.

Well done Ulla on filling those goals, and one still to go. You have done well. :thumbsup:. It is surprising what can be achieved when writing these down here, it seems to spur me on, I don't know about others.
jim

Mij
01-30-2014, 05:20 AM
My art goals for January 2014 were :-

Attend a watercolour session with JFD. TICK 'Tidal Sunset' on the 18th Jan. 2014.
Finish an acrylic started quite a few months ago....NOPE
Attend 4 classes and keep practicing the portraits with whatever medium our teacher advocates TICK (but not any better)
Start/complete if possible an oil painting. NOPE
Use charcoal/graphite for an outdoor sketch. TICK
Make a start on the other side of the pastel box.NOPE
If 3 above is not in pastels then do a spotlight that is. TICK done the trees
Observe JV's webinar on the 4th January – oops! TICK Watched the recording,Art goals which were not planned:-
Practice mixing all colours especially the greens and greys from the three primaries + black and white in acrylics for a present for my eldest sister (5. above) Do a miniature canvas for
her. This took a very long time, was a tedious exercise but glad I did it.
I also had to download JV's webinar.

My non art goals are :-

Journey to Bexhill Archery shop. Get measured for arrows for a recurve bow and order a set of twelve. TICK– done on the 7/1/2014 collected on the 10/01/2014.
Attend two sessions of arrow shooting practice (Wont get my recurve arrows in time for all sessions) TICK Broke the nock off a new arrow and defletched three more. Had to return and get them cut shorter.
Set up and try out the compound bow with the target inside the garage – i.e. shoot into the garage for safety. NOPE put off until April when we go outside and I get another set of arrows for a compound bow.
Take some ancient paint remains to the recycling centre. TICK.
Tidy up the yard, it's use as an external fridge over the Christmas period and the autumnal fall of leaves has left it somewhat untidy. I/2 TICK only half done, continued rain stopped play.
Continue with my mass reduction – after the Christmas hiccup (or should I say hics?) I have gained brumpty lbs (interpretation, brumpty=too many) – back on the regime. TICK (but I have yet to lose as much as I gained over the 'excess' period)

Get new bank security device and implement. TICKThere were many interruptions to my retirement schedule last month that I was lucky to get done what I did. Never-the-less I am happy with the outcome.:clear::angel::wave: Roll on next month!
jim