PDA

View Full Version : Need help with entry for a bad day

zeropoint
12-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

Today was a bad day (mostly dealing with a lot of depression and frustration, as well as fatigue and burnout and financial troubles) and I was thinking about my art journal. I still haven't started it (I only decided Monday to start working on one), but I couldn't come up with anything creative that I would include for today if I started. They don't make cute stickers or cut-outs for this kind of thing, and I couldn't create or find an image that seemed to really nail how I was feeling. What do you do on days like this? Do you still journal?

vhere
12-27-2013, 04:04 AM
I don't do journals but I'd suggest drawing with some collage. Bits from newspapers or printouts from books, poems, medical articles, combined with your drawings

I'm not a great Wordsworth fan but there is a piece about depression that I still remember from school days ...

' and fears and fancies thick upon me came, dim sadness and blind thoughts I knew not nor could name'

I did an artists book at university based on a period of my life when I was juggling doing a degree, bringing up my family and working part time at a job I wasn't happy in. You can see here what I did

Vivien Blackburn Sketchbooks - ravelled sleaves
http://sitekreator.com/viviensketches/ravelled_sleaves.html

Again it involved poetry, a bit of Shakspeare with ' time that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care' and Stevie Smith 'Not waving but drowning' which is how I sometimes felt!

Hope this helps

Scattykat
12-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi zeropoint, can equate with your feelings, I think many creative types fall under the clouds of depression through their life. I started serious journalling when I injured my back a few years ago, and was able to do very little for a good while. I decided to sketch something each day from my garden or surroundings that grabbed me each day, made me smile or struck me as rather marvellous. A flower, a feather, a colourful piece of crockery, an empty snail shell etc... the process of looking for beauty and sharing it with friends on the internet was extremely cathartic, and definitely lifted my mood. Hope this helps a bit, and I sincerely hope your situation improves with the new year...

most of my journallings are on here, and the folks here at wetcanvas probably don't realise what a great tonic they were at that time for me, they are a great bunch...

here's a link if you want to have a peep...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524062

Studio-1-F
12-27-2013, 10:43 AM
? . . . What do you do on days like this? Do you still journal?
Absolutely journal on those days, the days when it's most important to get it out there. To let it go.

Suggestion: don't worry about making an "image", but just express feelings using abstract shapes and splashes of color. Remember finger painting as a child? Just let it flow out. :thumbsup:

Jan

DrDebby
12-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you've been given some possible ways to go with this. I personally end up writing, not drawing when I'm feeling low. Don't know why, that's just my personal way of dealing. I've even gone to the point of journal writing on separate sheets rather than a book so I could burn them when I was done. Hope you feel better soon.

zeropoint
12-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you all for your help.:) This is such a wonderfully supportive and creative community!