PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you'd known when you started

zeropoint
12-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Whee! Today in therapy I decided to keep an art journal, maybe 2. My therapist showed me pictures from a couple of hers. She likes to make them in old kids' books, and she keeps a bunch of old kids' books in her office to give to clients so they can start.

One thing she said that I liked was that sometimes when you share an image with people, they get it, whereas they may not have gotten it if you'd tried the same thing in words. I like that.

Anyway, I am very excited and think this will be a healthy habit as well as good for my creativity.

I just wondered if there was anything you wish you had known before you started. Advice for a beginner? Thanks!

vhere
12-24-2013, 06:03 PM
:wave: go for it!

Be true to yourself and don't think others are doing it 'right' and you aren't . Have fun.

DrDebby
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
I second what Vivien said. Don't worry about doing it "right". It's a place to have fun and create.

Marge Cameron
01-02-2014, 10:41 AM
I like the idea of using old kids' books. You'll have to post some images so we can see what you do with it. The only thing I could add is that there are no real mistakes in your sketchbook, only opportunities to learn from what you create. So relax and have fun with it!

Studio-1-F
01-02-2014, 11:43 AM
. . . . . Anyway, I am very excited and think this will be a healthy habit as well as good for my creativity. . . . . . I just wondered if there was anything you wish you had known before you started. Advice for a beginner? Thanks!
I might suggest thinking a little bit about separating journaling as a "healthy habit" from the idea of using a sketchbook to learn and practice and improve your art-making, if that's what you mean by "good for my creativity".

Using journaling as a good mental health habit, the goal is to relax, free yourself from constraint, explore without fear, ramble and roam into whatever realms you want to explore. There is no pressure to perform or get any kind of a result. Your good mental health habit journals are yours and yours alone. You share with no one, if that is your preference.

Using daily sketching to hone and improve your art making skills is, on the other hand, TOTALLY different. You have expectations of yourself, you have measurable goals, you have outside standards to which you are comparing your work. If you welcome it, in your art sketchbook the pressure is on to deliver the goods, however you chose to measure them.

I got these two mixed up initially and the journaling-as-relaxation goals kept getting sabotaged by "damn, that doesn't look at all like a strawberry" judgements on the quality of my art. If you separate the two early on in your mind, you'll save some frustration. I hope this helps.

Jan