PDA

View Full Version : Homemade ground for extra grit

creativevintage
12-15-2013, 09:40 AM
I love Uart's 320, but I'm not crazy about the color...can anyone recommend a recipe for a homemade ground that would have a similar grit? I've tried the Golden Fine pumice gel and the Acrylic ground for pastel, but they do not have the grit I am looking for. I am going to try the Golden coarse pastel ground next, but was hoping that someone would have some suggestions...

Thanks!

SSB
12-15-2013, 02:32 PM
what about the colorfix supertooth primer?

Studio-1-F
12-15-2013, 04:06 PM
You can buy 320 grade grit and mix your own : http://www.tedpella.com/material_html/grind.htm

Jan

creativevintage
12-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Thank you!!! I am going to place an order today....

Dingo
12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm not familiar with Uart320, Personally I use marble dust (Calcite) with either gesso or acrylic as a ground. You can vary the proportions and it is available as a filler for acrylic paint from most reasonably stocked art supply stores. I have also tried pumice and aluminium and carborundum oxides, though return to the marble dust (Calcite)

mudfish
12-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I mixed some 4-0 pumice with gesso (about 2 Tbs to a pint, recipes everywhere) and painted 2 coats on mat board. It was wonderfully coarse, but it ate sticks like you wouldn't believe. It will sure cure you from painting tight! Have you tried just toning the Uart you like?

creativevintage
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I have ordered some of the 320 grit carbonide, but it is backordered, so I will wait. I did tone some of the uart, but my favorite way to paint in on a watercolor on white so the color really comes through. I do not get that effect with the off white uart, so I thought I would try to mix up some of the grit with some clear gesso or matte medium and put it on watercolor paper or maybe multimedia paper...

Studio-1-F
12-17-2013, 12:28 PM
I have ordered some of the 320 grit carbonide, but it is backordered, so I will wait. I did tone some of the uart, but my favorite way to paint in on a watercolor on white so the color really comes through. I do not get that effect with the off white uart, so I thought I would try to mix up some of the grit with some clear gesso or matte medium and put it on watercolor paper or maybe multimedia paper...
Keep in mind that silicon carbide powder is a very dark charcoal color. If you need a bright white surface, you'll need to mix it (or cover it with) with appropriately pigmented binders. Do a Google image search for 'silicone carbide powder' to see what it looks like.

The white marble dust powder might be better, color-wise.

Jan

creativevintage
12-18-2013, 01:06 PM
After I ordered, I realized it would be dark. I also ordered some 320 grit aluminum oxide... Since would be using white gesso to mix it with, I was thinking that a bit of white acrylic paint might brighten it up a bit.