PDA

View Full Version : wde 12 9 13 Try, try again..........

kordelia
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
yes, I HAVE heard the bit about: if you keep doing what you're doing, you're going to keep getting what you're getting (or some paraphrase).... but I still keep doing the flowers that strike me, and I keep not being happy with them... this is a full 8x10 on black cardstock, Kohinoor Woodless (waxy) pencils & black pen.... maybe 3 hrs total.... I keep thinking there's one more step.... it needs.... but I don't know what it IS.............. so, "in the spirit of....." ... thanx for looking.... if you know what the next step IS, please let me know :confused:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2013/22002-wde_12_8_13_helen044_640x495.jpg

DWhite
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Beautiful :)

Looks finished to me

Paulafv
12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
It's beautiful reminiscent of an old tapestry. Maybe you were expecting more zip in your colors, as you get from pastels? You can always try a bit here and there, but I love it just as is.

Helen
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks finished to me too. Maybe the next step is to put it away for a week or two, then get it out and look. It will look a lot different then.

ArtsyPatrice
12-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree with Helen - Looks super to me as is ... :)

Scotkatidid
12-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Kor, certainly looks finished to me and I must add that by using the black bg has certainly added to the petals not only because it makes them stand out, but in some instances it gives this flowers petals "fragility" (black coming through the yellow makes them look almost transparent) -well done!

crispur2005
12-10-2013, 03:26 AM
I love the dark ground setting off the beautiful showy flowers you have done a great job.
I know what you mean tho when things dont quite match what you envisioned. I sometimes find that doing it again but in a different medium helps. Soft pastels or watercolour pencils or a combination might work.
I also get the reference and my painting side by side on the screen and it is amazing how things start to jump out at you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2013/92305-998-sunflowers_small_286x400.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2013/92305-22002-wde_12_8_13_helen044_640x495_309x400.jpg

oty
12-10-2013, 05:56 AM
this is beautiful! I like the petals texture and colors!

kordelia
12-10-2013, 03:48 PM
thanks, guys, for your support.... let me remind YOU of something I forgot: pale yellow on black = green. I know that... but I forgot.. I think the greeny cast thru-out is what threw-it=out for me....
Christine HOW do you put them on the same screen??? it's true, side-by-each makes things stand out, but I don't know how to do that.... (plz???)
The Woodless are VERY waxy, so I don't really have the option of black pen... but gotta try SOMETHING! what have I got to lose???
thanx for looking AND commenting....

Valri Ary
12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Dramatic and lovely....just like the artist!!

connievanwinssen
12-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Beautiful!:)

Deano
12-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks good, Kor! The only thing you may be feeling you're missing would be a few punched up highlights. But I don't know what medium could be used over "waxy".

jlloren
12-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Hey, what's not to like? It's GORGEOUS!

skappy
12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Great job on all those petals Kor!
Robert

rozzi
12-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Looks good to me too. I like it.

dragonlady
12-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Really lovely drawing, I too think some highlights/increased contrast would bring it alive but not sure if that's possible with the medium you're using.

guilliame
12-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Hey Nonny:wave: lots to love and like in this one:clap: my thoughts would be for some punchy highlights here and there.

flug
12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I think the colors are incredible! Very beautiful :clap:

Charlie's Mum
12-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I think it's lovely and lively and it's just the black coming through that makes you a bit dissatisfied!
Not sure how with pencils - in acrylics I'd make sure the petals were white first, then lay the colour on ...... perhaps another time, try white first?
But honestly, I love this!

Two side by side - c'mon Non - just upload both images and make sure the code for the second follows straight on from the first - no new line for the second:D

code would look :
all the code second code - voila -two pics :D

kordelia
12-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Mum, I know by the "cmon, Non", you mean to give it the old school try and all that................. you haven't read my FB post today, dripping with frustration of the conspiracy between this laptop and my printer.... saving & finding and then printing, pfosh! nuthin to it...... once upon a time.... nowadays, a total frustration trying to find and bring something up.... if you've wondered why I've never hosted?? well, now you know: I'm not all that savvy............. I saved 2 pix from this new wde; cropped to 5x7 to get the two on one sheet..... too much to ask??? yes, obviously: I got a 17page printout of the entire post WITH replies PLUS an extra picture just for sass, AND a popup that suggested I'm running low on ink.............INDEED! .....I understand the posting as you showed it... thanx.... getting one from MY pix? not so sure..............we'll see how it goes if I get 1 or 2 or 15 (!!!) of these done, since they've all printed out! ................................... arghhhh

crispur2005
12-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I got so sick of paying through the nose for printer ink (it costs more than the actual printer over here) I now work directly off my laptop or tablet. I can adjust the ref to lighten or crop or have more than one image showing on screen and I have saved a fortune.
Give it a try, the only drawback for me is getting paint over everything but it just wipes off.

Charlie's Mum
12-14-2013, 08:35 AM
I agree Christine - I often do that too and print only when necessary ......... but Non - I do download the images to my computer so they're easy to find and don't have all the post and other images attached!
Don't you do that?
I wouldn't trust the 'Print' option from the right-click options over the image!!!!:eek:

crispur2005
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes definitely download the pictures, I save them all to my art files divided into months and I photograph and upload everything I paint to the same file so I have a permanent digital record of everything. I paint off my saved images not directly from WDE.

kordelia
12-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Christine & MUm, you are totalllly missing my point here.... I can download.... if I'm quick, I can actually crop.... I just may never see it again EVER!! when I'm trying to save, a box might come up that has: save to: xps documents.... and it wont let me change that... or they're GIFs and not jpegs and it wont let me IN to change........... I ALWAYS had: Year, MONTH divided into Art and Family.... for YEARS... maybe last 2 years since this laptop, nope, no continuity, cant find diddle ... even the scanner wont always give me the right Save to..... that's another reason I haven't participated.... I was just feeling like it was 'working', getting me in & out, and now it's being stupid again............. just get so frustrated.... so if I'm HERE (with a pic) it's because all systems were GO for once.....:wave:

crispur2005
12-14-2013, 09:15 PM
It sounds like a job for one of your grandkids. They seem to be able to work these thing out quickly and easily.:D I hope you can get it figured out.

mbeckett
12-14-2013, 09:30 PM
i think this is an awesome painting of those sunflowers Kor! maybe you would be satisfied with a few more high lights... just a thought... would oil pastel 'stick' over top of the colored pencil? might be worth an experiment to see :)

sorry about your computer troubles. it sounds like a system set up problem to me. maybe the grandkids can help or back to the store where you got it for some advice?

kordelia
12-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Christine..... hahahahaha... YES, the grankids!!
Hey Mikey.... long time.... no 'store'.... SIL is my 'go to' guy... travels too much tho... I may have to hit the grans.... especially since I'll have 2 for this week's wde (pictures, not grans.....) ... IF I can scan/save/FIND....... I'm thinking of scraping some, seeing if I can get anything to stick... oil pastels is a good idea, thanx..
thanx, guys, appreciate your input....

eyepaint
12-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Gorgeous!

artastic
12-16-2013, 08:51 AM
oooh fantastic
wonderful work on the black BG

Scattykat
12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
well done, yellow flowers are always a challenge...

Greenbrier33
12-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Kor,

Green or yellow, no matter. What is precious is how these sunflowers flatter.
Dancing nice, twice, thrice...petals all there. The only thing needed is a step to my house, somewhere.

Dave