PDA

View Full Version : another pastel

artinoils
09-20-2003, 08:59 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-20-2003/7970_pastelstilllife.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: another pastel
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8x11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Had no electricity for 24 hrs so started this by candlelight. Done from life.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything?

Wayne Gaudon
09-20-2003, 09:04 AM
like the colors .. I think one flower should get a little more defination and power.

pero lane
09-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Lovely and very well done! I'll have to agree with Wayne on one something being the focus to really make it "pop"!:)

Bobbo
09-20-2003, 10:28 AM
I like this,the colors in the shadows are very well done
Wayne is right you know!maybe you didn't get the highlight because of the candle light?

roberj
09-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Hard to argue with Wayne. As it is the flowers farthest to the right seem a little more realized, a little more definition to the yellow flowers at left center I think would do it. Would not want to lose the wonderful candle light effect though. It's pretty wonderful already.

Bob

Wes Hyde
09-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Susan, they are just lovely, and I wouldn't change a thing. For me they are all focal, and in a small, soft piece like this, I find that to be a good thing.

Wes

Paintonbrush
09-20-2003, 12:56 PM
I agree-perfect as is....you like pastel better than oil? Your style breaks through in both.

pampe
09-20-2003, 01:07 PM
boy, no kidding, Susan
I agree with Diane....your style is superb in both

This has and old world-candlelit feel and I think that works as is

Pam

artinoils
09-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Wayne, well...definition was in the light, imo, rather than detail and the light was very subdued.

pero, thank you.

bobbo, thanks for noticing the shadows and glad you appreciated them.

roberj, comments appreciated.

Wes, agree they are...the light effect was what I was after.:)

Dianne, always loved pastel...did many before oil. Harder to frame and store...the dust gets to you after a while and gets everywhere. The effect you get is so enchanting and unlike no other medium. So for a change I drag out pastels once in a while.

Pam, glad you like it and the old world comes from the lighting, imo.:D

giniaad
09-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I agree...this stands well as is...
the candle light is great...

also, chalk pastels
along with oils
two great mediums for you!

and now...I have to go...:crying: :)

Rieko
09-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Its softness and warmth are all over; I agree with the others that candle light worked magically.

I really like the blue you used here and there. It enhances the flowers' rich colors even more.

artinoils
09-22-2003, 06:15 AM
giniaad, :) thanks for the vote of confidence. I took it to a works on paper juried show...we'll see.
Reiko, happy you enjoyed the blue...me too.

dornberg
09-24-2003, 08:41 PM
coordinated atmosphere