PDA

View Full Version : Comfort

mjkohler
09-20-2003, 05:38 AM
:) Hi again, I dont think that i have posted this before. I have put the finishing touches on it just recently. mjk:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/5774-wc2.jpg

Tamana
09-20-2003, 10:43 AM
You really do well with difficult colors, i.e. - red ,green.... This is comforting, but haunting as well, almost like there's a ghost present. The green adds a nocturnal mood to it in addition to a touch of emotional envy.

mjkohler
09-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Tamana, your reply rocked me a little.

I know that it wasn't meant to. :) A little lack of confidence on my part as to my input as an artist.

I had a think about my reaction and decided that their is room for all sorts of art. It is important to me that my art touches the soul, and I think for a good part it does.

The reason that I felt a little rocked was, I dont like to be too clicheed or trite in my portrayals and your words read very close to home for me, and made me wonder if this picture had some of those qualities that I dont want. However even if it did there is probably enough of the other to over ride.

At times when I think like this about my artwork, I think of Elton John the singer. His work is powerful and beautiful and he will be remembered for it. I dont know that I would call his work trend setting though.:)

I am learning to accept who I am as an artist and accept that I am not be a trend setter and learn to focus on what I can do. (As long as it is not trite or cliched:D )

mjk

Tamana
09-20-2003, 08:43 PM
this rendition is ANYTHING but cliche'd or trite in its presentation. And though you say you lack confidence regarding your art (and who would know better than you?), I can't for the life of me see why. Which, in no means makes your statement an untruth, but rather an unexpected revelation. And, for what it's worth (to me, anyway), in this forum, you ARE a trend setter.

Perhaps some comments emanate not from color or design. Application or balance. But something beyond the act of making art to the act of insemination: the conceptual idea. Perhaps sometimes (if not all), we see something of ourselves translated into sight, except on a somewhat deeper level of emotional recognition seldom seen.

Perhaps in that rare moment of recognition, we briefly smile and realize that maybe we aren't so alone after all. And the world really isn't such a big place.

Dahzl
09-21-2003, 01:25 AM
I viewed this one very briefly last night mjk and intended to come back today to comment :D

It looks vaguely familiar to me - can't put my finger on it yet! Perhaps you have shown it before in its earlier stages- but it's lovely and very haunting as Tam has already noted.

I see nothing trite or cliched about this piece of yours it speaks of comfort and protection with an essence of sadness emanating from it to me. Beautiful and touching and troubled.

Cheers Dahzl :)

mjkohler
09-21-2003, 01:53 AM
Perhaps some comments emanate not from color or design. Application or balance. But something beyond the act of making art to the act of insemination: the conceptual idea. Perhaps sometimes (if not all), we see something of ourselves translated into sight, except on a somewhat deeper level of emotional recognition seldom seen.

Wow - Tamana you have a way with words. You are able to reach to the essence and communicate it with words - a gift :clap: I think that if I ever need something written about my work that is stimulating and reaches into a person I should come looking for you.!!! :)

Dahzl, I may have posted this at an earlier stage. I did a check of my old works prior posting last night. Unfortunately I change the names of my pieces quite often and may not have recognized it.

mjk:)

Tamana
09-21-2003, 09:42 AM
I not a good 'spellar'. ;)

Nisha
09-21-2003, 10:59 PM
hmmmm... caring, loving hands.

The hands of a healer...

Nisha :)