PDA

View Full Version : unbelieveable Mount Vision pastels

SSB
12-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Hello everyone, I bought a "sky set" of Mt Visions. They are super, and I thought I would say so. On their site you can buy in increments of 15, 20, 50- something like that. What I like is that you can choose your own assortment. I picked nothing but purples, blues, whites and greys. The owner is really cool, picks up the phone...

They are at least TWICE the size of other sticks. HALF the price. the owner did a 72 color chart at my request because he wasn't busy at the moment. Who else does that?

I like several brands, and my wife, with her special touch, is more suited to Girault, Roche, Schminke, Sennelier in that order, but for me I don't see ever buying another brand. I like the colors, they're smart. Mount Vision is like the Blue Ridge paint of pastels, and that is good.

PS: I just got a super deal on Unisons, happy, overall a cool temp set IMO (the landscape 36 pc). Could be warmer, but nice either way. Each stick is a third of the size of each Vision, though... no exaggeration

abstract23
12-04-2013, 07:47 AM
On their site you can buy in increments of 15, 20, 50- something like that.

Great that you got a great deal. Its always good to get money's worth.
You didn't mention the name of the site though. I have heard a lot about Mt.Vision pastels but here in Europe I haven't found a retailer who sells them.
Since you mention Mt.Visions are so much bigger than the Unisons, then you must have purchased the Unison half-sticks, otherwise the full-stick Unisons are pretty big too.

allydoodle
12-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Mount Visions are really great. I break them into thirds, one piece for my plein air box, another for my studio box, and the last piece stays in its box in storage. When I need to use the last stick I can order a replacement because I keep the original paper wrapping on each 1/3 piece left in the storage box. Great stuff... The colors are wonderful, the texture is excellent, and the price, well..... you can't beat it! Superb quality pastel. I have over 100 of them, and I find I can't live without them.

I love Unisons also, and they are pretty large. But, not as big as a Mount Vision, and they are very pricey. Unisons are not a bargain, that's for sure, but they are a really nice pastel (I have lots of them also).

allydoodle
12-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Great that you got a great deal. Its always good to get money's worth.
You didn't mention the name of the site though. I have heard a lot about Mt.Vision pastels but here in Europe I haven't found a retailer who sells them.
Since you mention Mt.Visions are so much bigger than the Unisons, then you must have purchased the Unison half-sticks, otherwise the full-stick Unisons are pretty big too.

Mount Vision has it's own site, here is a link:

http://mountvisionpastels.com/

abstract23
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Mount Vision has it's own site, here is a link:

http://mountvisionpastels.com/

Thanks Allydoodle :)

Just went there and as of now I can only dream of having them due to the postage rates to worldwide. To get them at those prices as per my calculations, 1 MV stick would cost as much as 1 stick of Schmincke if a set of 50 MV's are purchased. Not too bad knowing MV's are more multipurpose than Schminckes.
How I wish there was a retailer in Europe.

*Deirdre*
12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm moving this to our talk section - as the Studio/Gallery only has pictures. But I will leave a redirect just in case.

It's wise to remember that Customs duty applies over a certain amount, so check that your order is under that if you need to avoid paying those charges! I'm not sure what it is at the moment but it will say on the Custom and Excise site.

Sarah Rose
12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
I have more MV's than anything else and love them. They are very consistent, I like that. I recently got a handmade color chart and it was a good investment, I am placing an order for more this afternoon based on the color charts. LOVE them!

doodler321
12-05-2013, 02:38 AM
I also am loving :heart: my new Mount Vision set that I recently purchased from Craigslist. The nice lady I bought them from told me that she bought them from the owner of Mt. Vision during a pastel convention in New Mexico. It is a set of 200 in a custom wood box. The box is huge, about 18" x 18" and weighs about 17 pounds. They are just the right consistency for me. They feel similar to the Unisons, just a little grittier, and much, much larger.

I am considering breaking them in half, like I did with my hard pastels, but I just can't seem to take the first step. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to break large pastels into 2 pieces?

I also just ordered some Unisons - special collection and darks - to add a little punch to my palette. I can't wait until they arrive!

abstract23
12-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Dierdre - "It's wise to remember that Customs duty applies over a certain amount, so check that your order is under that if you need to avoid paying those charges!"
Thanks Dierdre, I will keep customs in mind whenever I would order from outside the EU. For now I order all my pastels from UK where often deals on Rembrandts & Unisons are pretty good.

Doodler - Wow!! Look at those candies. Have to try MV's, perhaps time to visit the US and cram a suitcase of MV's on my way back :)
Even though I feel the happiest using Unisons as they are so versatile, I am really curious about MV's and am sure you must be over-the-top now that you have all those lovely colours plus Unisons joining the party.

Talley
12-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Doodler - wow what a lovely collection. I like MV as well and have found they break pretty cleanly and easily without crumbling.

Also for anyone looking at buying some MV, it's worth checking out the sets on Amazon. The prices change on Amazon but they often have good prices on various sets. Right now a lot of the 25 piece sets (not the popular Thunderstorm greys though) are about $56 - a little over $2 a stick!

bnoonan
12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I am considering breaking them in half, like I did with my hard pastels, but I just can't seem to take the first step. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to break large pastels into 2 pieces?

Break them with love and gusto and never look back… They are there to be used and enjoyed!!!!

kkelly
12-05-2013, 08:53 PM
doodler 321: Thanks for the picture. That is one of the boxes that my father made when I first started the company. I'm glad to see that it is getting good use.

allydoodle
12-05-2013, 10:24 PM
doodler 321: Thanks for the picture. That is one of the boxes that my father made when I first started the company. I'm glad to see that it is getting good use.

Thanks for stopping by Karl :wave: ! I love your pastels, they're great!

As for breaking them, I snap them into thirds. For me, that's the perfect size to paint with. They snap easily. First remove the paper wrapping. Then hold the stick firmly with both hands, placing your fingers in such a way that the stick breaks where you want it to. More to one side of you are breaking into thirds, more evenly if in the middle. Keep your fingers pretty close together on either side of the place you want to break and just snap. I occasionally get a bad break (operator error.... hesitation makes for a bad break), but the majority of the time they snap perfectly. I would definitely break them, when I did mine I found I used them even more, they are much easier to handle.

Here is a photo of my plein air box, which is mostly filled with Mount Visions and Unisons, with a smattering of Great Americans and Rembrandts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2013/93075-plein_air_pastel_palette.jpg

robertsloan2
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
I also am loving :heart: my new Mount Vision set that I recently purchased from Craigslist. The nice lady I bought them from told me that she bought them from the owner of Mt. Vision during a pastel convention in New Mexico. It is a set of 200 in a custom wood box. The box is huge, about 18" x 18" and weighs about 17 pounds. They are just the right consistency for me. They feel similar to the Unisons, just a little grittier, and much, much larger.

I also just ordered some Unisons - special collection and darks - to add a little punch to my palette. I can't wait until they arrive!

I think it was Colorix who explained once in a post a long time ago. I tried it and it worked beautiful. Groove it slighlty with your thumbnail around it at the length you want and then firmly snap off the piece. Mount Visions are so big they're better to break into 3 or 4 pieces, even halves are gigantic. You really lucked on that set! It's fantastic! Go you!

DBfarmgirl
12-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Nice set, great box!
I love the MV yellows and neutral/grey greens. I had been looking for a match for an old Grumbacher olive color and they have an almost exact match. The MV yellows are my most used of all brands, I think they are the most natural looking.

Yes I have a list of "colors to order".
Great prices, great colors and BIG. what more could you ask for?

chewie
12-08-2013, 01:47 AM
never thought to look at craigslist for art supplies.

you can also use a single edged razor blade to score, as i hate doing it with my nails, esp if you have many to break.

ArtistMelinda
12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
ARRGGH - I can't believe that I live a few miles from their studio/factory and haven't made it over there yet (that must really be frustrating for you who are trying to purchase them from far away). I think I hesitate for 2 reasons: 1. I will break the bank with desire. 2. I am not sure if they are appropriate for what I want to use them for.

Could anyone offer advice? I have 3 sticks of MV. I am concerned they are too large and soft for portraits. I need to be able to get detail. Most of portraits are 8x10 to 11x17 - not those big loose ones. These seem better suited for landscapes. I have an excellent portrait set from Rembrandt - do you think I would be duplicating in regard to relative hardness and function?

Thank you!

Equus Art
12-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I bought the full set and when they arrived I was pretty surprised at how large the sticks were. I also suffered from the fear of breaking up all that lovely eye candy. I finally snapped one in thirds in frustration because I just couldn't get it to act right while trying to get some fine detail. I have since also scored around that smaller piece and split it in half. I now have all kinds of edges to use for small lines and tiny areas. I have been trying to stay away from going to the pencils for those details and am happy I took the leap and broke them.

The Mt. Visions are much softer than the Rembrandts and now that I have figured out a working relationship with them, I'm very happy.

Close your eyes and start snapping!

Cat

Jason1616
12-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I love Mount Visions! Of all the pastel brands they are the most consistent with texture…no hard or scratchy dark colors. Not as soft as Schmincke or Sennies, but softer than Rembrandts. LOVE EM! :clap:

allydoodle
12-10-2013, 03:57 PM
ARRGGH - I can't believe that I live a few miles from their studio/factory and haven't made it over there yet (that must really be frustrating for you who are trying to purchase them from far away). I think I hesitate for 2 reasons: 1. I will break the bank with desire. 2. I am not sure if they are appropriate for what I want to use them for.

Could anyone offer advice? I have 3 sticks of MV. I am concerned they are too large and soft for portraits. I need to be able to get detail. Most of portraits are 8x10 to 11x17 - not those big loose ones. These seem better suited for landscapes. I have an excellent portrait set from Rembrandt - do you think I would be duplicating in regard to relative hardness and function?

Thank you!

I absolutely love Mount Vision Pastels, I find I use them for everything but portraits, except for the clothing and background..... I like Giraults for portraits, for me nothing else compares. Their texture and consistency is perfect, and the size is exactly right for painting portraits. I agree that Mount Visions seem a bit large for portraits, though I think if you break them and use those edges it would probably work. If you are buying them strictly for portraits, take a look at Giraults, you might like them. Also, Giraults work very well with Rembrandts, they are a bit softer and are a nice compliment.

woodenpalette
01-13-2014, 03:07 PM

good heavens - and that on Craigslist!! Did you get a good deal on them?

doodler321
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
woodenpalette, I think I got a good deal, but not a jaw-dropping bargain. I was able to test them before I decided to buy them too. I bought these in November in the wood box and paid approx $400. Which I thought was pretty good considering no shipping costs. All but a couple were unused. Plus I have the wood box for storage (I did end-up breaking off 1/3 pieces for my studio tray)

SAS Designs
02-09-2014, 03:58 PM
chris, who makes the plein air wooden box you have you use for your pastels? It doesn't look like a Heilman, that's the only one I've seen. Also, how much does your box weigh? thanks.

allydoodle
02-09-2014, 05:09 PM
chris, who makes the plein air wooden box you have you use for your pastels? It doesn't look like a Heilman, that's the only one I've seen. Also, how much does your box weigh? thanks.

That's a Dakota Deluxe Traveler Small box that I purchased it at Dakota Art Pastels. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds full the way you see it in the photo. The site says it weighs 3 lbs., 12 oz. empty.
You can take a look at their website here for prices.
(http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/boxes-dakota.aspx)

robertsloan2
02-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Same as my small Dakota Traveller and it's just right. I love it. I might get a Heilman someday if I get prosperous enough but for now my full small Traveller - much more of a brands mix - is just right.

Mount Visions and Unisons and most hand rolleds are in a category for me, but I think MV gives the best bang for the buck given the size. I don't have enough of them to do a full painting just with them, would need to throw in the Unisons and Gallery ones with them. Richeson has hand rolled with a somewhat similar (but not as nice as MV personal opinion) texture.

MV will handle small details. That is the other trick about breaking sticks. The broken edge will handle small details better than the big rounded formed end of a hand rolled stick. It can also wear down chisel-edge from filling in larger areas or doing broader strokes. So a freshly broken piece is good for that.

Also technique comes into it. Even on portraits a painterly look can prevail, it's not so much how much detail you do as having the right details and much can be done with looser strokes. Realism takes a little bit of work. However with all pastels, you can also use a pastel shaper. It's this cone of screening into a jar and you wear down a piece into a chosen shape rubbing it on the screen, saving the rubbed off powder in the jar. This can be re-moistened and re-formed.

For portraits work with a completely different look and feel, or in combination using the MV's but doing details separately - Girault has an interesting texture in many ways like a hard pastel, but softer. They also have ginormous numbers of subtle skin tones in their range. So if I was doing a middling small portrait and wanted say lots of eye and mouth detail, I might go using Giraults on the eyes and then use the MV's on areas near and around the eyes like eyelid strokes, sort of blend the two brands with MV as the outer layers as a bridge, then do things like the facial highlights and modeling and the hair areas with the MVs and a more painterly look away from the eyes.

I'm planning a portrait now and this could be a good combination on my project even though it's rather a large portrait and my Giraults are a landscape set because I never expected to do portraits again. But I really like my young black man in Norway in white coat so I'm going to do him justice and get this right. I've got 72 Unisons to work with to do the broad areas and can use the Giraults around the eyes for the fine details.

sansea
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
I recently bought the 25 Blue and 25 Green set of Mt. Visions and I love them . I decided to get them after trying a Mystery box set last year and boy did I get some great colors ! I tried them and loved them . Mt. Vision if you are reading ,that mystery box was the reason I purchased more pastels .Wonder if they will do that again , with that set I could paint a whole painting ..

ArtistMelinda
02-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Lucky me I live a few miles from Tampa so I trotted over there and got some MV's! Actually I went over there 3 times. Several times I ended up with duplicates, or shades so close they were like duplicates. He readily swapped them out for others - no problems. Then in the car I dropped the bag and smashed one and he gave me a new stick. Wow that is nice.

They are huge and soft. They have a slight baking soda texture. Not as creamy as some. But readily applies smoothly.

I took these pics tonight to show you the colors I got and size of the pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/978220-pastels_001.JPG

This is a group of MV, then Schmincke (close to same size as Rembrandt), then Daler Rowney, then Sennellier half stick. The blue power is from the MV rolling around. Put in my average sized hand for comparison

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/978220-pastels_002.JPG

Hope this helps!