PDA

View Full Version : Floating island again

painter2012
11-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Recently my brother and wife moved to a small island off the coast of Vancouver Island. It's called Gabriola, but for some reason he cannot remember that! Going to give him this if ever get it finished. Have tried this picture repeatedly and cannot make the island stop floating. Now am making mud. Any more suggestions
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2013/1148289-001.JPG

FLNH
11-30-2013, 11:49 AM
A few suggestions. Straighten the horizon. This is not directly related to the island but the appearance of the island at the top of the curved horizon doesn't help. Make the island reflection a bit more distinct...the yellowish island color in the water to the left of the island doesn't read quite right...begin the island shadows vertically just at the edge of the island. Darken the entire island shadow. Perhaps make the distinction between the interface of the island and reflection more clear...perhaps a dark line or a lighter beach. Perhaps a little more discontinuity in the reflection to indicate a little rougher water.

The painting is very clever...I am sure others will also help in your minor problem.

This is really trivial but at first glance the confluence of your brother's shoe and ? A clump of grass looks a bit like a "high heel" shoe...your brother might not like that. It is altogether possible, however, that no one would see it that way but me:) :)

painter2012
11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
ok will try that, the shoe thing I see now..he probably wouldn't notice but I will attempt to repair. Painted this when having vision problems and had nose almost on paper-better now so will "try" to fix. Thanks for your insight:wave:

FLNH
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
I am glad that your health is improving...art does seem to make everything more manageable.

painter2012
11-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Yes, things do seem a little better. One day at a time. Getting back to painting is very theraputic..having a ball. Not back where I was but still here!

painter2012
11-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Well, now don't know if better or worse. Floating island seems to have become a UFO!. Best I can do for today. Could not get that yellow out..oh well, you live and learn. :lol: Hope this isn't too big, can't seem to get it sized today:envy: Did correct horizon but still seems low on left.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2013/1148289-003.JPG

Antiqueteacher
11-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Elizabeth, I combined your two threads together. I think your improvements are fine. Your brother will love this painting!!

Katherine

painter2012
12-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks Katherine, probably just work on left side of island a little. Quite dark there for no reason. But he has already seen an e-mail of this and is saying "gimme gimme - please." So hopefully I won't wreck it before I pass it off to him.