PDA

View Full Version : Waterlilies pond

murrena
11-30-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm new to watercolor, so I bought a new set of paint, some paper and started to experiment:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2013/1494489-DSC_0364.jpg
The paints set I reviewed here:
murrena.blogspot.com (http://murrena.blogspot.com)

Any advises what I did wrong?

maryinasia
11-30-2013, 03:39 AM
beautiful so far

Yorky
11-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Good start.

Glad you made it, welcome to the forum.

Doug

pjartwc
11-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. You have a great start to watercolor! Keep up the way you're doing and you will be fine. The petals on the waterlilies are excellent, especially the top one and you've shown shadow by darkening at the base. Don't forget to leave some of the white paper as the white makes the painting sparkle.

painterbear
11-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum.

You are off to a great start with your new paints.

I like the blossoms in spots in the background and on the leaves.

Decide where the light is coming into the picture so you can have some of the flower petals that are lighter where the light hits them and darker where they are in shadow opposite them.

Ditto to what Jan said about leaving some whites.

You can glaze over your paint that is already dry with another layer of color if you wish to darken any areas.

Looking forward to seeing your next stages of the painting.

Sylvia

murrena
11-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the warm comments ^____^ I'll try to follow your suggestions about white and light direction and hope to finish it this weekend and show the result of course.
To tell the truth, it was not the first sheet of paper, that I've spoiled. And I really did spoil it because the flowers are too big and too close to the edges. But I'll leave it in the pad as a reminder of what not to do next time. Plus, practice makes pefect.

painterbear
11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Murrena,
I don't think your flowers are too large. :D Some watercolor instruction books will tell you to have your image go off the page on two or three sides to make the composition more interesting. Check out some of the floral paintings in The Gallery and see if some of their images are cut off at the edges in parts. ;)

Sylvia

Cyntada
11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
The best part of your painting is that you have let the paint run free. It's lovely and dreamy because you have used plenty of water, and not fussed with the washes. Keep that up! I think your flowers are just the right size too.

You are not the only artist here with the White Knights set paint set. Can't wait to see more!

murrena
12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
well... here's some more progress:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2013/1494489-DSC_0370-1.jpg
Thanks for your response, I really need to hear some critics because I usually look at my paintings, but cannot see anything.
Ordered a set of sennelier french artists watercolor set, I use pans, cannot wait to get and try them ^_^ and share with you of course ^_^

painterbear
12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
CK,
I like the way you are progressing, and I know you aren't finished yet. But you need to add a bit more variety to your values. The lights will stand out better against darks. Now the painting is mostly middle values.

If you look at it in grayscale, you can see what I mean easier:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2013/9833-BnW.jpg

Notice how brilliant the unpainted areas look. You can achieve a similar difference in the painted areas. The petals that are underneath others will be deeper in tone than the ones on top because they are sheltered from the light. You might think about adding some deeper color to some of those.

I like how you've changed the color of the water and deepened the lily pads too. :D

You'll have fun playing with your new Sennelier paints when they arrive. Don't forget to get some good quality paper too.

Sylvia

murrena
12-02-2013, 04:04 AM
Wow,
thanks for the advise, Sylvia,
I've never thought to look at the painting in b&w...
About paper. This is Daler Rowney Aquafine NOT 300gsm and I can't say I'm very happy with it, but I have a full block of it and can't afford myself to throw it away, so I'll practice on it mostly.
I've read all the threads about paints and paper here, I know how important paper is, but since I'm not a pro, I simply cannot afford to order that expensive types of paper plus shipping to Ukraine...

DaveCrow
12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Great start. Push some of the darks even darker and the blossoms will pop.

I know that finding a paper you like can be a difficult process. If you can try to find a sample pack of several varieties of paper at once. But keep on using the paper you have. I painted for quite a while with student grade paints and paper and was pleased by the difference when I found good paper and paints, but we have to use what we can afford.

I like what I see so far, please keep showing us your progress.

murrena
12-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Here it is. Next step - add some more shadows as suggested... or leave it and try something else. I'm afraid to make worse 0_0
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2013/1494489-DSC_0373.jpg

painterbear
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Murrena, It is lovely as it is. If you are happy with it, put it away and start on your next painting. :D

Sylvia

murrena
12-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Sylvia.
I'm not happy with it, but I'll start something else as I need more practice ^_^