PDA

View Full Version : Nude Ink Sketches...

alangraham
11-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey all!!!
Been wanting to 'improve' my overall drawing ability, so figured it was time for a good ol fashioned speed painting exercise.

Most took between 5 and 10 minutes. I did a quick pencil sketch and then brushed over with ink. I'd like to only do ink, but my skill is not quite there yet, as I still need some guidance.

I feel some are rather well done, while others are so-so. And as you can see, I did 4 sketches of faces!!! OMG, I never do this, but thought why not? I hate each one, and am going back to leaving all my character's faces blank. Ugh.

Anyhow, it was a fun exercise.

alangraham
11-27-2013, 05:39 PM
more...

alangraham
11-27-2013, 05:40 PM
more still...

alangraham
11-27-2013, 05:40 PM
last one!!!

Katie Black
11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Nice!...I particularly like the way you sketch the ladies, they really do work well, is that a self portrait the last one then?:)

Artyczar
11-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I love these! May I compare these to Matisse? Because it was the first thing that crossed my mind! :)

Eraethil
11-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Capturing a figure simply is difficult. Well done!

alangraham
11-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks all :). It was fun, and sketching so large was a nice break. Each one here is 18 x24.

Katie-- yes, the last one is a self :)
Arty-- Picasso and Matisse are two of my favorites, so I can totally see that.
Rick-- thanks.

DMSS
11-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Well done, including the faces. What are you trying to achieve with the faces that you feel you are not attaining? I really like the simplicity of line in all of these.

alangraham
11-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Well done, including the faces. What are you trying to achieve with the faces that you feel you are not attaining? I really like the simplicity of line in all of these.

Thanks for the comment. I just get irratated as the sketches do not resemble or truly capture the beauty of each model.

birdhs
11-28-2013, 11:28 AM
As an artist who struggles with figures and faces, I admire the bold simplicity of these studies. They seem so assured and complete just as they are.

the term "so simple a child could have done these"...comes to mind.

a child born of artists, a prodigy, perhaps, not a mere mortal. and as an artist with many credit hours under my belt I appreciate how hard it truly is to keep it simple.

tanx4sharinwid us

happity tanxgivering toooo

greggo

jimwhalen
11-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I too see Matisse in these, Cory. I also see Picasso in the first two. Like Greggo said it's hard to do simple and have it hold that something that makes them art, and you have done that with these.

alangraham
11-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks greggo and Jim, and I totally see what you guys are saying.

For me growing up, I always drew like this, but struggled with self confidence as others would draw such detailed sketches it would blow me away. For the life of me in have never been able to create like that no matter how I tried. Of course I realized to just go with what I have been given in regards to talent. I am sure others can relate.