PDA

View Full Version : Need advice to save portraits...

overtorqued
11-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi all - I found this site because I have a question about some pastel portraits that I have. How often should fixative be reapplied if at all to pastel paintings? I have several that were done by my grandparents when I was quite young and they are in storage right now. It's probably been some 20 odd years or more since they were done. Should I be worried about this? Any info would be great as I do not want to lose these beautiful paintings. Thanks so much. Hope everyone has a great holiday.:cat:

DAK723
11-27-2013, 09:35 AM
There are no rules regarding the application of fixative. Some artists use fixative at various stages of the painting - others never use it. For the most part, fixatives will darken or change the appearance of the pastels.

I have never heard of fixative being applied years after the painting is finished, so I wouldn't apply fixative after 20 years - or at any time in the future. If they aren't framed, they should be framed under glass. If they already are framed under glass, then they should be fine for many, many years.

Don

overtorqued
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Ok that it good to know - I won't worry then. Thanks so much.

JustinM
11-28-2013, 02:34 PM
I have never heard of fixative being applied years after the painting is finished, so I wouldn't apply fixative after 20 years - or at any time in the future. If they aren't framed, they should be framed under glass. If they already are framed under glass, then they should be fine for many, many years.

This. Once behind glass I wouldnt worry and I would think that opening up & spraying would be far riskier than any potential positive that could come from spraying.

I personally rarely spray the final painting. I will often use fixative on progressive layers but very seldom on the last few.

AnnaLisa
11-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Hello

I donīt use fixative eather.
If you have had the paintings in the same Place all those years it seems
that you have had them in a good Place. Otherwise the thing I am thinking
about is not to hang them in direct sunshine.

jackiesimmonds
11-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Some of the old master paintings, done with pastels, have outlasted those done with oils or watercolours. Watercolours fade, oils darken. Because pastel is almost pure pigment, their longevity is remarkable.

DO NOT SPRAY THEM YOURSELF, you will likely ruin them.

Put them behind glass asap. They will outlast you.

Dizzydogs
11-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I have looked long and hard at fixatives and tried them....however they do affect the picture quality....I would say leave, and get behind glass

Fixative will really dull down any bright colours.....the reason why pastels are so great is the pure colour...don't risk losing it

Xx