PDA

View Full Version : Alla prima copy of De Laszlo

Clutterbilly
11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Alla prima "copy" of a Philip De Laszlo portrait.

Didn't try to create an exact copy at all, no under drawing, just directly with the brush from reference image displayed on a tablet.

Oil on arches paper. About 6 hours of painting.

C&C's are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2013/1111552-kopie_de_laszlo_1.jpg

AllisonR
11-27-2013, 04:46 AM
I think you have done quite well. You have captured the likeness. Yours is much cooler than the original, though that's fine. You have taken the extra blue in her collar and reflected it off her face, which works well. The only nitpick is that I find your background distracting. Your background is messy in a chaotic sort of way, where the original is messy in a quiet, subdued sort of way.

Clutterbilly
12-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your nice comment and thoughts Allison! Your absolutely right about the messy background..I'm always so keen on doing the portrait that I often have to rush to do the background..and that shows.

But I do think I failed the most in not having it painted transparant, as De Laszlo did, he was an absolute master at that and I failed within the first three brush strokes...welll, more luck next time I hope...