PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Dizzydogs
11-26-2013, 09:13 AM
After many years of avoiding pastels and working mainly with grafite and watercolour I have this morning done a pastel which I am pleased with

It is for a client who I know will also be pleased....BUT it has to be posted prior to her framing

I am concerned about loosing its luster......now all those years ago (about 30) when I did pastels if you fixed them it dulled everything and they lost so much vitality ...... Everything has moved on.

This is on sennelier paper plus thier pastels......does it have to be fixed? And can someone recommend with what?

(Saw a post about not using anything wet/damp)

Thanks xhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2013/1476758-image.jpg [/QUOTE]

allydoodle
11-26-2013, 09:37 AM
You don't need to use any fixative of any kind on this, just put a mat on it and frame it behind glass. Nothing will happen to it, the glass will protect it. I have a painting on Sennelier LaCarte which is 13 years old and framed under glass. I never us a fixative. It's the same as it was when I originally painted it.

You are correct in your concern about fixative darkening the painting. Most fixatives will do that, the painting looses its sparkle. Pastels aren't as delicate as one might think, they're actually very resilient, and archival. I am thinking you've used Sennelier LaCarte paper here, which definitely cannot take moisture. It is an excellent paper, just not good with moisture. You've used excellent paper and pastels, which is the most important thing in ensuring its longevity. Frame it under glass and you are finished!

Beautiful work, I am sure your client will be thrilled.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Welcome to the Pastel Forum! :clap:

Dizzydogs
11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Thankyou very much....I used to use pastels a lot...A1 size life drawing around 30 years ago...I used to love them...but life and space got in the way and other mediums can be easier and less messy....

It's wonderful to get back to them.....but as I said my confidence ins not great....so looking forward to getting more done xx

DAK723
11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
If you need to mail this prior to framing, you can create a "foam board sandwich" - placing the painting between two pieces of foam board or something similar. You can place a piece of glassine or tracing paper over the pianting to help protect it. Then tape the foam boards together.

And, yes, welcome to the forum!

Don

pastel65
11-26-2013, 02:49 PM
I agree with not using fixative. Yrs ago I was told to spray the back of the pastel if on paper like canson and that worked but I sprayed very lightly. Last time I tried it on the front of a painting I was left with thousands of "spots" on the painting and I had to touch up the entire painting. It was a good quality fixative - at least I thought it was:lol: Lots of people commented on my posting in this section asking if anyone used credit cards to fix a pastel like I saw on a YouTube video. There were some great suggestions you may want to look at. Pam

Colorix
11-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Lovely dog, welcome! On that paper, you definitely don't need any fixative, it holds pigment very well.

Good for you to rediscover the joys of pastel painting!