PDA

View Full Version : "Splendor"

Jann
06-26-2001, 03:02 PM
Hi Friends...Hope this isn't posted twice??? I tried it once, and it wasn't there...so here I go again. LOL Anyway, this is my second ever in my life painting. I have Mom's (oleCC) teaching to thank for anything that's even half-way decent. I really enjoyed doing this one, though. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks bunches :)
Jann

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2001/jannsrose.jpg

sun_merman
06-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Wow! Wish I could have done that well with my second painting.

You have a nice awareness of the direction of light.

I think it is a great start...keep painting!

billyg
06-26-2001, 05:53 PM
Hey Jann,
A few of Hughs darks within the flower head would give it some body and dimension. Good painting though and something to be proud of.Even Mum should be happy.
Billyg :D:D:D:D

Jann
06-26-2001, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Sun and Billy...I do appreciate the comments, and I think you're right...more dark in the body would give it more contrast and "Life.."..I'll keep that in mind.
Jann :)

taghera
06-26-2001, 07:43 PM
Lovely painting Jann, Billy's right about "my" darks though. :D :D Carol is teaching you well. :)

jenrou
06-26-2001, 11:09 PM
Well, that's it, Jann. Tell Carol that Jean is giving up. Having a sale on art supplies. Very good!;)

Jann
06-27-2001, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Hugh and Jean...and Jean...don't even think about it!! LOL I stayed up all nite one nite practicing dew drops. This painting thing isn't coming easy for me, but I'm loving it! I'm just glad Mom has the patience of a saint. :p
Jann

Kandiman
06-27-2001, 07:51 PM
This is beautiful, Jann! :clap:
Do you have any progress images?
How did you get the background such a rich dark colour and the flowers so bright?
Fabulous! :D

Jann
06-28-2001, 02:18 PM
Hi Kandiman...
Thanks so much. No progress pics, but the background was done with 2 layers of thick coats of Payne's Gray and Thalo Green, using very little water. The roses were done with a progression of values using Cad Red Medium and Mauve (all DaVinci watercolour). The shadows in the roses were a blend of the rose colors plus a touch of Thalo Blue. :p
Jann

Mary Smith
06-28-2001, 11:50 PM
Jann, this is wonderful! One of these days I will be able to paint
a flower... Keep up the good work!
Mary

Jann
06-29-2001, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Mary :) I'm really enjoying learning to paint. Maybe years down the road I'll have acquired some of the awesome talent our friends here at WC have. :p
Jann