PDA

View Full Version : No Stops

artbymdp
11-22-2013, 04:01 PM
From my "Living In The Past" box of ideas, sketches and projects: An older colored pencil sketch (from the subways of Boston)

birdhs
11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
perfect as it is.

has MOMA called you on this one yet? I sent them a telegram.

trufflecat
11-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Terrific! Made me laugh. 'He will ride forever on the streets of Boston, he's the man who never returned.'

artbymdp
11-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Terrific! Made me laugh. 'He will ride forever on the streets of Boston, he's the man who never returned.'

Not sure how many people will get the reference but I am laughing...still laughing...just stopped laughing...wicked pissah

Katie Black
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Its a winner this one for sure...who knew you could do that with coloured pencils!

Eraethil
11-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Strong technique and intriguing image. I don't get the reference, but I don't watch news from the USA, so that might be why?
Cheers,

artbymdp
11-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Strong technique and intriguing image. I don't get the reference, but I don't watch news from the USA, so that might be why?
Cheers,

Thanks. The reference is an old 1960s taxation protest song about the Boston subway system. The song by the Kingston Trio is called "Charlie of the M.T.A." The song is about a man who got on the train but never got off and is still riding to this very day. The song is still popular in Boston. In fact, ironically and whimsically, the MTA now known as the MBTA or simply T, issues payment cards for the subway called, yes you guessed it, "Charlie Cards".

artbymdp
11-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks. The reference is an old 1960s taxation protest song about the Boston subway system. The song by the Kingston Trio is called "Charlie of the M.T.A." The song is about a man who got on the train but never got off and is still riding to this very day. The song is still popular in Boston. In fact, ironically and whimsically, the MTA now known as the MBTA or simply T, issues payment cards for the subway called, yes you guessed it, "Charlie Cards".

One correction, the song is from 1949 and became popular in the 1950s.

cmorford
11-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice! I especially like the way the train is rendered in proper perspective and the riders are so distorted.
Great fun!

Wilsonart
11-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Don't know which I'm enjoying more, the song memory
or the work. :lol:
A question, if you please,,,,any particular reason she is much larger
than he is? I'm reading lots into a story line that suits the title,
and like Rick said, it's very intriguing! :thumbsup:

abstractca
11-24-2013, 08:55 PM
very cool, a fun subject and the colors are w o n d e r f u l l !!

artbymdp
11-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Don't know which I'm enjoying more, the song memory
or the work. :lol:
A question, if you please,,,,any particular reason she is much larger
than he is? I'm reading lots into a story line that suits the title,
and like Rick said, it's very intriguing! :thumbsup:
This is based on an actual couple. The woman was much larger than her friend. I created a quick sketch on the subway while being eyed by the couple and completed the embellished version at my drawing board. (The drawing is technically poor but I thought it captured the expressions I was seeking).Thanks for asking.

davefriend
11-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I like the kind of distortion that seems deliberate. It brings to my mind how unnatural it seems to be in confined spaces with total strangers. Elevators, buses, subways, trains and airplanes where you are thrust into a situation with people you don't know in conveyances that are guided by another unknown and often unseen entity (usually human).

This has that attitude of 'What the heck are YOU looking at and if you don't stop I gonna...' :evil: I like it a lot. Good story too. Thanks Michael!!

artbymdp
11-25-2013, 02:57 PM
I modified the original image to correct some visual flaws. Since the drawing is colored pencil and cannot be changed, I drew in the revisions digitally. Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Ishka Baha
11-26-2013, 05:07 AM
What a great album cover. I think I preferred the original No Stops sign. Great piece.

artbymdp
11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
What a great album cover. I think I preferred the original No Stops sign. Great piece.

Hey Nikki, I gave the album cover concept a try. Since there needs to be an eye catching element to album art I expanded on the No Stops concept and formatted it to a CD size. Thanks for the idea.