PDA

View Full Version : still life, oil pastels

Diver
09-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi guys,

I do pastels for a couple of years. I work in soft pastels mostly, but I decided to show this oil pastel work first.
I have trouble with layering of oil pastels - it creates mud in my case. In this one I did not use turp or layers or rubbing.
Please criticize :)

CarlyHardy
09-19-2003, 02:37 PM
First, I would say, "squint" and tell me where your strongest contrast, lightest light/darkest dark, is located"....

If the apples are to be the center of attention (not saying they have to be) then would you want your greatest contrast at the side of your painting?

carly

Diver
09-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Yes, CHClements you are right - the area of contrast is to the right, where the paper, pen and diskette are drawn. Two questions - can I have a focal point on the edge of the bowl (between apples and paper) and what color should be used to draw paper without making it the lightest (most contrasted) area?

Dyin
09-19-2003, 07:45 PM
hi...use a parchment/yellow color for the paper....light would not hit the bowl where you are talking about having a focus...but it could hit an apple before it....
as to layering...the only brand I have luck with layering straight (no turps, rubbing etc) is Holbein...the others tend to mix rather than optically blend...hence the duller look...