PDA

View Full Version : Tiny fixative test, part 2

JaskaJokunen
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Again I tried my four fixatives and here are some results - unfortunately I blundered :( and forgot to tap the excess pastel off before I started smearing so no smearing results this time. Note to oneself: always tap the paper well before fixing - the difference is vast :lol:

I tried the pastels on two different surfaces - Sennelier La Carte and Mi Teintes backside.

Please take the results with grain of salt, as the pieces of pastel loosely on top of the paper may react differently to fixative than those that are tied to the tooth of the paper (or not, I know nothing of chemistry).

When it comes to the La Carte and it being allergic to water, using fixatives seems to be fine, however, one should avoid large fixative droplets from hitting the surface as they may leave a dark spot.

The legend for the images:
KO = control shot, no fixative
WI = Winsor & Newton Artists' Fixative (for Pastel, Charcoal & Pencil)
LA = Lascaux
SC = Schmincke 402
SP = SpectraFixAnyhow, here are the two test shots - I can see no significant differences, but my eye is untrained; the first is MI, the second La Carte:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2013/1396497-IMG_201311_05447.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2013/1396497-IMG_201311_05451.jpg

I did a quick smearing test on Ingres paper - I'm not posting the images as it is possible I didn't cover the small pieces of paper by equal amount of spray (especially in the case of SpectraFix due to it's different pump mechnism). But Schmincke was the best performer and almost eliminates smearing to modest touch of finger. W&N was also good. Surprisingly the other two products performed quite badly, especially Spectrafix which also quicly made the paper curl. Maybe the spray just didn't hit them well or maybe they need more of it or less of it or better luck.

Colorix
11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I can't see any difference either, but one layer usually looks pretty much unchanged. If you layer some more pastels on top of the stripes, and fix again, and maybe repeat, I bet you're starting to see differences. Lighter pastels on top of dark (fixated) ones tend to go much darker when fixated.

JaskaJokunen
11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I can't see any difference either, but one layer usually looks pretty much unchanged. If you layer some more pastels on top of the stripes, and fix again, and maybe repeat, I bet you're starting to see differences. Lighter pastels on top of dark (fixated) ones tend to go much darker when fixated.

I will try to do this the next time I try this, but probably not soon unless I motivate myself to do it tomorrow... but a good tip, light on dark. I'll just do something quick with white on black or something like that. Too tired for that now tbough.

robertsloan2
11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
I love SpectraFix but using it takes a lot of practice with the mister. It's not as easy as just using a spray can. I'm starting to get it, the very light spritz, let it completely dry for 20 minutes, repeat, be patient. One go is too little ,but several light spritzes can work as well as the quick go with the spray cans. On the up side, my cat doesn't even get up and walk away when I use it. It smells nice, it's safe and worth the trouble.

Also sometimes I like that darkening effect when light layers are over dark ones, it can look richer.