GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Spring
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I apologize for the quality of digital image which altered colors and muddied the picture. Unfortunately I still did not discover the reliable process to make digital images of pastels. This was done from photos and memory about the city I was born - Vladivostok, Russia.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I can really use some advise - composition, color, anything. This is my first post, so please don't spare my feelings - I NEED critique.

scurfer
09-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Loved the composition especially those tortured trees and that bleakness of sunlight on brick. Something Van Gogh may have painted if he had lived in Vladivostok.

artbabe21
09-19-2003, 03:14 PM
you've done a really nice job with this...one spot confuses me though ....where the grass goes up on a slope towards the building then ends and you see the buliding? it's not apparent what is happening there...small nit to all you have done...:)
love those trees!!

designditz
09-19-2003, 03:20 PM
I like this alot.. the contrasts are great!.. the area mentioned below doesnt bother me.. really like the whole comp!

Diver
09-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Yes you are right, the dark green area was suppose to be some additional detailed, shadowed part, but... I decided against it - too much attention was diverted. It is not a grass, though.
The image is not good however - it is lighter in reality, there is a bench with small figure in a front (secondary center) that has repeating colors and the trees are not so gloomy as they are hopeful.
Anyway you are right - it was a mistake to do the area in the first place.

Rabbit Twilight
09-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I really like this. It has a great mood. I can almost feel your memories. I love the fact that you can barely see a person seated on a bench to the lower right.

I was confused by the dark spot at the top right, but then I thought it might be a push pin. Sometimes I use those to hold pastel paper on when I paint.

YLCIA
09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
I personally like it:)
I was in Vladivostok when I was 10 years old, with my grandma visiting my uncle who was in the military:)

Julia

Diver
09-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Thank you scurfer, designditz and YLCIA
Yes Rabbit, it is a pin ;)

roberj
09-20-2003, 12:22 AM
The top half is beautiful. I wish we had true color values for this. The lower half looks pretty muddy. I would have liked the shaded area in the lower portion better if the shadows had been colors, blue-violet-red instead of black shading the green. Trees are great...do remind of Van Gogh. Favorite part is the blue roof reflection.

Bob

Rieko
09-20-2003, 02:49 AM
Tangled branches have such a vibrant energy against well-rendered buildings. Blue against the reddish earth-tone building works greatly. I like it very much!

pero lane
09-20-2003, 10:25 AM
The dark area below the building/behind the trees is a little confusing....perhaps to just bring the building all the way down to "street" level would come across a little clearer. Overall...your techinique is great and this has the potential to be a really great peice!:)

Diver
09-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Thank you Pat and Reiko. Bob, you say blue-violet-red - I will try

dornberg
09-24-2003, 08:42 PM
i like the color
and the change of pace

Unbeliever
09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
lovely painterly
see-through trees
point of interest?