PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal in Birch Tree

lizinlanse
11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2013/1349289-IMG_0124_1.jpg Done on Arches in Cotman colors 5X7. I'd like to add some distant trees, preferably pine, fir, evergreen...any ideas? Thanks!

ArtsyMom
11-18-2013, 08:29 AM
What a majestic looking Cardinal, lovely and good as a greeting.

Yorky
11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Beautiful bird, it needs some legs.

Doug

mkillough
11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Love the shadow in the crevice of the limb the bird is perched on. :clap:

I agree that you need to give him legs and feet.

The tree is birch so any pine limbs would have to be added in the background; or you could just start another with a cardinal perched in some pine boughs, or one with him perched among some holly boughs would be pretty; and a few berries for balance.

I have to say I love the perfect red of this cardinal. He's beautiful!

Maryq

lizinlanse
11-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Thank you Maryq, Doug, and LIL. Oh yes, he's getting legs! The red I used in Cad Red and Cad Red Pale, with some Payne's Gray for shadow. I still have a few details to finidh up on him. The trees would be distant trees, I think...where would be an appropriate place to out in some ditant trees...from the bottom up...midway...not sure where to go on that one!

pjartwc
11-19-2013, 04:19 AM
I think this well-done, important looking Cardinal would make a wonderful card.

olliewood0702
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Pretty cardinal; I think some trees in the background, especially evergreens/pines would be very nice. It might be tricky putting in water near the red bird though.

Cyntada
11-21-2013, 12:49 AM
One thought, keep your distant trees a little on the pale side. Even on a perfectly clear day, the atmosphere will dim the far background and make things look fainter. If they're too strong, they'll look like they're right next to the bird, and we wouldn't want anything competing with this fine fellow.

This tutorial (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/35425/528/) seems to be a little incomplete, and is loading really slowly for some reason, but the part you can see does give some nice tips for painting distant trees. I've made cards like these and they are pretty fun and easy to do. The key is letting the paint mingle on its own in the background. The magic is in the randomness.

lizinlanse
11-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Jan, Darla, and Cyntada. I'm going to finish this one tomorrow... I think the trees are going to be tricky for some reason. Wish me luck! :crossfingers:

Cyntada
11-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Pulling up a chair... I think it's going to look good!

Yorky
11-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks, Jan, Darla, and Cyntada. I'm going to finish this one tomorrow... I think the trees are going to be tricky for some reason. Wish me luck! :crossfingers:
Try wetting with clean water and painting wet in wet.

Doug