PDA

View Full Version : Problem when ordering pastels online...

AnnaLisa
11-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello

Today I received a parcel with pastels I have ordered online.
I was happy as Always when seeing those parcels coming.

When opening the parcel it was not that funny. Ok not biggest
problem in the world but it sure made me Think about how the
post guys handle the parcels.

No one have written 'Fragil' on the parcel but not every one does.

Have you ever received artmaterial in a way you didnt whish?

It looked like this, the pencil is a conté and it was broken and
messy.

*Marina*
11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
AnnaLisa, yes I have once received a parcel like that. The pastels just weren't packed very well. I have also received pastels well wrapped and not a single one broken. Depends where you buy your pastels.

Phil Coleman
11-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I ordered 48 SCHMINCKE SOFT PASTELS from someone off Ebay, on arrival 40% of them was just dust. They had just been placed in an over sized box without any packing to support the pastels. The response i received after complaining didnt help either.

AnnaLisa
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Hello Marina and Phil

This parcel I ordered from an art supply store. They were packed in a
Sennelier soft pastel box with foam inside.
I have ordered several times from another Place overseas without
they being broken. Yes now I remember one time when ordering
from Usa, they have had put the Nupastel box in the bottom of the
parcel so many were broken when arriving (arriveing) The oil tube
had a hole in it and paint coming out.

Ooh Phil so many Schmincke and just dust!! So terrible. What did
you do with them, did you mix them and made new ones?

I hope Marina that you didnt ordered many pastels then.

So maybee its better to always tell the shop to put a label like
'FRAGILE' on the parcel.

Its very difficult to know what Company that don´t handle the
parcel carefully, since there are different companies handling the
parcel on its way. But of course if you buy very much art supply
which is distroyed then you have to do something about it.

Now I remember buying from Fineartstore in New York. Not a single
stick was broken. Among other things I ordered the 10 sticks of
Terry L, and that small box they had put in a plastic thing with bubbles
to protect it. So that is the thing they didnt do this time, when ordering
from the UK.

So I will tell them next time to put this plastic thing around the pastels.

Colorix
11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Complain. Show them the photos. Demand they re-send the order, and you're not returning this one, not on your own expense anyway.

robertsloan2
11-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Charlie's right. Most art supply places will just replace the order when it's wrecked and if they want the damaged one back, they pay for that. Blick only ever once wanted a damaged item back - a Winsor & Newton Artist Field Box watercolor set, which was a $90 item. They sent someone to pick it up. I didn't have to pay. Most times they just let me keep the damaged items, which makes them less of a total loss.

RickinNM
11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I have online order to get good art supplies . Some will be great and others real bad. That looks good compared some I have received. Some never make it right others fix any problem with a smile. Blick has been good about replacements here sent a single package for a bad pastel pencil 99% have been perfect.There has to be one like them in the EU.

Eric

Forgot to ask was the shipping company playing soccer with it ?

getdusty
11-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Annalisa, I guessing that you will complain to the store.......you should if you're thinking you won't. They need to know how their product arrives.

gecko99
11-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Yes definitely complain - they should know better!

I have ordered pastels from Jerrys, Blicks and Dakota and they have all arrived completely intact and beautifully packaged.

Good luck with the replacement!

Nicole

CJMonty
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
I have bought a number of Full sets of Pastels, The Full Monty and Son of Monty from Great American Pastels, Full Set of Pan Pastels and from Germany the Full Set of Schminke and not so much of a crumb broken off any of them.
As you can imagine, very happy.
Soft Pastels that I have also bought interstate in Australia also in immaculate condition.
Dakota also pack their Padtel very well.

I also bought 30 sheets of Full size Art Spectrum padtel paper and 20 full size sheets of Fabriano 300gramm watercolour paper and not a crease or a tear either.
Take Care.
Carolynn.

allydoodle
11-13-2013, 10:48 PM
It really does matter where you buy your pastels from. Care needs to be taken when packing them up for shipment, and if it's done right they arrive in pristine condition. If it's done wrong, well, it's ugly at best. I am sorry this happened to you, hopefully the store you purchased them from has good customer service and will send you replacements. I think it definitely is worth the phone call...

NRC
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
It is worth letting the store know ... how will they remedy the problems with shipping if they don't know one exists?

AnnaLisa
11-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone

I have sent them the photos in my email to them the same day as I
received the material. That is 4 Days ago and I have not heard anything
from them yet....

I told them that they had not put a label 'Fragile' on the parcel.

Thank you all for telling your thoughts and experience. Thank you allydoodle
for your thought.
Eric, I also was wondering if they had played with the parcel. Its incredible,
they must have dropped it or thrown it...

The problem here is that its not a big artsupply store that Always send material overseas. But in theese Days a shop usually send nationaly anyhow,
so to pack a parcel is the same...

And you guys have experience with both bad and good artsupply store, but
shouldnt everyone Think about the business?
I mean, first of all everyone need to know how to handle their own Product.
Secondly, if the business Think about the cost of sending new material compared to getting good report/rumour they should understand that in the
long run a good report is much better and can attract new customers and
getting the customers they have coming back.

The art supply warehouse I bought from one time said that they have low
prices for us to buy, so they wanted me to take photos of the items with my
name and address, but since just after ordering from them I received a spam
email with a horrible game in it. I was looking back on the dates and I Think
it was in the postoffice in their area where someone could have got my email.
Because I checked in the email what date I have received the email.

I called them, and yes they said that they give our emails to the post office!!
Why should they know our email address?? That was just a thought I wanted
to tell here beside the issue.
So therefore I didnt send my address and photo
to the art supply store because of what had happened. So they didnt help
me with anything, even though they didnt pack the parcel right.
And I have never bought an item from them again.

Because I found Another store, Fineartstore. They are superb!!
I have never bought anything from Dickblick but I Believe they are good
since you here talk about them. Jacksons are good. I ordered some
Canson paper that I saw that someone there didnt handle right, all had marks. They lowered the price. But otherwise the materials Always come
in good condition from them.

So maybee we should Always tell them in the message box when ordering,
Pack the items well!!!!!

I will see if they answer my email......

DBfarmgirl
11-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I hope they make it right. Either way, I'm not sure I would order anything from them again.

I have ordered pastels from Jackson's in London, both sets and individual pastels. They arrived without so much as a chip. Same thing with Blick. I think if you sell pastels you should know how to ship them without damage.

I won some (thankfully) small sets from ebay that arrived pulverized.

jackiesimmonds
11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I think you must write to the MANAGING DIRECTOR. Send your photos. It is NOT THE FAULT OF THE POST OFFICE. If the goods are not packed properly, this kind of thing will happen. Everybody knows that parcels are knocked around in transit, so it is up to the sender to be sure that the items are packed properly, so even if the box is dropped, nothing happens.

And if something like this does happen, THEY SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE to cover the replacement cost, it is up to the sender, not the post office.

~Write again. Do not let it go. It is their fault. If you paid by credit card, complain to the credit card people...they will often represent you. Barclaycard would do that.

JustinM
11-15-2013, 06:59 PM
I ordered 48 SCHMINCKE SOFT PASTELS from someone off Ebay, on arrival 40% of them was just dust. They had just been placed in an over sized box without any packing to support the pastels. The response i received after complaining didnt help either.

Same problem with me from an ebay purchase. Like 60% of them were literally dust (they stuck an unopened box of soft pastels in a bubble envelope). The seller was responsive & opened a different box they had, took pics and shipped the second one out... in a bubble envelope. Lol. 20% of this one was dust. In the end I got more pastels than I paid for although there were a couple of colours missing (same colour had been pulverized in both shipments)
but since it was just a small purchase I wasnt too unhappy.

Lesson learned & now I check with any sellers to make sure they package them properly before I bid. Just got a 72 set of Derwent pencils from the UK yesterday & every single one was perfect.

Terry Wynn
11-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi, AnnaLisa, I hope you keep protesting and I think Jackie had a super idea about contacting your card company if you paid in that manner.

I have had excellent service from Dick Blick, I think they would bend over backwards and touch the floor before they had an unsatisfied customer.

However, I did order a box of shades from one supplier. Their foam box liner in the pastel box was upturned and wrinkled when the lid was put on the box and when the pastels arrived, the pastel under the wrinkled foam was a shambles. When I asked them to replace that one pastel only of the set, they replied that the pieces of it were still usable and declined. Needless to say, I haven't nor will I ever do business with them again.

Keep after them, AnnaLisa.

Terry

Chikaminx
12-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Did you opt in for insurance on the shipping ? I would have classified that as damaged in transit!!

JPQ
12-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I must order most my art supplies for importer (which also sells them consumer) or few web shops. only few problems exits one Cretacolor hard pastel (blue one) is broken when i ordered and one handmade one (which is lovely hue and discontinued brand which is colour which is very hard replace all other yellows what i knlow are not so strong & warm). all other stuff i get fine way. this is basic reason why i dont order very likely anything which breaks easily outside of finland... but all others i think i breaked itself by accident. and its few pastels. i suprised how little get mess when i dorped i think Schmincke Dark Sepia. only little dust and three pieces.