PDA

View Full Version : How do you mix the color of the peacock

camaur
11-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Hi all: I haven't been painting for over four years (since my husband passed away). I want to start again and I want to paint a peacock. I don't know how to get the color blue. Does anyone know how to make it sparkle. I paint in oils.

:wave:thanks in advance, Camaur

Journeyman
11-10-2013, 04:36 AM
More important than which blue you mix is what you put next to it Camaur, so you are going to have to surround the blue with warm colours to make the cool of the blue come alive. Think of the whole picture not the individual colours.

:wave: Dave

Patrick1
11-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Hi, I'm sorry about your loss.

Like most things - but particularly iridescent colors like this - you have to try to capture the color variation within the form. A peacock's iridescent blue or blue-green color (depending on the part of the body) varies a lot between highlights (where it's brilliant and high chroma) to the edges where it's much darker but still highly saturated.

To capture this range of colors, Phthalo blues and greens might be the best choice. And darkened not by using black. However, I agree with Dave that how you compose all your colors together as a whole matters much more than which individual colors you choose...if done properly, it's possible to get a brilliant, lifelike color appearance even with lower chroma colors.

Gigalot
11-10-2013, 07:16 AM
To capture this range of colors, Phthalo blues and greens might be the best choice.
And Dioxazine Purple to mix deep blues and violet. Ultramarine is highly saturated paint and might be also great to paint pure blues.

Patrick1
11-10-2013, 08:03 AM
And Dioxazine Purple to mix deep blues and violet. Ultramarine is highly saturated paint and might be also great to paint pure blues.

:thumbsup: Yup! Darkening Phthalo Blues and Greens with thickly applied Ultramarine or Dioxazine - instead of black or a complement - will keep up the saturation noticeably better.

sidbledsoe
11-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi all: I haven't been painting for over four years (since my husband passed away). I want to start again and I want to paint a peacock. I don't know how to get the color blue. Does anyone know how to make it sparkle. I paint in oils.

:wave:thanks in advance, Camaur
A good place to ask this question would be in the Animal/Wildlife Forum. I know there are many former threads about peacock paintings and there are some darned good experts at such things.

camaur
11-15-2013, 03:49 PM
thank you for your great advice. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. I will certainly use the colors you mentioned.

Camaur