PDA

View Full Version : Rose & Liliies -- suggestions

Lawrence Fox
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's a sketch I'm working on. It's a rose along with some lilies of the valley; I'm not so sure if the latter show up good enough or if I should try to better the definition with watercolour pencil (or some white gouache):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2013/103344-Rose_upload1.jpg
The original is a bit darker, btw.

GardenMaven
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Great job on the rose! I dread painting roses even though I love them. The lily of the valley does appear, but is faint.

mhimeswc
11-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I like this the way it is. I don't think it needs anything else. I love the red in the stem.

pjartwc
11-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Love the rose. perhaps another leaf behind the Lily of the Valley would bring them out.

olliewood0702
11-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Lawrence, I think you need to darken the background behind the lilies and part of the rose to make them pop. A few more of the dreaded "darks" too would help. It's a lovely start.

CharM
11-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Lawrence! Pretty neat that we'll be "Meet-ing" up in a few months, eh? :) Darla's advice is sound. Plan the path of your background colour so that you place your darkest darks against your lightest lights.

The darker values behind the lily of the valley will make them come forward immediately. And the lighter values will do the same for your lovely rose. Of course, you'll need to work out the transitions so you don't *halo* your elements.

Lawrence Fox
11-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've done some additional glazing to the rose to darken it and added some white (I had some stuff left over from Shelley's demo a couple of years ago at one of the Meets) to the flowers and they're a bit nicer (at least Gail gave the painting a thumbs up and not a "is it finished?").

I'll let it sit for another day or so and then look again at the background.

Lawrence

PS Char, yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you and the gang again! Are we gonna play with colours <g>?