PDA

View Full Version : Buying a computer

LavenderFrost
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
How does one choose a computer these days? I'm hoping someone here knows something about them. I'm trying to look for one but there is such a range of prices. Of course I don't want to spend more than I have to but I want something decent.

I am just doing 2d artwork, don't really play games anymore but when I did it was mostly RTS games and maybe some RPG. I don't understand why people need to spend thousands on a computer just to play games.

I found a couple at Best Buy that look good, like this HP (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-500-desktop-computer-amd-a10-6800k-1tb-hdd-10gb-ram-windows-8-500-189/10271706.aspx?path=7e562a7f6d2ea80f04620204bea20052en02). What concerns me is that it says it's good for people who like to upgrade, but it looks pretty good already.

This Asus (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-m11bb-desktop-computer-amd-a10-6700-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-black-m11bb-ca007s/10268700.aspx?path=c4082a18aa444641af1bd3f62ef6a06den02) looks good too.

Elainepsq
11-05-2013, 02:02 PM
A computer which is upgradable is always a good thing. Just when you feel you are comfortable with a computer a new version of your software comes out, wooing you with new features, and you purchase it, just to find out that you need more ram, a better graphics card or the newest operating system. Just getting onto sites on the internet requires Flash and Java updates. With more and more video online these days, you can't say just use an old machine just for internet access.
I believe you use Painter, correct? that program is a hog and it gets larger with each upgrade, so I'd be sure any computer you buy is ready for painter and then some, assuming they will want to upgrade painter at some time. They seem to have fairly regular upgrades.

MaloCS
11-05-2013, 11:31 PM
How does one choose a computer these days? I'm hoping someone here knows something about them. I'm trying to look for one but there is such a range of prices. Of course I don't want to spend more than I have to but I want something decent.

I am just doing 2d artwork, don't really play games anymore but when I did it was mostly RTS games and maybe some RPG. I don't understand why people need to spend thousands on a computer just to play games.

I found a couple at Best Buy that look good, like this HP (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-500-desktop-computer-amd-a10-6800k-1tb-hdd-10gb-ram-windows-8-500-189/10271706.aspx?path=7e562a7f6d2ea80f04620204bea20052en02). What concerns me is that it says it's good for people who like to upgrade, but it looks pretty good already.

This Asus (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-m11bb-desktop-computer-amd-a10-6700-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-black-m11bb-ca007s/10268700.aspx?path=c4082a18aa444641af1bd3f62ef6a06den02) looks good too.

LavenderFrost,

Both of those machines are more than adequate for 2D graphics. Heck, those machines would be adequate for most gaming apps.

What you need to determine is how many RAM slots are available on the motherboards. This will determine if you can add more RAM in the future when your programs require it. I would also determine if there is an empty hard drive bay so you can add a secondary drive if needed. However, with USB 3.0 external hard drives becoming more common this may not hold the importance it once did.

I would buy the HP for no other reason then brand familiarity but I can see how someone would go with the Asus. Both machines will get the job done with speed and reliability. With the money you save you can get you a Samsung 27 PLS Monitor (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27B971DS/ZA).

:thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was told that Asus is a good brand, that they were actually making computers for other companies and then started selling their own. From the specs it looks like that one is expandable. I'm tempted to save the $100.

Nice monitor but I think I'll stick with my old 24" Samsung. :lol:

Elvira
11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Both are good machines, my husband who builds my computers says the HP is a bit better in that the processor is faster, and has a dedicated video card, he did find 10gigs of ram rather odd as it usually come in units of 4 i.e, 2 X 4 for 8 or 4 X4 for 16, the as a the Asus has 12 which = 3X4. He did suggest upgrading the video card to a Radeon 7950 or the 7970, or even one of the new AMD R9 series cards.

Do you have any independent Computer shops in your area he suggests take the specs you like and see what they quote you for one you may get more for you buck and more upgrade ability which is always a benifit as adding ram and changing th graphics card are sometimes all you need to do, if you have a good motherboard, Asus is a good one, the new board should have a PCIE 3 slots to insure the ability to upgrade.

The AMD brand is the best bang for the buck!

LavenderFrost
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks Elvira, I was still trying to decide, but now I see the HP is sold out so I guess my mind was made up for me. lol I was kind of leaning toward the Asus anyway. That's an extra $100 for other things.

I don't know much about video cards. What does your husband think of the one in the Asus?

Elvira
11-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks Elvira, I was still trying to decide, but now I see the HP is sold out so I guess my mind was made up for me. lol I was kind of leaning toward the Asus anyway. That's an extra $100 for other things.

I don't know much about video cards. What does your husband think of the one in the Asus?

I suspect this is where the savings is coming from, they don't list a video card in the specs, so I would guess they are using onboard video many motherboards come with built in video cards, they aren't as good as a dedicated card but can be quiet adequate on a general purpose machine, neither of us have ever had a PC without the dedicated card, however our laptops seem to play games and movies ok, (they aren't use to create images) without the separate card.

Alf says they are both okay machines. Personally the upgrade ability would be important as neither were current in their components, all were older than mine and my machine is at least 2 year old, it is cheaper to upgrade a bit at a time than by a complete system every time.

LavenderFrost
11-13-2013, 01:46 PM
It's so hard to decide, especially when I don't know much about these things, lol. If I go with the Asus is it possible to add a video card if I need to? What difference does it actually make when it comes to painting?

Elvira
11-13-2013, 04:29 PM
I can't say for sure as I have always had a dedicated video card and the last few years one with its own ram on it, I suspect it may work a bit slower, but then again Painter uses the CPU alot too so I guess you would know until you tried it. Ask at the store if you can upgrade, the video cardand the ram these are the most likely area one may want to upgrade anyway so it would be good to know if it is possible. I have never had an out of the box machine so it is hard for me to judge.

Yorky
11-13-2013, 04:40 PM
For graphical programs such as Photoshop a dedicated graphics card isn't essential. Better to have more RAM and disc storage.

Doug

LavenderFrost
11-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. Well, I'm going to go for it and order the Asus today. It will be nice to have my own computer again instead of hubby's laptop. I want to get all my programs set up again.