PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 8 Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Paint Along 8 with Johannes Vloothuis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2013/135220-SunsetCove.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment, in a 4 hour marathon during 3 Saturdays.
He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want, paint along as well during a live video
feed. Because of the lengthy duration of the class you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class
you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way.
If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry everything will be recorded and for download so you miss nothing.
Then you can watch the classes at any time of your preference. One demo will be in oil, another in watercolor and another in pastels.
12 hours of high quality art instruction.
When? November 30, December 7 and 14
What time? 1 to 5 PM EST (Check your local time)
Medium? All
$18.99 To register: http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-...nnes-vloothuis (http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis)

mickisew
11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Purchased and registered - can't wait to get started. I know this will be another exceptional session!

Micki

Wetpaint0938
11-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Registered and waiting Always a treat to learn more .

Borntobeanartist
11-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered today! Can hardly wait to learn more from you Jo! Thank you for your hard work on these!

roeleens_canvas
11-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered and looking forward to it...;)

Catlady2
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Jo, registered & can't wait, love your classes!:cat:
Catlady2/Ann Marie

LADYBUGAZ
11-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Registration complete. Looking forward to the next adventure. (while I complete the last one!)
LADYBUGAZ/a.k.a.: Carolyn B.

mickisew
11-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Wet Canvas Newsletter

FREE DEMO: Saturday, November 16th, 1:00pm - 2:00pm ET

By now you have all heard of Johannes Vloothuis. He is one of our official instructors who gives online classes. You are all invited to take a free webinar on Saturday, November 16 from 1 to 2:00 PM EST. It will be very interesting because Johannes will discuss his compositional reasoning as he showcases his paintings against reference photos. This is a very handy learning tool to see what he uses and rejects when using photos. You don't want to miss it! If you cannot attend the live event, you will get a stream of the recording as long as you register. Click here to sign up for this FREE demo now! https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/679388145?et_mid=645157&rid=236467002

nancysue10
11-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I often hear Jo speak about projecting the image onto your surface. I am wondering what kind of projector he recommends. I would love to do that as I love painting, drawing not so much. Does anyone know about this? Thanks! I so love all of Jo's classes. Haven't missed one in the last 18 months.
Nancy

Catlady2
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
mickisew, thanks so much for your post of the free webinar on the 16th, I just registered!!
Ann Marie from New Hampshire:cat:

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I often hear Jo speak about projecting the image onto your surface. I am wondering what kind of projector he recommends. I would love to do that as I love painting, drawing not so much. Does anyone know about this? Thanks! I so love all of Jo's classes. Haven't missed one in the last 18 months.
Nancy
The artograph shows a weak image and needs to be used when it is night time in a dark room to see the projection. They are more affordable but you need a printed photo to use it. I don't recommend any of these projectors that don't connect to your computer. LCD projectors that people use for conferences work very well. They have really come down in price. Office Depot has some models for around $300. They feed right off your computer but I want to give a word of caution. I would only project things that require very precise drawing such as buildings, people, vehicles or wildlife. For general landscape painting I would draw the shapes to make sure they are abstract and have melodic lines. Just projecting a general landscape in my book would not to be good because of the photo dependency.

nancysue10
11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you Jo, yes I love doing buildings of any kind and still have some real problems with perspective. I especially have a hard time when there are steps either going up to the subject or down to a street below. I keep drawing them but never seem to get it right. Your drawing the other day when you explained it is "your eyes" that are important to establishing perspective did help. But drawing all of those lines on canvas or pastel paper isn't doesn't seem like a good idea?
Anyway I will look into the kind of projector you suggest....maybe Santa will bring it to me.
Looking forward to your free class then the next series. Thank you for all you do!!
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
11-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you Jo, yes I love doing buildings of any kind and still have some real problems with perspective. I especially have a hard time when there are steps either going up to the subject or down to a street below. I keep drawing them but never seem to get it right. Your drawing the other day when you explained it is "your eyes" that are important to establishing perspective did help. But drawing all of those lines on canvas or pastel paper isn't doesn't seem like a good idea?
Anyway I will look into the kind of projector you suggest....maybe Santa will bring it to me.
Looking forward to your free class then the next series. Thank you for all you do!!
Nancy
Elaborate drawing can burn you out and you can lose interest to paint the scene. We should use all modern tools at our finger tips to get the job done.

chodi
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
My problem is now resolved.
I don't know how to delete a post.

Diane

Rosemarie
11-16-2013, 10:20 AM
My problem is now resolved.
I don't know how to delete a post.

Diane

You can't delete a post. :wave:

VanPaint
11-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm curious, is the posted painting going to be the subject of the paint-a-long? Thank you.

Rosemarie
11-17-2013, 12:51 AM
No, it was painted in the last Paint Along #7. We will get new images to paint.

william19
11-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I have registered ,looking forward to my first online class .i love the look of the work of Jo to can't wait .what will i need to do the class?.

Rosemarie
11-17-2013, 04:16 AM
For the watching on the computer or for painting, or both?

mickisew
11-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi, Johannes!

Great demo yesterday! Of course, your continuing to answer questions until 4:30 PM our time is not unusual for us that have been with you for a while. LOL

I look forward to Paint-Along 8. I hope we have many newbies joining to enjoy and learn from your teaching. You certainly spoil us with your sharing of techniques and experience. For those of us that have been with you for - gosh - almost 3 years, it is good to see, hear and do.

Thanks for everything.

Micki

PS: Can't wait to see our reference photo, sketch with grid, and instructions for the first class on November 30!

jeanetteg
11-17-2013, 12:33 PM
HI everyone great class yesterday i was able watch it on my new tv.

Wetpaint0938
11-18-2013, 12:10 AM
THANKS for the class yesterday the question time was priceless wish it could have been recorded to much to remember we all need refresher courses of all your secrets Jo.

lildip
11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
To all who'd like to know, North Light has a new offering of Johanness' teaching of trees, water, buildings and waterfalls in DVD format. these are preorders but will be out soon and are very reasonable in cost . This is for those of you who'd prefer to be able to sit away from the computer and watch DVD's to be able to rewind and rewatch many times these lessons we spent hours at over the past couple years and might not have remembered everything we saw then. I've order at least 3 of them and can hardly wait for however many more there might be for sale in the near future.. Lildip

Johannes Instructor
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
To all who'd like to know, North Light has a new offering of Johanness' teaching of trees, water, buildings and waterfalls in DVD format. these are preorders but will be out soon and are very reasonable in cost . This is for those of you who'd prefer to be able to sit away from the computer and watch DVD's to be able to rewind and rewatch many times these lessons we spent hours at over the past couple years and might not have remembered everything we saw then. I've order at least 3 of them and can hardly wait for however many more there might be for sale in the near future.. Lildip
Where is the link for this?

Rosemarie
11-20-2013, 01:14 AM
I looked it up and if you go to each product there are two options, one for DVD and one for downloading. I find downloading working very well. Nothing gets lost in the mail.

Rosemarie
11-20-2013, 01:17 AM
I saw that the first image for the Paint Along is up. This will be a lovely painting.
Could you give some pointers for us watercolourists that we have to think of when doing a wc, as the we have to plan more in advance?

lildip
11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Where is the link for this?

I received a flyer in yesterday's mail and the ad was on page 2 and 3 in the North light flyer. I was so excited I could hardly wait to order 3 of the four DVDs that were advertised. When I called, Julie looked up on the North light on line website, and determined it had not been updated so she corrected the order for me and said they would likely come in separate packages by Nov's end. This is what made me decide to post info about it, so those who didn't get the flyer might look it up on line. It was a sale with free shipping on orders over 25.00$. Can't beat that!:clap:

lildip
11-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Just a note, I've been a long time customer of North Light, and get reular updaytes both online, and in the mail.

Johannes Instructor
11-20-2013, 11:17 AM
I saw that the first image for the Paint Along is up. This will be a lovely painting.
Could you give some pointers for us watercolourists that we have to think of when doing a wc, as the we have to plan more in advance?
It will be quite hard in watercolor. What I would do is put the blue areas in first leaving the blank abstract designs of the orange areas. Wait for it to dry. Then glaze over with the orange hues.

Rosemarie
11-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Johannes!
It is such information that helps when painting in another medium than you do on the Paint alongs.

nancysue10
11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Jo,
I am struggling with the flag stones in the cottage we painted in May. The one on Cape Cod with the white railing.
Can you direct me to any source that would teach me how exactly to do these stones. I had problems with them in the Spanish one with the fountain also.
Do any of your classes you sell specifically teach this? I seem to have a brain block on these. They look like they are going uphill or have no sense of dimension.
:rolleyes:
Thank you.
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
11-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi Jo,
I am struggling with the flag stones in the cottage we painted in May. The one on Cape Cod with the white railing.
Can you direct me to any source that would teach me how exactly to do these stones. I had problems with them in the Spanish one with the fountain also.
Do any of your classes you sell specifically teach this? I seem to have a brain block on these. They look like they are going uphill or have no sense of dimension.
:rolleyes:
Thank you.
Nancy
The Essentials of Painting Buildings covers it all. In fact there is a specific painting I did with a stone wall to precisely cover this
http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918041421004703&atid=Essentials+of+Painting+Buildings+with+Johannes+Vloothuis+&lcpt=0&lcpf=3&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/complete-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis

nancysue10
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you so much Jo!! Bought it and am looking forward to learning!! All signed up for your next 3 classes too. I so appreciate all of your kindness and sharing. You're the best!!
Nancy

Borntobeanartist
11-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Look at this sktuy over the Grand Canyon!

domeland
11-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Wow what a cool picture!

Johannes Instructor
11-27-2013, 07:15 PM
LOL Nature just violated a commandment. Thou shalt not clone. The two separate lighting effects are clones.

VanPaint
11-28-2013, 08:13 AM
LOL Nature just violated a commandment. Thou shalt not clone. The two separate lighting effects are clones.

I was looking at cloud formations yesterday and saw a number of clones...tried to imagine how I would un-clone them in a painting.

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I was waiting for the class to start. About 1:15 it started the usual chant that it would start any minute.. that went on for 15 min and then poof, it was gone. Have the regular class screen and everything. Never had this problem before. I keep trying to get back on to the student screen and keeps saying waiting for you and also successfully connected. I don't know a place to go get help to find out whether you're actually there and having problems or its a problem on my end. I went to troubleshoot and I did everything right. I have extremely fast connection and I've tried Firefox as well as Explorer. I'd just like to know if you weren't able to have the session today so I won't keep trying. Thanks..

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
I was waiting for the class to start. About 1:15 it started the usual chant that it would start any minute.. that went on for 15 min and then poof, it was gone. Have the regular class screen and everything. Never had this problem before. I keep trying to get back on to the student screen and keeps saying waiting for you and also successfully connected. I don't know a place to go get help to find out whether you're actually there and having problems or its a problem on my end. I went to troubleshoot and I did everything right. I have extremely fast connection and I've tried Firefox as well as Explorer. I'd just like to know if you weren't able to have the session today so I won't keep trying. Thanks.. Anyone know if the class is going on?

Rosemarie
11-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Session is on. Restart the computer and try again.

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I closed down and started again.. same page that says I'm successfully connected but don't go to the screen that has the little side box for audio, questions, etc and would have Johannes. I've never had this problem. I'm on Firefox and I'm signed into GoToMeeting. I've followed the email link and I've also gone straight to the GTM site and put in the session number. Nothing gets me back to the screen with instruction. I've gone to the GTM help website too and done everything they suggest. I really wanted to paint along with this, usually I just take notes. Do you think that Robert will be posting notes from class?

Rosemarie
11-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Don't go to GTM. We are in Livestream. You find the link in the mail from Johanned he sent today.

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I did.. from the email.. several times and one just came again and tried it again. Several times I went to Go to Meeting site though and put the number in for the course.. 482311888 and it still brought me back to the page that says successfully connected and waiting on organizer. He's already halfway through the class so I'm about to give up. If you miss the class you were suppose to be able to watch it again somewhere. Where would that be? I had someone sit with my husband today so I could do this. I'm bummed. He's in poor health and haven't been able to do one of these in awhile.. this was going to be my bright spot in my week. Thanks for all your help. You're always a good source.. and Robert.

Rosemarie
11-30-2013, 02:59 PM
You seem still to expect it to look like in GoToMeeting. Close GTM. We are not using GTM.
You should have gotten a mail named "Paint Along Day 1". Look in the spam folder. It has a link to the student pages. On the Student page you'll have a Video link

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 03:01 PM
OK.. went back through my emails and saw one from Improve My Paintings, the others afterwards are from Wet Canvas.. anyway, opened that one and saw where they weren't having it on GoToMeeting at all. I didn't understand what you were saying about not to go to GTM and I was clicking on the confirmation letters from WetCanvas. I have it now and will back it up but still have to be back to my husband by 5 est. Will it be available for download so I can watch the whole thing?

Rosemarie
11-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I am glad you got it! Yes, you will get a mail when the video is downloadable. Usually around Tuesday or Wednesday.

litlbitartsy
11-30-2013, 03:09 PM
:clap:

mickisew
11-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Were you at Go To Meeting? We do not use it for the Paint-Along sessions. Johannes sent out an email today reminding everyone of this.

You use the page (Student Access Page) which is where you are directed after registering for the class.

If you did not register, you can go to your North Light account, go to your purchase, click on view order. In red you will see "to complete your registration please visit ...". Click on that, register and you are taken to the Student Access Page. Bookmark it as we use it for the entire session.

I see your post in the correct thread and you have solved the problem.

Micki

mickisew
12-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Johannes: Another great class. I decided to do an under-painting in acrylic and forgot how dark acrylic dries. Grrrrrrrrr Hence, I have value issues. Time to break out the oils and do my thing. LOL

Thanks for leaving the video up - I will watch it again as I paint.

Micki

carolyn2001
12-01-2013, 03:34 PM
ok, I just found the video for yesterday's class :clap:

what I'm now wondering is can we download it onto our computer? (Mac)

tks

mickisew
12-01-2013, 04:12 PM
ok, I just found the video for yesterday's class :clap:

what I'm now wondering is can we download it onto our computer? (Mac)

tks

No - the video on Livestream cannot be downloaded. In a couple of days Johannes will send an email with a link and password for the download.

Micki

Borntobeanartist
12-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Here is what I did on Saturday. Sure was a hard one!

Johannes Instructor
12-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Johannes: Another great class. I decided to do an under-painting in acrylic and forgot how dark acrylic dries. Grrrrrrrrr Hence, I have value issues. Time to break out the oils and do my thing. LOL

Thanks for leaving the video up - I will watch it again as I paint.

Micki
You can scumble on it to lighten the value.

LadyMadonna
12-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Here is my rendition of Saturday's paintalong. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would even though the Grand Canyon is a big rock ... I also gleaned some information that is helping to me to work through my previous painting which I will repost at a later date. I learn so much from you Jo every single time.

carolyn2001
12-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm looking forward to Saturday's class. Will the photo reference be posted soon? I need some time to draw the image....thanks Jo!!!

mickisew
12-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Johannes: I like the reference for this Saturday. I can see this being painted as different seasons in any medium. I am excited to get out the pastel sticks - it has been a while. I will get out Thursday to see if I can purchase sky or pearl gray in Mi-Teintes - not a hue in my stash. LOL Anyway, sounds like another great class!

Micki

Sheri Hammond
12-03-2013, 08:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2013/678462-PC030792.JPG
Thank you again Johannes for your generous lessons I now get what a good and abstract shape is. It was a mystery before your classes and paint alongs. I have been a studrnt for three years and you are responsible for me painting again! This painting was done in pan pastels ( which I love) and some stick wotk at the end. :clap:

Johannes Instructor
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2013/678462-PC030792.JPG
Thank you again Johannes for your generous lessons I now get what a good and abstract shape is. It was a mystery before your classes and paint alongs. I have been a studrnt for three years and you are responsible for me painting again! This painting was done in pan pastels ( which I love) and some stick wotk at the end. :clap:
Yes no question I do see the abstract design in your painting.

LynnM
12-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Pan pastel, on Curry's 200lb watercolour paper, a bit rough I think. 10x13. need some sticks to finish, the pencils would not take.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2013/97813-Class_1_final_Grand_Canyon.jpg

Thanks, Johannes, I always learn something. Really nice work posted above, love your abstract work Donna :)

LADYBUGAZ
12-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Good Morning! Getting ready for the next great class, still working on the first one. My eyes are still crossed with all those masses/abstract shapes, colors, and then details! What a wonderful and complex challenge! I'm posting my paint-along sketch, and the WIP as well just to be on the record.
First, the p-along:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2013/1015622-CB-PaintAlongSketch_1LRes.jpg
Work in Progress:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2013/1015622-CB-16x20_1LRes.jpg

Thanks Johannas for the much needed instruction as I re-enter art and as a newbie to landscape!:)

Carolyn B. a.k.a. LadyBugAZ

ToskaFromAlabama
12-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks Jo, Another great Paint along.

Do we post our paintings on this thread or student critique thread?

Toska :angel:

VanPaint
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Enjoying the Paint-a-long! I appreciate your way of teaching - especially how to fight left-brain tendancies and allow the right brain to create. The painting line types discussion really makes sense now.

Tod Van Wieren

carolyn2001
12-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Jo....Wonderful watching you paint and thanks for being so free with your knowledge. I learn so much....never used pastels so I look forward to starting this today.

I wasn't able to watch this class live and am enjoying it now. LOVE the final painting. Never imagined that the photo would look like that!

So glad I found you! This is an unbelievable way to learn. Love the livestream format. It's so much better than taking a workshop because I learn by watching and listening to you....plus can ask questions!

What mediums are you using next week?

Thanks.
Carolyn Robbin :clap:

Jacdesusbielle
12-08-2013, 09:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2013/1067432-image.jpg
Another great class Jo full of little details and so many nuggets ! Very glad to have a pastel class with pastel sticks. Thank you so much. Even if it carries me very late in the night, I enjoy enormously painting with you and all the students. I can't chat a lot because I am too busy painting but I listen to you and I can tell you don't talk too much. It's a real pleasure !
See you next Saturday.

LadyMadonna
12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
This is my rendition of yesterday's pastel class. Loved the class. Love pastels.

desthers
12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2013/185636-11.30.13_006-2.JPG
Really enjoyed the class. The two pastel postings are lovely. Here is my start in Interactive acrylics. Have sealed it, then will put heavier paint on top. Looking forward to next weeks watercolor. Diane in snowy Utah

Johannes Instructor
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jo, Another great Paint along.

Do we post our paintings on this thread or student critique thread?

Toska :angel:
Here is fine.

mirizar
12-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Jo, here is my attempt at the Grand Canyon scene in oils. I'm a little behind on it. C&C are welcome. This one was fun but a pain due to all those nooks and cranies in the mountains.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2013/31994-grandcanyon_oils.jpg

Rosemarie
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Jo, here is my attempt at the Grand Canyon scene in oils. I'm a little behind on it. C&C are welcome. This one was fun but a pain due to all those nooks and cranies in the mountains.

This paintng is WOW! You have done a very good job not adding all nooks and cranies. I love the light in the painting::clap: :clap: :cat: :clap: :clap:

mirizar
12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
This paintng is WOW! You have done a very good job not adding all nooks and cranies. I love the light in the painting::clap: :clap: :cat: :clap: :clap:
Thanks so much Rosemarie! Now to attempt the winter scene in oil pastels :/

jillmc3
12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Great class as usual, Jo. Here is my pastel attempt of the Grand Canyon. After I photographed it, I noticed the dark in the center is a little too dark! I'll work on that! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2013/153055-IMG_0358.gif

jillmc3
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Here is the snowy bridge. I really enjoyed this one! I see I have a "meatball tree" LOL. Will fix it...Thanks for all you do, Jo! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2013/153055-IMG_0359.gif

carolyn2001
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi Jo....

I'm looking forward to the download for Class 2. I wasn't able to watch live and can't wait to start a pastel!

beart
12-11-2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2013/88528-IMG_1740_edited-1.jpg It said the picture was resized. I guess some color changes. :wave: The two spots are not really there. It could be when I took it outside to spray it.

valh
12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Session 8, Week 1
Oil on primed canvas, 9x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2013/40174-scaledValH_8-1.JPG

valh
12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Week 2 of Session 8 - I really wanted to tweak this more but I think it just isn't going to get done. The support itself is just about at its limit, will not accept much more pastel.
Clear gesso, sanded watercolor paper with a watercolor underwash of light grey.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2013/40174-scaledValH_8-2.JPG

horsthh
12-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Week 2 of Session 8, another great session, thanks Johannes.
I don't do pastels, so here is my version in oil, painted during the lesson.

Horst

ToskaFromAlabama
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
12 x 18" pastel on premium acid free sanded pastel paper. 400 grade.
This was new paper for me. A little too fine for landscapes. Also, took the first wash well, but not the second. Bits of paper rubbed off.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2013/1146577-bridge_in_snow_Dec_2013.jpg

Jacdesusbielle
12-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Love your personal way of painting the bridge Toska and the falling snow is a great idea. Bravo ! Nice work !

Jacdesusbielle
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
12 x 18" pastel on premium acid free sanded pastel paper. 400 grade.
This was new paper for me. A little too fine for landscapes. Also, took the first wash well, but not the second. Bits of paper rubbed off.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2013/1146577-bridge_in_snow_Dec_2013.jpg
Love your personal way of painting the bridge Toska and the falling snow is a great idea. Bravo ! Nice work !

ToskaFromAlabama
12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Thank you, appreciate your comment. Your painting has your own vision too.

painteriam
12-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Finally got one done in a timely manner. I am still wandering around the Grand Canyon too......This one is in oil, 16x 20.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2013/139791-Stone_Bridge.jpg

LynnM
12-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Here's mine, pan pastel finished with soft sticks. Thanks for that Johannes, it prompted me to get some sticks as I couldn't get much more on with the pans. 10x13 in. Curry's 200lb watercolour paper with light grey watercolour underwash, a bit too much texture I think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2013/97813-My_painting_Class_2_d_Medium_Web_view.jpg

sherrysherman
12-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Of course, not QUITE done (I actually didn't quite make it through the recording) ... but I needed to leave. And of course, once it's up here, NOW I see more fixes. As usual. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2013/616112-paintalong_8.2-rev800.jpg

chickadeedee
12-14-2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2013/1072912-7.jpg Great class as always. Love the other paintings posted. He is mine. Did not have the right paper and used my Pan Pastels. Comments always welcome!-Dee

horsthh
12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Could not contain myself, had to start the new painting. 12 by 12 in oil, I don't have watercolors.

chickadeedee
12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Great class as always. Love the other paintings posted. He is mine. Did not have the right paper and used my Pan Pastels. Comments always welcome!-Dee
Now that it is up here, I see clones!!!

kblundell
12-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello, here is my version of the Grand Canyon. I did it in oil on 16 x 20 canvas. I've learned a lot from your class, thank you so much!

LadyMadonna
12-14-2013, 06:44 PM
I am not a good watercolorist and this proved it. ..my paper buckled and was tinted pink from masonite that I had it taped to wet down. I had a great time anyways ! ..just a few pastels near the end for definition and because there was no white on my paper ..just pink !

sherrysherman
12-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I am not a good watercolorist and this proved it. ..my paper buckled and was tinted pink from masonite that I had it taped to wet down. I had a great time anyways ! ..just a few pastels near the end for definition and because there was no white on my paper ..just pink !

Accentuate the pink in the sky and call it moody. :wink2:

Rosemarie
12-15-2013, 12:53 PM
:clap: Thank you Johannes for Paint Along 8. Even after 3 years I learn new things. :clap: :clap:

carolyn2001
12-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes, thanks Johannes. Wonderful instruction. My first classes and I'm hooked!

Carolyn Robbin :wave:

pamshowcase
12-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Here is my WC 12 x 12 on arches cp. Great class, comments appreciated, Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2013/174457-image.jpg
not happy with blue boat but overall glad to have come this far! thanks, Jo

ToskaFromAlabama
12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2013/1146577-Homework_review_revised.jpg

Johannes Instructor
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2013/1146577-Homework_review_revised.jpg
One way to solve it would be to send the tree on the left further back so the two trees don't line up.

ToskaFromAlabama
12-16-2013, 10:44 AM
One way to solve it would be to send the tree on the left further back so the two trees don't line up.

Good idea, I can do that!

Jacdesusbielle
12-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Here is my WC 12 x 12 on arches cp. Great class, comments appreciated, Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2013/174457-image.jpg
not happy with blue boat but overall glad to have come this far! thanks, Jo
It's true the blue boat seems a bit odd but the rest of your WC is great. Congrats Pam !

mirizar
12-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Jo!

Here's my bridge one in oil pastels. I couldn't get past the second part of the video since I'm out of tooth and I'm just having to scrape off the older layers :(
I am going to let it sit a few days to see if the oil pastel hardens a bit. Do you see any major issues that need correcting? I'm weary of even touching it anymore.

Thanks, Michelle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2013/31994-bridge_op.jpg

valh
12-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Finally found a wee bit of time to fine tune this painting from last Saturdays PA#8. The boat in lower right needed to be knocked back a bit, fixed some roofline, tried adding fog using zinc white (a first for me) and few other things here and there. My largest effort so far: 16x16 oil on primed linen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2013/40174-sizedVal_Wk8-3.jpg

painterted
12-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Finally finished it, this was a fun project. The top edge of the red boat is a little cockeyed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2013/909312-P1010006.JPG

firesignart
12-19-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2013/97017-decemberboats-Jo.jpg
This is my 16" x 16" acrylic (Interactives) ohn canvas that I painted during the class Saturday. It looks to me like several ideas not quite tied together. I don't know if I will finish it ...maybe try again in wc.

Tresgatos
12-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Johannes,

Finished two of the 3 paintings to the best of my current ability - hoping to improve at some point.

All three were a challenge - the drawing for the buildings was tough even with the grid but I now see how I can at least attempt an approach to similar scenes.

While I did attempt to paint along when painting the Grand Canyon it was somewhat confusing still so will need to review the video and then attempt to correct some of the areas. My friend stopped over the other day and she recognized it as the canyon so I guess that is a good start (I hadn't told her what we painted)

The creek and bridge had its own challenge - I did paint along and had to revise it a bit before posting.

These were great learning experiences - hopefully, I will eventually learn how to look at a landscape outside and be able to apply what I have learned in these classes.

Following are the 2 paintings I completed - I hope to get back to the Canyon painting in a couple of weeks - after the holidaze - Looking forward to the Jan 4 lesson. Thank you for your patience and continued encouragement. Hopefully, you will be able to give a brief critique on these.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family as well as all the other participants in this learning journey.

Barbara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2013/113757-EMAIL_FOGGY_VILLAGE_WITH_BOATS_DSC_0210.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2013/113757-EMAIL_CREEK_AND_BRIDGE_WITH_SNOW_DSC_0212.jpg

Jacdesusbielle
12-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Finally finished it, this was a fun project. The top edge of the red boat is a little cockeyed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2013/909312-P1010006.JPG

Great painting as usual Ted. Love the delicate touch, the reflection in the water, the colours you chose. You can frame it and put it on your wall..... or on mine !
Bravo !

ladydma
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
This was my first attempt at watercolor. As such, I didn't feel brave enough to add the seagulls and the light post details. This was also the first paint along session that I have attended. Being new to all mediums, I found this class to be extremely informative. Jo, you do a phenomenal job teaching your techniques. Thank you. Diane Ardaryhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2013/1374950-photo.JPG

mirizar
12-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Here is the watercolor scene. I had some trouble with glazing the buildings (I kept disturbing the paint). This is Fabriano paper, so that's why :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2013/31994-boat_scene_wcs.jpg

Johannes Instructor
12-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Here is the watercolor scene. I had some trouble with glazing the buildings (I kept disturbing the paint). This is Fabriano paper, so that's why :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2013/31994-boat_scene_wcs.jpg
Work with the bead of water avoiding as much friction as you can with the brush against the paper.

VanPaint
12-21-2013, 10:16 AM
A beginner's attempt at session 1. Oils on 11 x 14 linen board.

I like the background, but struggled in the foreground. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you Jo!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2013/983977-grand_canyon_002.JPG

Tod Van Wieren

Johannes Instructor
12-22-2013, 11:01 PM
A beginner's attempt at session 1. Oils on 11 x 14 linen board.

I like the background, but struggled in the foreground. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you Jo!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2013/983977-grand_canyon_002.JPG

Tod Van Wieren
I think you are too hard on yourself. Maybe you can bring some bushes a bit more forward so you don't have that wavy line at the bottom. Also the line on the left is drooping downward is not a favorable approach. The line is quite straight.

Johannes Instructor
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
You all should see this.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/23/winning-bid-tops-100g-for-george-zimmerman-flag-art/?intcmp=latestnews

Vickyrose
12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Checked out Zimmerman's painting. I am getting a very disturbing message from this. -----Shoot a teenager, become a successful artist!

VanPaint
12-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you for your comments Johannes. I have worked on the foreground bushes and like it much better - a better eye path. Thank you for your teaching. I just received the "Painting Water" and "Painting Waterfalls" DVDs for Christmas! Lots to learn, looking forward to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2013/983977-047.JPG

Borntobeanartist
12-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Thank you Jon for having these classes. Watercolor is so hard to keep undercontrol! I wondering how I can change the brown on the right side? Do you have any advise?

Johannes Instructor
12-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you Jon for having these classes. Watercolor is so hard to keep undercontrol! I wondering how I can change the brown on the right side? Do you have any advise?
If you are going to make any changes from here on either you spray the whole area out or use pastels. I would add pastel blue on that brown area to cool it.

Borntobeanartist
12-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Thank you! I will try the pastels. Can't wait till your next class!

Sheri Hammond
12-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Joe can't wait untill Saturday. I wanted to let you know that I have ellements 11 and wiuld love it if you gave a tutorial in how to use it for planning paintings.:wave:

Borntobeanartist
01-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Toning down the brown really improved it! Thanks for all your classes and support.

Johannes Instructor
01-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Toning down the brown really improved it! Thanks for all your classes and support.
If you used pastel I cannot tell.

LadyMadonna
01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Not being familiar with watercolour I had a difficult time with this one and may try again one day in oils. Happy New Year everyone !

Sienna black
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
You all should see this.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/23/winning-bid-tops-100g-for-george-zimmerman-flag-art/?intcmp=latestnews

It us very upsetting to me that Zimmerman is cashing us on his notoriety. Wow, I would only dream to have a painting of mine go for $1000 000! You know that expression "who do I have to kill to get ahead"? Not funny in this case.

Borntobeanartist
01-02-2014, 09:54 AM
If you used pastel I cannot tell.

I used the pan pastels to tone down the brown,which really improved it.

KatyaFox
01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Finally posting the Grand Canyon work. I used pastel to improve gray scale. Thanks to Jo for a great workshop in which I learned much. This is so humbling! Comments welcome.

KatyaFox
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Very very nice

KatyaFox
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Finally posting what I call, Waiting for Spring. Quite the challenge for me and reworked until I destroyed some of the snow! C'est la vie! Did I learn anything? Oh, yes! Thanks Jo!

Borntobeanartist
01-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Jon what is the undercoating you used on your oils? The undercoating white?

mickisew
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Jon what is the undercoating you used on your oils? The undercoating white?
Are you referring to "under-painting" white? Johannes used under-painting white which dries faster at the beginning of the painting instead of Titanium White. Under-painting white was used in the mountain mixes to "dry" faster and make it easier to apply the snow. You will note when you view the video the point at which Johannes changes to Titanium White.

Hope this info helps.

Micki

I don't know where you are located, but as an additional note, Underpainting White can be found under Grumbacher and Winsor & Newton oil paints.

Borntobeanartist
01-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Yes that is what I was looking for! Thank you!!

nancysue10
01-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Have any of you received information yet regarding Jo's class that is to start Jan.17? I don't want to miss it and time is running out to pay and register. Thanks,
Nancy:clap:

Tonalist
01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey Nancy.. I recieved an email this morning saying it's not going
to happen Saturday. The new date is tentatively Jan. 25 and then maybe
Feb.4 if it doesn't happen on the 25th.

woody

nancysue10
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks Woody!

Darn !!!! So disappointed! Kind of live for his classes....
Nancy

Tonalist
01-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks Woody!

Darn !!!! So disappointed! Kind of live for his classes....
Nancy

Yea.. I kind of go through withdrawals myself..

woody

mickisew
01-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Registration open for Paint Along 9 http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

sapphirelynn
01-20-2014, 07:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2014/122205-1-P1030514.JPG
I finally had a chance to upload this painting I did. As luck would have it I had a frame I found at the swap meet that almost fit. It cut off a little of the sky but the price was right...lol
Had trouble with the greenery but overall I think I am starting to get what Jo is teaching. Critiques are welcome and appreciated...

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2014/122205-1-P1030514.JPG
I finally had a chance to upload this painting I did. As luck would have it I had a frame I found at the swap meet that almost fit. It cut off a little of the sky but the price was right...lol
Had trouble with the greenery but overall I think I am starting to get what Jo is teaching. Critiques are welcome and appreciated...
If you cannot harmonize a color gray it with the complement until it doesn't seem to stand out so much.

sapphirelynn
01-22-2014, 12:38 AM
I will try and tone it down, thank you so much. Looking forward to Sat.

nancysue10
02-26-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2014/213155-1237084_585548201505372_976623202_n.jpg

Hi Jo,
My daughter-in-law asked me to paint this photograph for her. Since I used to slavishly copy every detail I thought I would ask you if you could suggest changes I should make to make this more interesting? Also since I do paint in Oils and Pan Pastels which medium do you think would be best to use? Thank you for your assistance. By the way the last painting you did in class where you turned on the lights was the most amazing painting I have seen you do. I am going to try to get up enough courage to try that. It is just beautiful! See you Sat.
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
02-26-2014, 09:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2014/213155-1237084_585548201505372_976623202_n.jpg

Hi Jo,
My daughter-in-law asked me to paint this photograph for her. Since I used to slavishly copy every detail I thought I would ask you if you could suggest changes I should make to make this more interesting? Also since I do paint in Oils and Pan Pastels which medium do you think would be best to use? Thank you for your assistance. By the way the last painting you did in class where you turned on the lights was the most amazing painting I have seen you do. I am going to try to get up enough courage to try that. It is just beautiful! See you Sat.
Nancy
Right off the bat I would tone down that purple door. The color is quite saturated.

nancysue10
02-27-2014, 01:46 PM
It is a bit garish, I agree. Thank you.

nancysue10
03-02-2014, 06:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2014/213155-IMG_2683small.jpg

Jo, I have tried to make the door color more pleasant. I have added a lot of yellow to the top of green flowers, and blue green to center. Have tried to avoid polka dots on flowers. I don't know what color of green to use for the rose leaves. Also as you can see in the original photo the roses and the wall seem to be the same color. Not sure if that is good or should I change it so there is more contrast. I would really appreciate your suggestions as I would like to be able to give this as a gift. Thank you!
Nancy

nancysue10
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2014/213155-IMG_2700.jpg

Hi Jo,
Wondering if you have a minute to give me some feedback on this. Thank you.
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2014/213155-IMG_2700.jpg

Hi Jo,
Wondering if you have a minute to give me some feedback on this. Thank you.
Nancy
The flowers help offset the rectangle of the door. You can seize the opportunity to create a gradient plane. It would be darker right under the eaves because it would act like an umbrella blocking skylight. Adding the crevices was a good call to make it look old.

nancysue10
03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you Jo. I really appreciate your opinion and time!! I'm trying to make the leaves and flower have three dimension like you teach, but not sure I'm doing it. I've darkened the sides and tried to vary the colors. An artist I'll never be, but I have improved so greatly since I've been taking your classes. Thank you!!
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you Jo. I really appreciate your opinion and time!! I'm trying to make the leaves and flower have three dimension like you teach, but not sure I'm doing it. I've darkened the sides and tried to vary the colors. An artist I'll never be, but I have improved so greatly since I've been taking your classes. Thank you!!
Nancy
What do you mean, "An artists you'll never be". You already are!