PDA

View Full Version : What kind of techniques is this ?

Karhunen
11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Hello,

I stumbled upon this argentian illustrator, Jorge Gonzalez who use pastels,
and I love his work, but I can't determine which pastels he uses.

Is it soft pastel or oil pastel ?

Thank you very much,
best regards,

kARhunen

Dcam
11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
It may be impossible to tell unless you did some research on the artist.
Since it is so linear, I might say pastel pencils mostly.
Really wonderful and creative style though.

derek

Karhunen
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I did some research and all I know is that he uses "pastel and pencil".
Knowing that pencil, being oily, is (normally) only compatible with oil pastel, we might think it's oil pastel ?
But his style is original, he could use pencil and soft pastel together.

Dcam
11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Check out the lines in the city scene.....you ain't gonna get that in oil pastel,
right? Anything is possible though.

DAK723
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm just guessing, but the pastel is probably soft pastel. It's possible to apply soft pastel almost like a "wash" with a brush and water (or other liquids) - or apply it dry and blended out very thinly. Then the line work can be done in pencil over the top of that. I don't know it you could do that with oil pastels.

That's just my guess.

Don

Studio-1-F
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Really interesting style and vision. Thanks for posting!

As to what media he favors, why not email him and ask him yourself? -----> http://www.jorgeilustra.com/contact.php

I'm sure he'd be happy to answer.

Jan

Cieljaune
11-05-2013, 01:20 AM
One interesting way illustrators combine pastel and a drawing medium -- ink or waxy pencil -- is to put the line work on the front of frosted Mylar and the color pastels (softs) on the back of the Mylar sheet. That was my first impression of how the artist did the illustration of the character in the library.

Ciel

Christinal
11-05-2013, 02:46 AM
I adore that cityscape. Wow that's gorgeous.

robertsloan2
11-05-2013, 04:56 AM
My first thought on seeing them all was Conte. Mostly the classic Conte. Would be dry pastel then. I use oil pastels all the time and the blending looks like dry blending to me in the softened areas - also like he did those soft blended areas by getting fingers or smudger dirty rather than directly using the sticks, then went over it with the linear marks.

Beautiful works and a thoroughly dramatic style!

If I tried anything remotely like it in oil pastels I'd have to use a wash to get the loose effects and getting those soft gradations at the edges would be almost impossible. There'd be tidemarks where the shading stops, not that smooth dry pastel blend-out.