PDA

View Full Version : Using polyester film for moisture barrier

Dedrian
11-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi all!

I am trying to research polyester film - used as a moisture barrier in framing. I am wondering if one product is better than another and what experience you can share using this film and where you are purchasing it? I'm sure it is available online but am a bit overwhelmed by the choices. I want a good product but don't want to add to the already mounting cost of framing.

Thanks much!!

Dede

DAK723
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
In all honesty, I have never heard of using a moisture barrier when framing. Not saying it might not be a good idea - and perhaps it's more common than I think. Will be interested in comments from others.

Don

Colorix
11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Dede, I take it you mean as a backing? First, I've not tried it, but I've read an article by Henri Roché where he advocated that the backing paper should be sealed with shellac or something similar, to prevent moisture creeping in.

If you tape the whole package so that the tape goes over the glass (a few fractions of inches, and the tape can be cut after it is applied, and sections removed as you don't want it to peek out under the rabbet, or the lip) and the film, you'd get a fairly moisture proof "sandwhich".

What I wonder is if you really need to do it, as other pastel artists from the Northwest have not spoken about such a need. I hope they chime in.

Dedrian
11-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Thank you Don and Charlie for you input! Interesting that I did not get much response. I see that websites on conservation framing recommend using a polyester film but I am feeling that this may be a bit overkill for me. I think after I have sandwiched the art/glazing/backing and taped - this should be sufficient to preserve the painting for many years to come.

I would be interested in responses from anyone who has experience with this method though.

Thanks again!

Dede