PDA

View Full Version : Caran D'Ache "Cube" pastels

Studio-1-F
11-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Dakota is selling these individually ($3.25 each). If there is anyone out there who has tried them, please tell me how they compare to Faber-Castell Polychromos sticks.

Because of their shape, I am making the (possibly) rash assumption that they are hard pastels and comparable to the Polychromos.

Harder? Softer?
More pigment load? Less filler?
Coverage? Water solubility? (Alcohol solubility?)
Color selection?

On the other hand, maybe the Cube is a soft pastel. Possibly a square version of the Caran d'Ache pastel pencils. And meant to be in the family of soft sticks.

I dunno!

Anyway, please share whatever else you think or have discovered about the Cube's performance.

I thank you in advance!

Jan

getdusty
11-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I've looked at them, too. Thanks for starting this thread; I'm really interested in reading the responses.

Studio-1-F
11-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Me too, Peg. The color chart is here. The lights look particularly useful.
http://www.pastels.carandache.com/pdf/nuancier_pastels_pencils_cubes_carandache.pdf

Jan

Dougwas
11-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Jan

If I remember correctly, Paula Ford mentioned she liked the Caran d'Ache cubes. That was the only time I have heard of anybody using them. I know she doesn't hang around here much now, so maybe contact her through her blog. Hope this helps.

Doug

Sarah Rose
11-02-2013, 10:56 PM
I have some and they are harder than NuPastels.

Colorix
11-03-2013, 04:51 AM
There's a whole article abut them in the new PJ. They're hard soft/dry pastels.

Mettaphorica
11-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I have some too and agree with Sarah Rose. They are harder than Nu-pastel, probably about the same as FC's. They're okay, but very expensive comparatively speaking, but then CD products generally are. If you are happy with Nupastel or FCs, I wouldn't bother, unless they have colours you particularly like.
cheers
Donna

Studio-1-F
11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks, everyone for your info. It's a help.

The review in PJ is written by Michael Chesley Johnson and he says that the Cubes are a little softer than the Nupastels and similar in softness to Polychromos.

Jan

Mettaphorica
11-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Jan
Although he might feel that way, I personally find they are a bit harder, but YMMV. For me, they don't go on as well for fine lines and I have used them combined with Nupastels for 2 or 3 paintings recently, and each time I wound up resorting back to the Nupastels. Best thing to do I guess would be to buy just one or two from Dick Blick or other and try them for yourself.
cheers
Donna

Dedrian
11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I have to say, I have not tried the "Cube" pastels but really like the Caran D'Ache pastel pencils. They seem softer to me than the CarbOthello's but not as soft as the Conte's. Based on my experience with the Caran D'Ache pencils, I have been curious to try the "cubes".

Dede

Sarah Rose
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I must have all the hard colors then, because they are harder than NuPastels, harder than the hardest NuPastels I have anyway. They seem to be good on sanded papers like UArt, but I worry about them denting Pastelmat and the Colourfix Suede I use. Probably not an issue if you use the sides though.