PDA

View Full Version : It ain't that easy

carelessbear
10-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I got the White night watercolors yesterday, and i decided to paint this photo which i took last January at Malaga.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2013/1416763-30.12_118.JPG

So i had clear in my mind that i just need different shades on pink and dash of browns and reds.

But it ain't that easy, when the mixing was quite difficult and i was too impatient about too many thingns, so lost my nerve and started using blues and browns as well....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2013/1416763-WP_20131030_0041.jpg

It's a start, but not great one. I think I will do this same subject over and over again until satisfied. But next thing is just try to learn more patient and refine color handling. :angel:

Yorky
10-30-2013, 06:57 PM
I think there was scope here for a pink and blue motherwash echoing the colours in the photograph then masking off the sunlit areas and applying a further wash for the shadow areas.

Doug

pjartwc
10-31-2013, 04:26 AM
It looks like you lost your pinks. Color and value are very difficult. Really look at your reference and try to match the colors on scrap paper first.

painterbear
10-31-2013, 05:38 AM
What a beautiful reference photo you took. I can see why you want to paint it.

I like Doug's idea of doing a motherwash of pinks and blues and burnt sienna before adding in the detail areas.

I see blue along the corner behind the little tree as well as in the shadow area of the little arch, along with pink and lavender.

Good luck with your next attempt. :D

Sylvia

Aderynglas
10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
The most difficult thing about Watercolours is learning to ... S l o w down :)

Because they are so easy to pick up, and it's so easy to get going, compared to oils/acrylics, the temptation is to rush in and not make studies, tests etc.

This isn't helped by the myriad of videos and TV programmes of experts showing how quick and easy it is. What is often forgotten, is that many times, there has been hours or days of preparation before the artist puts brush to paint and much of the waiting and drying time has been cut. Watching other people's paint dry is really boring. And also the artist has been working away for about 100 years to get to the stage of being able to just throw on paint and swish it about and create a wonderful painting - or at least make it look like that :wink2:

You've made a great start :) You identified the colours that were in the photo. Seems to me, you just lost confidence in your colours :)

Remember, you don't have to mix the colours, you could try layering them too for some lovely effects. Just make sure each layer is bone dry before the next :wink2: You could also try wetting the paper and letting the colours mingle on the paper. This takes a lot of patience and nerves of steel to prevent yourself working the colours once they are laid. Otherwise you risk mud :)

Not going to repeat the excellent advice given above :)

Keep going, and keep all your work so you can see how you're doing. You've got some good paints, make sure your paper is good too and you'll soon see the results you are looking for :)

Looking forward to your next painting :)

olliewood0702
10-31-2013, 11:13 AM
You took a beautiful photo reference of this shadowed doorway. I agree that I think you rushed to finish this. I think you used the wrong colors, a more subdued palette is what is needed. Your yellow color isn't true to the photo. Make a value study first, to see where your deeper values are and light areas. This will help you when you are painting. Try it again and this time take your time, Polly has given you some great advice as have the others.