PDA

View Full Version : White Teapot~ WIP

pampe
09-18-2003, 04:14 PM
12 x 16 ARCHES 140 CP

Sketch and masking

first step

Motherwash of Quin gold, New gamboge, Perm rose, FUB and manganese blue (not hue)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2003/4054-whiteteapotwash.jpg

Oh..and the NO FOOD part.....hubby and I started a 7 day detox today....no chox or caffeine....so you may bring herb tea and brown rice only (blech)

*gonna get quiet and empty in here, Pam*

[Note: To preserve the continuity of instruction, this thread has been edited to remove some posts that did not pertain to the technique being demonstrated. The Moderators]

pampe
09-18-2003, 05:40 PM
ok....after the wash dried...I put in my values with a Winsor Violet, viridian, indigo kinda glaze

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2003/4054-whiteteapotvalues.jpg

Merlot
09-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Pam, this is lookin real good but did you pour the motherwash or just brush it on (what does motherwash mean???) Someone made reference to buying cups which implied pouring in my mind? Excuse my lack of familiarity with motherwash - must have missed the thread describing how its done - or my feeble brain just failed to retrieve or store the info. LOL

Oh NO! I'm getting faint - no food for too long --- no chocolate -- Help!!!!:evil: That must be why I can't recall motherwash! Need to eat!!!!!

pampe
09-18-2003, 09:10 PM
alisoun ...there are several threads about motherwashes and underpainting styles.

Merlot....When I do a POUR, I pour the paint.....all the others I start out with a "motherwash"...I explained it and showed some examples in PAINTERBEARS thread about a week ago.....

Jan...I think landscapes are the BEST place to start out with a "motherwash"

thank you all for the kind words....I will try to tell you each step, but sometimes....I get "lost" in the painting...and forget to take a photo.....y'know?

ok....

so then I started adding my local colors......greener over the yellow BG to hint of trees

Quin Sienna over the wood posts
(I missed a picture of shading the darks on there with the purple mix)

And I started adding color to the little glass paperweight next to the teapot....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2003/4054-whiteteapot1.jpg

pampe
09-19-2003, 02:03 PM
whew.....where to start

Ok...I took off some of the masking....becauase I was dying to see what the spots would look like....

Added some locoal color to the right side of the scarf and some more to the paperweight

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2003/4054-whiteteapot2.jpg

pampe
09-23-2003, 03:36 PM
ok..the STILL LIFE forum folks thought it needed to be cropped....

so here's the final:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2003/4054-teapot.jpg

comments welcomed

*and you can bring chox now.....;) *

here is the full sheet:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2003/4054-teapotwhole.jpg

Maryj Hicks
09-23-2003, 03:55 PM
NO CROP, NO CROP......it's toooo beautiful to crop any of it:eek:

( and that's my opinion)
Mary

Olga
09-23-2003, 03:58 PM
I suppose I should not disagree with the composition advice of the still life forum, but I personally like the uncropped version better. There was just more air and light in the painting. This crop makes it feel too tight and centered to me. Just a personal preference--and that teapot is still very nice :)

Olga

mustcreate
09-23-2003, 04:03 PM
I am absolutely loving all those colours in that teapot!!!! such wonderful form there pam...most excellent!!

I am in favor of leaving it and not cropping, but I imagine it's a matter of preference :)

em

btw now that chocolate is back on topic:rolleyes: :p I should tell you something. thanks to YOU.....clayton and I are now chocoholics:eek: I NEVER and I mean NEVER used to eat dark chocolate and ever since eating it at your house I NEED to have my Bernard Callebaut chocolate every day. :rolleyes: ;) :)

madmum
09-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Pam, read my lips.......

DO NOT CROP!

I love the off centre composition, crop it and it'll be too cramped. I never, ever find your composition skills to be in need of advice :)

Can I have some chox now?? :D

Ruth

maryrose
09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Totally personal preference....I like the crop. Puts the teapot right IN YUR FACE....You've done a stunning job on the white china and the cloth. I'm a sucker for a square format, I guess:rolleyes: Wonderful teaching WIP...mary

madmum
09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
I meant to say that a crop would mean losing those lovely fabric folds on the right. Not worth it IMHO :)

Ruth

leverettfinn
09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi...beautiful...I like the crop..but maybe not quite so much....

Lauren (crop queen)

vestalqueen
09-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Pam, it's beautiful. I'm in the no-crop-it-crowds-the-teapot-and-cuts-out-the-lovely-fabric corner. I really love the luscious colors you've used in the shadows on the teapot.

Gorgeous.

Erin

edie
09-23-2003, 04:26 PM
How wonderful to see the fininshed painting, it has turned out so well. I just love to see these WIPs and think those of you who take the time and effort to produce them for us to see, are an inspiration, brave too!
Edie

painterbear
09-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Put my vote in the "no crop" column. Disagree with the Still Life people.

The crop makes a painting of a beautiful teapot, but the full picture tells a story of two friends sitting out on your deck enjoying the view of the mountains and the CLEAR BLUE SKY (no smoke) each with a cup of Lapsang Souchong tea in their hands as they chat.

All that ambience of the outdoors, a sunny day, etc., etc., seems lost in the crop without the scarf and railings and greenery beyond that you have in the full scene.

vestalqueen
09-23-2003, 04:30 PM
What Painterbear said.

Erin

Crystal Owl
09-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Agree no crop, love the depth /surrounding areas and the teapot is stunning!

Irene

yahooserious
09-23-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm going to just sit back and admire while I slowly savor my chocolate!! Don't have any of the fine Belgian kind, but love the Nestle Treasures with toasted coconut....Can't find decent dark choc. in Taylor, Texas!!!:mad:

I'm kind of in the corner with the do not crop people....

Emilie

pampe
09-23-2003, 05:06 PM
thanks, you all

I went ahead and listed it as is

Here's my rationale:

If I were entering this in a show, I would consider a crop or adding a piece of fruit or something on the right of the pot to balance it

If I crop it...the size will be an "odd" size

Since I sell on EBAY....I think that the easily frame-able size is more important the the artistic compositional concerns

Thanks for your input

P

tigre255
09-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Looked at it on e-bay and you did right.......no crop......lol

Very yummy painting..........not were are those chocs....:rolleyes:

Uschi
09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Both are gorgeous - very well done, no BUT'S:D !!!!!!!!
Uschi

Cathie Jones
09-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Y A W N . . . must have fallen asleep :rolleyes: - weak from lack of chocohate, I guess! Almost missed the end of this one. It's beautiful Mz Pampe! I like it both ways, but would not crop it if it was mine and I had done such a great job on the scarf! :D

Cathie Jones
09-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Wait - I have another question. How would you mat and frame a 12x16 painting - how much mat and what size frame? I finally bought a mat cutter and some off-white mat material, but haven't cut any yet.

laudesan
09-23-2003, 09:11 PM
This is awesome......DON'T CROP..............

Oh I love this soooooooo much.......... :)

JJ

jaytee
09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I prefer to think Jasmine rather than Lapsang :angel: Dont need no more smokey taste around Montana ;)

PS with work of this quality it is IMPOSSSIBLE for you to post too much :)

pampe
09-24-2003, 10:12 AM
thanks, all

JT...I love the smoke comment!;)

Cathie...I think you need to post a matting question outside this thread to get more response

artmom
09-24-2003, 10:45 AM
The cropped painting is a portrait of a teapot. Nice, but boring.
The un-cropped painting (which I prefer) tells a story of sitting on the deck having a cuppa' and contemplating your navel.

Lyn

joannd
09-24-2003, 11:34 AM
What Painterbear and Artmom said. it's gorgeous!!! I too almost missed the finish. Thanks to whoever brought this to the front page again.
JoAnn

Gilberte
09-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Missed this thread but not the "grand finale" .......:clap:

Lise
09-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Beautiful work, Pam! One of your very best, I think.

GISELADOVE
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Absolutely stunning,
Pam I just love your teapot and.....
Ilearned so much about washes.
I also like the uncrop version.
You are a great artist:clap: :clap: :clap:

pampe
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
thank you

Lyn....my navel???? LOL

arch
09-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Great work Pam, the cropped image does it for me. I really like those subtle colours in the paper weight.

Ron

ArcticRose
09-24-2003, 09:20 PM
I set this up for "watch this thread" so I could see the finish and enjoy the WIP.. of course it's wonderful! I loved your last teapot pic very much too. Hope there are more teapots to come..:)

CharM
09-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Hiya Pamps... if it's not too late to "vote", I'd like to add my voice to the uncropped version... Absolutely beautiful finish!

pampe
09-24-2003, 10:09 PM
thanks, girls

don't know about more teapots, Anita...but I have 3 FIESTAWARE commissions to work on.....

ArcticRose
09-24-2003, 10:33 PM
That would be too bad..I was hoping to one day own a pampe teapot pic...:crying: It's o.k. I'm patient...I can wait years...;) :D

pampe
09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
;)

there's always hope....:cool:

Clamarel Munro
03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Just saw this one, Pam. Better late than never! What a beauty,:clap::clap::clap:!
I agree not to crop. The process you showed is really helpful...will now try to do a wash, using both methods. Once again, beautiful painting:thumbsup:. -Elaine

Freesia
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Love this Pam :clap: :clap: :clap: - thanks very much for the demo - I'll be bookmarking this one. That teapot is just luscious, love the glowing colors.

I like both the cropped and the uncropped version - maybe something in between the two, but it would probably not be standard size then.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2009/57733-4054-whiteteapot_crop.jpg

Renee

SharonF
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Beautiful painting! Thanks for sharing. PLEASE DO NOT CROP.

Sharon

Artfun
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Beautiful work ...

AmyLC
04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Gorgeous. Don't crop, I like the more open composition......however I think the urge to crop comes because the spout is pointing right off the page. If the pot had been turned to point the other direction, or the emptier space was on the left of this painting, it would feel more "comfortable" in the large format.

Great painting either way!!

MtLookout
04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
You folks do realize that this thread is 8 years old !!!??

webLes
09-24-2011, 03:44 AM
I agree no crop -----2 or 2 2/2 mat

iroquois
09-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Very very nice, James