PDA

View Full Version : Tempera & Gouache !

barbos_radu
10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
What are the major diferences betwen the 2 of them (Excluding Egg Tempera,witch is best,what makes one better than the other and why !
Thank you ! :)

barbos_radu
10-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Oh and 1 thing more ! Why does Gouache & Tempera lighten up when they dry just like watercolors ( Aquarelles ) ?

ianos dan
10-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Salut ,Hello barbos radu! From what l know and read about it ,it's one of the greatest mediums ever used.Even Egyptians,and Romans used it .
l am studying now egg tempera ,and tempera grassa (egg and oil emulsion) ,to find some recipe hat was used as underpainting in Renaissance .
I think it's because of the nature of the medium ,if you use water ,on paper ,the water evaporates ,and gives that mat effect.but ,if you study some of Leonardo's drapery studies,that where made in gouache ,you will see that the color looks very very fresh ,that's because he probably used more arabic gum in the colors ,he himself had prepared .
Good luck !
oh,almost forgot,you can use toned paper ,to see how it works :)

barbos_radu
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Salut ,Hello barbos radu! From what l know and read about it ,it's one of the greatest mediums ever used.Even Egyptians,and Romans used it .
l am studying now egg tempera ,and tempera grassa (egg and oil emulsion) ,to find some recipe hat was used as underpainting in Renaissance .
I think it's because of the nature of the medium ,if you use water ,on paper ,the water evaporates ,and gives that mat effect.but ,if you study some of Leonardo's drapery studies,that where made in gouache ,you will see that the color looks very very fresh ,that's because he probably used more arabic gum in the colors ,he himself had prepared .
Good luck !
oh,almost forgot,you can use toned paper ,to see how it works :)
Ceau Dan,ma bucur sa vad unul de ai mei ! :cat: I mean on whaterver i paint,canvas,wood etc,both tempera and gouache lighten up when dryng...is there something tio do about tempera and gouache remaing the same on canvas and wood after dryng just like theyr wet ? Merci !

barbos_radu
10-31-2013, 03:23 AM
toned paperWhat is TONED PAPER ? :)

ianos dan
10-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Hartie colorata :) ,toned paper,but it's better to use Gouache than egg Tempera ,because egg tempera sticks better on wooden panel ,Masonite,etc.
I work in egg tempera for an experiment ,an it looks like oil ,How many layers did you used ?
if the painting ,or whatever you work on is dried,you can try varnish it ,it will look like an oil painting:).

barbos_radu
10-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Hartie colorata :) ,toned paper,but it's better to use Gouache than egg Tempera ,because egg tempera sticks better on wooden panel ,Masonite,etc.
I work in egg tempera for an experiment ,an it looks like oil ,How many layers did you used ?
if the painting ,or whatever you work on is dried,you can try varnish it ,it will look like an oil painting:). Multumesc Dan ! :) It depends in what concerns the layers of each painting,i will try varnish.....oh another thing can whe make our own varnish at home ? If yes what do wee need cause i guess is more cheaper buing some ingredients in higher quantities and make you own varnis wen you need it ! Ceau Dan , o zi faina ! :wave:

ianos dan
11-01-2013, 03:34 PM
You can go to the technical forum ,there are lots of recipes for varnish :)

barbos_radu
11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Where is it , cant seem to find him ?

barbos_radu
11-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Beeing new to watercolors (Aquarelle) tube colors i have a few questions :

1 - Can i mix tube watercolors (Aquarelle) with Tempera and Gouache ?
2 - Can watercolors (Aquarelle) be used straight from the tube wythout dilution or with just a litlte diluten ?
3 - Can i paint with watercolors (Aquarelle) on ready prepared canvas or wood ?

Thank you ?:wave:

barbos_radu
11-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Beeing new to watercolors (Aquarelle) tube colors i have a few questions :

1 - Can i mix tube watercolors (Aquarelle) with Tempera and Gouache ?
2 - Can watercolors (Aquarelle) be used straight from the tube wythout dilution or with just a litlte diluten ?
3 - Can i paint with watercolors (Aquarelle) on ready prepared canvas or wood ?

Thank you ?:wave:

Does no one has an answer ? ! :(

Trond
11-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Artists materials manufacturers are sadly not very consistent when it comes to technical terms, so we have no way of knowing what you mean by 'tempera'. It's an often misused term. Usually it means egg tempera, but if the word 'egg' is not on the tube, then it often means cheap and inferior gouache. I know that it makes no sense.

High quality gouache, when dry, actually resembles the color of the pure dry pigment (a bit like pastel). The water evaporates, and there is no oily layer around the particles, so it lightens up (notice that your hair also changes in hue when wet). Gouache and watercolor are very similar chemically, but the gouache is made to be more opaque, while the watercolor sinks into the paper and is more transparent.

Your questions: You can mix watercolor and gouache with no problems. I would not use watercolors thickly (it is not made for that). Not sure about using watercolors on wood.

theoilpainter57
12-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Does no one has an answer ? ! :(
Answers to questions:
1. Yes by all means you can mix watercolor with opaque [waterbased] tempera and gouache. They all work together well. I fact gouache is basically watercolor plus chalk; chalk makes gouache opaque. I mix all 3 for my paintings
2. Watercolor can be used thickly but it is not recommended. It would probably be too expensive. The strength of watercolor is its spontaneous transparency. For opaque layers is best to use gouache.
3.Yes, there are watercolor canvas and panel options sold in art stores. As an alternative to standard watercolor paper have tried coating watercolor paper with gesso to paint with Dick Blick's Premium tempera with very good results. Please see artharmonics.blogspot in the December 12, 2013 entry.

Cmoons
01-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Paul Bonner is a well know artist for opaque watercolor paintings.
He mixes them with gouache for the lighter colors.

Artist_by_Accident
01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
As mentioned above, yes, you can mix watercolors and gouache and probably tempera but I'm not sure you'd want to for a serious work for the reason discussed below:

I have an internet friend who paints with plain old tempera and she does gorgeous work. I looked at the Dick Blick Premium tempera mentioned by theoilpainter57 and was surprised to see that it's considered lightfast. However, no pigment information was given and it seems to be marketed to teachers and children.

Could this be considered worthy of an artist's time and effort to use to paint with? I know gouache was not considered a true artist's paint until fairly recently.

ABA

Cmoons
01-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Syd Mead, Erik Tiemens, James Gurney (for studies),...

Also the matte quality has some advantages for reproduction and in studio as a background.

I like it for studies, and quick concepts but i still prefer oil painting for final & big paintings.