PDA

View Full Version : Ink Reproduction

trevorjim
09-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

I am very familiar with print making with regards to acrylics, oils etc.

I am at a loss however on making a print of a ink drawing.

My plan is to do a relatively simple inkdrawing on paper approx 20x24 of a row of houses. clapboard, window detail etc.
afterwhich I want to reproduce approx 50 to do a small series colored afterwards with prismacolor pencils.

what is the best way to go about doing such a reproduction?

digital scan? photo negative? etc.

also which paper would be best to do the print? I am thinking of the paper needed that would take prismacolor best but not be to outragously expensive.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor

sassybird
09-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Solar plates using a negative are excellent for transfering a drawing to a printmaking medium. You can get plates in almost any size. That is how I would do it for a piece that big. Another process would be to take a piece of wax paper and place it under a photo copy of the image, never use the original, and use a pencil to go over your line work onto a copper plate. That way you can make a mirror image on a copier that will let you image come out as the original instead of backwards. You can then either use drypoint to go over the wax lines on the plate, or use an indelible marker to make the lines, cover with hard ground, and use an etchers needle to mark your lines for etching. A lot of work, eh? I have used both processes, but I think the solar plates will give you what you want with less fuss.

As for paper I would suggest Stonehenge, which will take any medium as well as making good prints. Or, Fabriano Umbria, Fabrinano Tiepolo, Rives BFK heavyweight to allow you to use colored pencil with ease as they have enough tooth to allow layering.

I am sure others will have suggestions also. These are papers that I have worked with for years, and found to be very versatile.

pinkbubelz
10-12-2003, 01:21 PM
If you wanted to do something of a smaller size, I'd suggest using the Print gocco machine (see my thread titled "print gocco")
to do a screen print of your line drawing and then to do your coloring afterwards.

And, actually you can get the screen in a roll form to form larger than a 7 x 9 image as well. (see the nehoc site for more info on that)

However, yours is a sizable piece, so that's probably not reallly feasable.

Good luck! :-)