PDA

View Full Version : OT - What about things you just can't buy anymore?

fikefire
09-18-2003, 02:17 PM
As an aside to the "products you love" thread:
Things that you've had once or twice, or things that went off the market that you adored?

I had these mints while on vacation in France many years ago. The brand was Volvic. They were amazing. I'd love a little roll of those things. Volvic water is available around here, but I haven't seen the mints. Think of them often...

Must have a little time on my hands, eh?:rolleyes:

DonnaBee
09-18-2003, 02:56 PM
A decent toaster.

What is it with toasters that don't work these days? When I was a kid we had the same toaster for years! I am sure it did not cost much.

Please someone tell me what is a good brand of toaster these days. (I do need it to hold four slices and bagels.)

Fire Imp
09-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Yankee candle just discontinued their "fireside" candle. I've been in a frenzy buying up any that I can still find because no other candle compares!

glitterbead
09-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Fire Imp
Yankee candle just discontinued their "fireside" candle. I've been in a frenzy buying up any that I can still find because no other candle compares!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE that one!!!

Lee

candygrrl
09-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Toasted Hazelnut from Bath and Body Works. I loved that stuff *sniff* I still look on ebay for it...

toozygoot
09-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Donna - I love my Kitchenaid toaster! You could check Consumers Reports.

I would love to be able to get a Jerry Rafferty tape. I lost mine. But that's not what we are talking about.

Lantieri's Pizza in Hartford CT! It was Sicilian style sheet pan pizza. You could get it one way - with cheese. But it was the best pizza I have ever ate anywhere ever. And my DH and kids agree. Big building went up, they went out of business after the property was bought up. :(

pat

GardensOnGlass
09-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Bath & Body Works - the original Freesia, and then Lemongrass & Sage. Why, oh why do they discontinue the good ones & keep all the sicky sweet ones?

And, does anyone remember this from childhood (my husband says I'm nuts, but I remember clear as a bell), Shaka' Shaka' Pudding? I think that was the title. It was an instant pudding that had a special container that you put it in and you added the milk and did a little dance with it until it thickened. There were TV commercials and everything. My dad used to do a dance and sing when he made it for my brother and me.

fikefire
09-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DonnaBee
A decent toaster.

What is it with toasters that don't work these days? When I was a kid we had the same toaster for years! I am sure it did not cost much.

Please someone tell me what is a good brand of toaster these days. (I do need it to hold four slices and bagels.)

No kidding! The thing I have just plain old doesn't toast. It makes the bread warm....but that's it.

My mom still uses the Westinghouse toaster she and my Pop received as a wedding gift in 1958 - and wouldn't you know - it works great?!

DonnaBee
09-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Shaka' Shaka' Pudding?

I remember this!!! I wouldn't have until you said though! I loved that stuff!

GardensOnGlass
09-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Me too! My husband thinks I'm nuts. He's only a year older than me. I think he was pudding deprived. He doesn't like hot pudding either. Sick, sick man!

A.J. Shulke
09-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I miss the old recipe of Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Loved that stuff, used to take a baggie of it dry and munch on it for snack at work. Looked like cat chow but tasted like little oatmeal cookies.

Then they "improved" the recipe and GAG, URKKKK, UGH!!!

Too much cinnamon!

Why can't they just leave perfection alone?

~A J

NeofossiL
09-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Space Food Sticks --- especially the peanut butter flavor. Talk about comfort food from childhood! If any of THOSE are on eBay, I bet they're still preserved well enough to consume!!! :p

Lorinda :cat:

Ellen Altamore
09-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Crabtree and Evelyn used to make a citrus glycerin soap that I loved, loved, loved. No more. POOP!!!!!!!

glitterbead
09-18-2003, 04:52 PM
I really miss my MAC lipstick in Shrimpton - the PERFECT pink!!!

Lee

enchantedjewels
09-18-2003, 04:55 PM
A decent toaster.

Oh, God yes!!! It seems like I am buying a new toaster every 6 months. The "new" one I bought about 6-8 months ago is now either burning the bread or not toasting it. It is enough to make you pull your hair out.

I love Pillsbury Grand Blueberry biscuits and haven't been able to find them anywhere for about 2 months. Also, they used to make the Goldfish crackers in a ranch flavor and I really miss those.

DeberLee
09-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Styx Perfume by Revlon. I bought it in the mid-70's, and eked it out when I realized I could not replace it. Made me feel good to wear it.

And Sir Bars, kinda like a chocolate covered Big Hunk without the peanuts.

Lynn Larson
09-18-2003, 05:28 PM
I agree about the Bath and Body Works, Toasted Hazelnut and Garden Mint. I still have a couple bottles of the Silk Spray, but I don't want to use them because then I will be out!

I also miss Breck shampoo. I hear adds on the radio for it, but I guess my teeny town isn't on the list of places to get it. It smelled sooooo good.

rlisfolks
09-18-2003, 05:35 PM
I miss the chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. I used to get them from Entenmanns in the grocery stores, but they went away. Then years later, I think Pillsbury made a refrigerated cookie dough of it, then *that* went away, too.

Every recipe I try just is awful, LOL. The only cookies I can make well seem to be sugar cookies.

Dawn

*Naos*
09-18-2003, 05:49 PM
1) B&BW original formula aromatherapy Stress Relief lotion - they changed it and it's just not the same... :(

2) BodyShop had an antibacterial footspray - I bought out the last of the stock in my store when I found out it was discontinued...I still have some but am running low - use it for those hot summer days when you get sticky feet in sandals...blech...

3) Origins had this clove-based spot remover for acne that was awesome but I can't find it anymore. :(

Am

Nonie
09-18-2003, 05:49 PM
I miss my old Yardley products. They used to have the yummiest stuff.
Oh and Brownie Bars..mmm mmm good.
They were chocolate covered sherbert on a stick.
And Frappe Bars. Candy Bar

Jennifer Geldard
09-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by NeofossiL
Space Food Sticks --- especially the peanut butter flavor. Talk about comfort food from childhood! If any of THOSE are on eBay, I bet they're still preserved well enough to consume!!! :p

Lorinda!! They still make those! I promise.
I did a search a while back.. I used to love those...
Unfortunately, it's just the chocolate ones.
Here:

http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/spacfoodstic.html

robinj
09-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Bosco and White Cheddar Wheatables.

But most of all: Jello Pudding Pops!!!

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 07:14 PM
A decent toaster.

Not sure what toaster to recommend, but I do have a vintage toaster I can send you! BWAHAHAHA!!!

(Unfortunately it doesn't hold 4 slices or bagels)

Vikki

SonyaHusko
09-18-2003, 07:17 PM
Beechies Pepsin flavored gum.

Fruit Floats. I remember the commerciall, "If it's Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label lable lable, you will like it like it like it on your table table table" And try to say fruit float three times fast. It was this weird fruit concoction that you shook up and drank out of the can. I LOVED it!

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Oh heck, I just lost my whole post!

I miss things that you can probably still get, but just can't get here!

Ambrosia cream rice
Walnut whips
Heinz salad cream
Floral gums
Smiths crisps - bacon flavor
Rowntrees fruit gums
Chip butties
Yorkshire pudding (OK, I could make that if I wasn't lazy)
Roses lime marmalade
McVities chocolate digestives
Cockles & mussels
Picallili
Ready Brek

most of all, I miss my dad's fish and chips. My dad had a fish and chip shop in Norwich (of course they were traditional English fish and chips! It was in England! LOL!)

Oh, there's so much more, but it's making me hungry just thinking about it!

Vikki

DrPam
09-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by snootyvixen

I LOVE these, and you can get them here... Some gourmet food stores carry them, and you can also get them online (e.g. here (http://store.yahoo.com/englishteastore/british-store-cookies.html)). Yummm addictive!

I miss Gardenburger's savory mushroom veggie burger. They redesigned their whole line, and the "burgers" are much meatier tasting now. I miss the old veggie-tasting ones.

And if anyone knows how to get the double matured Distiller's Edition scotches in this country, I'd give my right baby toe (or lots of beads and supplies, whichever you prefer) to someone who could get me the double matured Dalwhinnie and Oban. I'm on my last centimeter of Dalwhinnie and I've been saving it for a rainy day... t's plentiful everywhere else, but for some reason, not available in the U.S. Anyone from Canada or Europe wanna figure out some kind of swap??? Pleeeeeaaase?

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DrPam
[B]

I LOVE these, and you can get them here... Some gourmet food stores carry them, and you can also get them online (e.g. here (http://store.yahoo.com/englishteastore/british-store-cookies.html)). Yummm addictive!

Oh WOW!!! Now I have to work out of that little indulgence is worth breaking the diet for ....

didn't take long to figure out - OF COURSE IT IS!!!

...... and they have Bisto, and salad cream, and Weetabix, and MUSHY PEAS!! And Branston pickle, and .............

xoticbead
09-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Does anyone remember MAXI perfume, I sure loved the stuff, but they took it off the market. I'm a sucker for perfume and especially the heavy woodsy scents, Oh welllllll,
Liz

glitterbead
09-18-2003, 09:28 PM

Ambrosia cream rice
Walnut whips
Heinz salad cream
Floral gums
Smiths crisps - bacon flavor
Rowntrees fruit gums
Chip butties
Yorkshire pudding (OK, I could make that if I wasn't lazy)
Roses lime marmalade
Cockles & mussels
Picallili
Ready Brek

most of all, I miss my dad's fish and chips. My dad had a fish and chip shop in Norwich (of course they were traditional English fish and chips! It was in England! LOL!)

Oh, there's so much more, but it's making me hungry just thinking about it!

Vikki

Vikki - I LOVE walnut whips and aeros, but my faves are FLAKES!!!

Cadbury is WAY better in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Remember that rumour that went around in the sixties - that Mick Jagger did Maryanne Faithful with a Flake! Well, when I finally had a Flake I KNEW that it had to be impossible!!!!!

Lee

candygrrl
09-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Ok, someone please tell me what a Flake is because I am getting seriously wierd visuals with Mick Jagger....

and WTH is salad cream, hmmm??

Although I can't talk much, I adore Japanese snacks. Especially Pocky... mmmmmm... POCKY!!

Tink
09-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Ellen Altamore
Crabtree and Evelyn used to make a citrus glycerin soap that I loved, loved, loved. No more. POOP!!!!!!!

Crabtree and Evelyn Hungary Water.... *swoon*

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by glitterbead

Vikki - I LOVE walnut whips and aeros, but my faves are FLAKES!!!

Cadbury is WAY better in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Remember that rumour that went around in the sixties - that Mick Jagger did Maryanne Faithful with a Flake! Well, when I finally had a Flake I KNEW that it had to be impossible!!!!!

Lee

Ahh .. but Snowflakes are the BOMB!!

Vikki
(who hasn't heard the rumour about Marianne Faithful and the flake???)

glitterbead
09-18-2003, 10:14 PM

Ahh .. but Snowflakes are the BOMB!!

Vikki
(who hasn't heard the rumour about Marianne Faithful and the flake???)

Please don't tell me - Snowflakes are WHITE chocolate?!?

:::::SWOON::::: thud

Lee (who's heart is breaking to go back to the UK)

Queen of Tides
09-18-2003, 10:17 PM
This is easy,
I crave but can't have cherry almond milk. Happy Cow brand and other organic brands, they all discontinued it, and it was to die for!!! Waaaah!!!

And black jack gum. They do still make it, but can't get it here in TC anywhere!:crying:

Aleta
09-18-2003, 10:41 PM
I miss:

Whip~n~Chill
Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff
Teaberry Gum
Parson's All purpose cleaner
Raspberry Patchouli Candles that were sold at Pier 1 Imports Made in Scotland

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by glitterbead

Please don't tell me - Snowflakes are WHITE chocolate?!?

:::::SWOON::::: thud

Lee (who's heart is breaking to go back to the UK)

OK - I won't tell you ..............

LMAO!!! Yup - you got it on one!

vikki

NLC
09-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Candygrrl - If there's a World Market near you, I think they're carrying a variety of Japanese candy, including Pocky.

Aero bars, too... Mmm... Can also be found in Canada, but my father swears the one he got on vacation in Ireland tasted better.

I miss:
Tofutti Peach Melba "ice cream" OMG it was sooo good and I have not seen it for years.

Victoria's Secret Second Skin Satin perfume -ummm, the yellow one? I don't wear perfume much, but I found this one and loved it and took forever to go through a little bottle and went to get more and WHADDYA MEAN IT'S BEEN DISCONTINUED!?!? :confused:
NLC

Tink
09-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by DeberLee
Styx Perfume by Revlon. I bought it in the mid-70's, and eked it out when I realized I could not replace it. Made me feel good to wear it.

And Sir Bars, kinda like a chocolate covered Big Hunk without the peanuts.

Ohmy! I totally forgot about this until you mentioned perfume. I desperately loved my "Oh! De London" perfume. What I would give for a bottle... *sigh* :(

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Fun thread!

I miss Breck Shampoo too and Body on Tap shampoo...I loved that smell.

It's getting harder to find Bit 'O Honey candybars for me too. I have to go to the mall candy store (i'm pregnant and have to have them). :)

I also can't find Baby Magic Powder although I found it last year. Hm.

Nonie
09-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Aleta
Here is Teaberry Gum!

http://www.candy2you.com/teaberry.asp

z_loi
09-18-2003, 11:08 PM
I love this thread!

I miss Smints. They only just recently seemed to stop carrying them anywhere. Best mints ever. I'm a smoker (I know, boo hiss) so mints are my BEST friend. When I saw them on clearance at Target, I bought the last dozen they had. Can't find them anywhere anymore, cept for the occasional pack of peach (yuck).

I used to live in Germany back in the 80's near a large British Army community and we used to get these great Ritz cracker sandwiches at the store on the British base. They had this wonderful rich herby cheese spread in between two yummy cheesy Ritz crackers. Nothing like American Ritz. I'll never forget that flavor. Also, Smarties were just the best. Kinda like M&M's but sweeter, and they came in this groovy little tube with a plastic end that snapped in place so you could eat a few and close it back up. Plus, they had red back when M&M's didn't make red ones anymore. And if you licked the red ones, you could paint it onto your lips and the coloring would come off like lipstick. Very important for an 8 year old girl who was not allowed to wear lipstick!

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by candygrrl

and WTH is salad cream, hmmm??

Interesting (english) article on Flake (http://www.ampnet.co.uk/flake.html)

What is a Flake? (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shopenglandonline/cadflakbar12.html)

Now, as for salad cream, hmmmmmm - it's kinda like mayo, but runnier, with a little more tang - salad cream (http://www.saladcream.com/html/home.htm)

Oh, and then there's that sandwich spread with little bits of gherkin in it, what the heck is that called? Memory's failing .....

Vikki

NeofossiL
09-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Maria! Maria! I went to the Sweet Nostalgia site where Jennifer G. said they had Space Food Sticks and they have Black Jack Gum TOO!!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by z_loi
Also, Smarties were just the best. Kinda like M&M's but sweeter, and they came in this groovy little tube with a plastic end that snapped in place so you could eat a few and close it back up. Plus, they had red back when M&M's didn't make red ones anymore. And if you licked the red ones, you could paint it onto your lips and the coloring would come off like lipstick. Very important for an 8 year old girl who was not allowed to wear lipstick!

.... and when you finished them, you popped the top back on, put the tube on the ground and stomped on it to see who's top would go the furthest!!

Vikki

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 11:19 PM
I know I'm being a thread hog ... LOL ... but when I first had Paris, I so badly wanted someone to send me some Farley's rusks!

Vikki

(and I miss Gumption when I'm cleaning my bath, too)

Libby L.
09-18-2003, 11:27 PM
OK NO MORE SINGING THE LIBBYS LIBBYS LIBBYS ON THE LABEL LABEL LABEL SONG.
For crying out loud.. what you want me to go into shock? I thought I had heard the end of that song...butttt nnnoooo you had to bring it up. Fine just fine
The Libster aka Libby..yes thats right Libby.

damn song I will never live that stupid song down.:evil:

M**2
09-18-2003, 11:27 PM
I miss Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar and sold in a 10 oz. can with a bottle cap.

We are also fans of McVities Go Ahead (Sultana and Orange flavour).

For those who like British treats, try BritishDepot (http://www.britdepot.com).

snootyvixen
09-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by M**2

For those who like British treats, try BritishDepot (http://www.britdepot.com).

Oh! Now you've gone and done it!! I spy tooo many things on that site that I want! I totally forgot about Jacobs Iced gems, Twiglets and Wagon Wheels!

Vikki

bluffroadglass
09-19-2003, 12:06 AM
Aleta! Teaberry gum was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. You're the only person I've come across in 15 years who knows about it!

Those of you looking for candies from when you were kids might want to check this place (http://www.oldtimecandy.com/enter.htm) out, they seem to have a lot of them. They even have Adams Clove & Beeman's chewing gum, which I haven't seen anywhere in years.

Another thing I've been forlornly looking for in the supermarket for the last few years is Breyer's butter almond ice cream. I can't find it anywhere and don't know if they've discontinued that flavor or just don't sell it in this area anymore.

DesertDreamer
09-19-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm sitting here with half a pack of Teaberry gum on my desk. Muhahahaha!:evil:

I'll trade anyone for a pack of Adams Sour Apple gum. <whine>

Flakes are heavenly. I fell for them when I was in England in 1979. They served them inside ice cream cones (which vastly improved English ice cream). Thank you thank you for the link, gotta get me some!

Vikki, how about some Vegemite (I like Marmite better).

mdslampworkbeads
09-19-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by z_loi
Also, Smarties were just the best. Kinda like M&M's but sweeter, and they came in this groovy little tube with a plastic end that snapped in place so you could eat a few and close it back up. Plus, they had red back when M&M's didn't make red ones anymore. And if you licked the red ones, you could paint it onto your lips and the coloring would come off like lipstick. Very important for an 8 year old girl who was not allowed to wear lipstick!

You too? LOL I actually had a teacher ask me what shade of lipstick I was wearing! You can still get smarties in Canada.

What I miss:
1) Hawthorn Handcream from the Body Shop, I miss it sooo much!
I'd go through a large one in about a month. I still haven't found a worthy replacement. If they do that to the white musk line I may go postal!

2) Triangular Scottish Oat cakes, I know they make them round now but there much thicker and not the same.

3) A Japanese candy ice cream cone - it was a icecream cone filled with aero like bubbly chocolate and it came in chocolate, vanilla strawberry & coffee.

Monique

Jinx.Garza
09-19-2003, 05:16 AM
A decent toaster. What is it with toasters that don't work these days?

Yes! We've had three in 10 years and they all suck. How come we can put a man on the moon but we can't make a decent toaster? Grrr.

Originally posted by candygrrl
I adore Japanese snacks.

Yes! They're fabulous. When I lived in Japan, one of my favorite things to do was to go to the supermarket and explore the snacks aisle. So wonderul was this experience that I have dreams about it to this day, 20 years later.

Originally posted by DrPam
I miss Gardenburger's savory mushroom veggie burger. They redesigned their whole line, and the "burgers" are much meatier tasting now. I miss the old veggie-tasting ones.

Before I moved to Europe in 1989 I had just discovered Gardenburgers. When I came back a few years later, at first I couldn't find them, and when I finally did I didn't recognize the taste at all. I thought I must have remembered the wrong name. Thanks for solving the mystery for me!

In addition to toaster, Japanese snacks, and the original Gardenburger I'd add:

Bakir perfume, and
Honey Butter. I can still see the little bee guy on the lid. Maybe they still make it but I can't seem to find it.

Fun thread.

Jinx

Enkindled_Spirit
09-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Still selling teaberry in the Ocean State!!!:D Always loved it!

I wish I could get my hands on the following discontinued items:

Vidal Sassoon "Solutions"........this stuff made hair really SHINE, no matter what! Not sticky like products today......I even wrote them looking for it.

Marathon chocolate caramel bar.

Any Canadians here? Do they still make ALL DRESSED potato chips????? My favorite while I was stationed there. Guess they never made it to the US. Also, I LOVED baby champagne.......not in the US either.
:crying:

anna-sofie ltd
09-19-2003, 07:08 AM
This one is easy...

Last summer Lay's potato chips made the California Dill potato chip. They were FABULOUS!!!! We can get a chip similar in Sweden ...... so I was thrilled. Well apparently the chip flavor was a "special" thing.... can't find them anywhere now.

I WANT THEM BACK!!!!!!

monster princess
09-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Hershey Bar None chocolate bars. They've been gone from the US for a while but last year in Mexico I bought some. It was a really sad day when the last one was gone.

laughing glass beads
09-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Queen of Tides
This is easy,And black jack gum. They do still make it, but can't get it here in TC anywhere!:crying:

Sure, you can:
http://www.ebulkcandy.com/sys-tmpl/cloveblackjackbeemans/

CC

Jillie Beads
09-19-2003, 09:16 AM
I used to love Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo when I was a teen ager! If I could whiff that, it sure would take me back a few years! Jill

snootyvixen
09-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by DesertDreamer
Vikki, how about some Vegemite (I like Marmite better).

I can't stand Vegemite! Marmite is edible (to me), but the best of the "mites" IMHO is Promite.

Vikki

Queen of Tides
09-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Lorinda,
ok, going to check out that site!

Libby,
try getting over "How do you solve a problem like Maria" lyrics!!! Every teacher, sheesh...

Kim(bluff road glass),
Kim Fields was here last weekend and wore two necklaces(on different days) with your beads, gorgeous, we all oohed and ahhed over them!

Jillie,
I loved GYHST! That would bring back memories for me too.

I also miss Grapefruit flaver Crystal Light, I lived on it last summer(I know, nutrasweet is poison!)

The original Ice Cream Sundae Cones, the insides were lined with REAL good chocolate, now it is waxy, yuck!

Sanders Vernors flavored ice cream, yummy!

Herbal Essence shampoo, it doesn't smell the same anymore.

The don't make pudding pops any more???

DesertDreamer
09-19-2003, 09:49 AM
For the "missing foods" lovers, here are two more fun sites.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index_dyn.asp

http://www.hometown-treats.com/

Other things I realize I miss: Rain perfume and Village Bath products....they had the best green apple shampoo and conditioner when I was a teenager....in nice, dangerous glass bottles.

Queen of Tides
09-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey,
on the link that Jennifer posted, there are Flake bars on sale! http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/flake.html

Chocolate, tempted to try it, imported.

mdslampworkbeads
09-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Enkindled_Spirit
Still selling teaberry in the Ocean State!!!:D Always loved it!

I wish I could get my hands on the following discontinued items:

Vidal Sassoon "Solutions"........this stuff made hair really SHINE, no matter what! Not sticky like products today......I even wrote them looking for it.

Marathon chocolate caramel bar.

Any Canadians here? Do they still make ALL DRESSED potato chips????? My favorite while I was stationed there. Guess they never made it to the US. Also, I LOVED baby champagne.......not in the US either.
:crying:

Yup! they still make all dressed in almost every chip 'line' up here. Funny thing is I love them but hate vinager and BBQ.

Monique

bjcohan
09-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh, Flake bars!!! Every time I went to the UK I brought back a ton of those. YUM! They are sooooo addicting.

I loved teaberry gum when I was in high school. I found a few wrappers among some old papers, but I haven't seen the gum in years.

I miss Murasaki perfume by Shiseido -- still hoarding the last little bit in that beautiful purple bottle.

And I really miss the old Ralston hot whole wheat cereal. I pined for several years and then found out they sold it by the case via a website. Bought a case but it just wasn't the same. The bits of wheat are now more finely ground and it just doesn't taste the same. But it's better than nothing.

And the original Breyer's vanilla fudge ice cream. They used REAL fudge, not syrup. You could actually *chew* those stripes.

This is a great thread!

Barb:cat:

bjcohan
09-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by beadnerd
I miss Breck Shampoo too and Body on Tap shampoo...I loved that smell.

Lori -

Breck is back, at least in this area.

Barb:cat:

bolimasa
09-19-2003, 04:17 PM
A decent toaster.

Boy, I am with you on that!!!! In the 19 years I have been married we have had at least 3 toaster and 5 toaster ovens.

DiannSmith
09-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Tab -- it is what got me through college. Nothing else is quite like it (or at least not like how I remember it -- probably euphoric recall).

NeofossiL
09-20-2003, 01:37 AM
Diann,

Don't give up on finding TAB --- we've got it in most groceries here in TX....

Rebecca V.
09-20-2003, 02:58 AM
There was a granola bar, when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. It still had crunchy granola in it, unlike all the soft ones they have today, but it also had yogurt. Their artificial strawberry flavor was the best! I can't even remember the name, but it's the only granola bar I actually liked.

Jinx, you were looking for honey butter? As far as I know, it's just honey and butter. I make it all the time, and did so for years before I ever saw it in a supermarket.

Pepperidge Farms molasses cookies. I really like a crisp molasses cookie, and these were dark and rich. Now all the stores have a bazillion variations on the large chocolate chip cookies, which are OK but not really exciting, and seventy million flavors of goldfish, which I do not understand at all.

Jinx.Garza
09-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca V.

Jinx, you were looking for honey butter? As far as I know, it's just honey and butter. I make it all the time, and did so for years before I ever saw it in a supermarket.

Yeah, but I want to buy the kind we used to have as kids. With the bee guy on it.

This is the basic recipe, but buying it is so much more satisfying:
HONEY BUTTER

8 ounces honey
1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix all ingredients until smooth.

Jinx

Moonbeads
09-20-2003, 06:42 AM

I remember this!!! I wouldn't have until you said though! I loved that stuff!

I remember it too!!!

dark13ootique
09-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by A.J. Shulke
I miss the old recipe of Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Loved that stuff, used to take a baggie of it dry and munch on it for snack at work. Looked like cat chow but tasted like little oatmeal cookies.

Then they "improved" the recipe and GAG, URKKKK, UGH!!!

Too much cinnamon!

Why can't they just leave perfection alone?

~A J

Oh no! They changed it??? Pooh.. I was going to get some to snack on, too :(

I HATE when companies have those 'Limited Edition Scents'. Softsoap had a GREAT body wash called Cotton Blossom- it was GREAT. Then it was gone, and I didn't buy a ton to keep using :((

I miss the old version of Alpine Spiced Cider mix. The new one tastes like it has Splenda in it. Yuck.

I know there's tons of stuff I miss, but I can't think of much right now!

OH!! I miss the old FOAM dryer sheets. I don't even remember the name of em. Wish I could find those again :)

redsidedesigns
09-20-2003, 12:21 PM
I am a BIG chip person and the ones that I really miss are
Tostitos Baked Salsa and Cream Cheese
I have not had any for 4 years and still miss them. I am going to have to go on a big hunt for them. I don't know if they are not made any more or I can't get them out here.

Kristan

dark13ootique
09-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Barb! Teaberry gum is still available in lots of places- and if y'all are looking for 'vintage candy', check out this site!

Candy Direct (http://www.candydirect.com/candy/home.html)

They have it ALL :D

toozygoot
09-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Amy - I just checked that site and for the heck of it searched for SkyBars. They have them! I can't believe it since these go back to the 50's and I haven't seen them around in a loooooooong time! Now I have to go back and check some more and bookmark it.

Thanks!

pat

dark13ootique
09-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Hee hee.. as soon as I get my cavities filled, I'm going on a candy spree there! :D

suzanneMI
11-28-2003, 11:55 PM
The original Anne Klein fragrance! (Not Anne Klein II and not the "new recipe" they came out with in 1986-ish. It is my ALL-TIME favorite and I would get compliments all the time on how good I smelled! I'm savoring my last box of powder . . . but I'm stocked on the body cream! :D

I swear, every time I find a favorite, it gets discontinued. Remember Pierre Cardin for Women? Yummy on me, but arrivederci, baby. Figi? Adios, muchacho.

P.S. I am there with you on the toaster thing. Maybe we should scout out the thrift stores for the old bare-bones models that will probably last the rest of our lifetimes.

dockhl
11-29-2003, 01:11 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.................

Space Food Sticks -- especially the peanut butter flavor.(1969---sent off to college with a little 'care package'....)

original Herbal Essence shampoo...little squarish bottle with the organic happy hippy chick on the front? Very .......lustful.....memories...!!!!!

Victoria's Secret Peach Hyacinth lotion (or anything!) Yum !

Body Shop had a lip (?) Magic Marker....for lack of a better word ! Stained your lips without gloss, etc....smelled AWFUL after a while (gee, maybe that is why it is gone?)

the original RED perfume by Geoffrey Beene...made you feel rich :)

Laura Brito
11-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Bath and Bodyworks *Tulip* lotion, they stopped making it and I really liked that one. I have two tubes of Freesha, which I don't like as much. I just had LLuvia bring me a bunch of Sweet Pea Lotion & Moonlight path.

When I was a kid living in the Philippine Islands there was a cracker that was sold inside a metal tin, I LOVED THOSE THINGS! They were very flaky and buttery. I don't remember the name, but those were the best.

Laura

Donni
11-29-2003, 07:33 AM
wow, what a blast of a thread! LOL Wished I had some "porcupine pie" to munch while reading!

I remember these lollies when I was a kid, and I would LOVE to find them again, haven't seen them since I was a kid! They were pink lentil (glass analogy? ;) lollies with a crispy / hard coating and a softer inside... and tasted so yuuuuuuummy... pink LOL I just loved them!

Vikki - did you want the rusks for you, or bub? I LOVE eating those (last time, 4 years ago LOL) Yuuuuumy! I love farex too ;) shhhhh!

And Pamite beats Marmite any ol day! ;)

I think we still have gumption, and gromit. Gromit?

Gromit,
makes ya teeth turn green
gromit
makes ya smell like mortein
gromit
makes ya vomit
so buy some gromit
to vomit todaaaaaaaay!!!!!

Toasters.... we only get a couple of years out of ours Donna, but it gets some usage!

Thanks for the nostalgia bug peeps! :) :clap:

PS Vikki and any Aussie who went to school in AUS: this site can be a real blast from the past! http://www.schoolfriends.com.au/ OK its a little OT. but still something of the past that isn't here now (school days... are the prime time of our lives.... oooops .... I should whistle, not sing?????

Spiderlace
11-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Sadly, mine are all food ;)

Bonomo Turkish taffy, vanilla and banana (frozen and cracked on the sidewalk)

Carvel Cherry Bonnets -- with chocolate ice cream, sold frozen

Columbo peach melba yogurt

Moth
11-29-2003, 10:25 AM

Vikki

I order the McVities digestives from Goodwoods.com. They are based in Texas and the shipping is super fast. They sell the two different types of chocolate and the plain. I also order my tea from there...it is my treat to myself. LOL There is nothing like Yorkshire Gold Tea.

They do put a disclaimer on their site though about how easily english chocolate melts and it is at your own risk if they are all stuck together. I have ordered them about six times though, and never had a problem.

~~Mary

Just finished reading the thread...boy you guys really brought back some memories and I can't wait to check out the other UK Import shops you linked to! Cool.

I have a friend who lives in Fife Scotland who I might could ask about the scotch, Dr. Pam! He owes me a favor and is always willing to trade stuff with me back and forth. He is a software junkie and has troubles getting his hands on our stuff at a decent price.

I remember Teaberry gum, but liked Blackjack better. I have seen it around here, but not often.

The only thing I remember that I actually miss, is Rose Milk lotion in the pump bottle. My great grandma always had a bottle of this next to her bathroom sink and I would wash my hands 50 times a day at her house just so I could use the lotion. LOL I can't find it anywhere now. Rose Milk was the lotion that always had its commercials run during 'Hee Haw' show. LOL I wish I could find it. I don't believe it was ever very expensive, just nostalgic to me.

I also loved the original B&BW Freesia, but it doesn't seem the same anymore.

I didn't know they quit making pudding pops!!! What's up with that?

Cool thread!

OH, I think we should all go on toaster strike...thow them in trash and go on eBay and buy up all the toasters over 50 years old. Then we would be happy. LOL

snootyvixen
11-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Laura Brito
When I was a kid living in the Philippine Islands there was a cracker that was sold inside a metal tin, I LOVED THOSE THINGS! They were very flaky and buttery. I don't remember the name, but those were the best.

Laura

Cabin crackers? They sound like cabin crackers, and I know you can get them in the Fiji Market in Newtown, Sydney (is that any help? LOL!!!)

Donni - for both of us, of course!!! (there are a lot of baby foods I'm quite partial too ... peach dessert comes to mind awfully quickly!)

Never heard of Pamite, you don't mean Promite, do you? (I can handle Promite, HATE Vegemite!)

I found something similar to Gumption, but it's orange scented, and somehow I just can't imagine oranges cleaning like Gumption did.

I HAVE a really old toaster. I was goiing to put it up on eBay, but there were so many of them that I decided to wait and see if they ever got "rarer" LOL!!!

Vikki

k8e
11-29-2003, 11:35 AM
that Toasted Hazelnut was the BEST!!...Victoria's Secret had Warm Embrace-which smelled almost exactly the same...(they've probably discontinued it as well!! All over eBay, though!)

There used to be a shop in the local mall...they had every kind of fragrance oil...and you could mix your own scents....I REALLY miss that....

Black jack & beeman's I can do without..but the clove and teaberry!!

the ONE thing we can't get in this Michigan that I miss the most..(and wouldn't you know...it was one of my biggest pregnancy cravings!!)

Sonic's Cherry Limeade!!!!

:cat: Katie

Smedstad
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Donni
Gromit,
makes ya teeth turn green
gromit
makes ya smell like mortein
gromit
makes ya vomit
so buy some gromit
to vomit todaaaaaaaay!!!!!

Oh this one brings back memories but in South Dakota in the late 60's it was

Comet, it make your teeth turns green.
Comet, it tastes like gasoline,
Comet, it makes you vomit,
So get some comet and vomit today!

Humh. I could get going here. I think of a number of others that we sang on the bus on the way to out of town swim meets.

"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out...

Debbie

BeadGlam
11-29-2003, 01:40 PM
My favorite perfume Freedom by Tommy Hilfiger.......so if anyone has any sitting around that they don't use send it my way:)

Heather

glassdude
11-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Oh, SuzanneMI, there's a perfume shop online which sells Fidji!!!
It's at www.perfumemart.com or www.perfumeemporium.com
One of them also carries another perfume that I love and was discontinued: Naj Oleari... yummmmy!
Thansk for all of the great links!! This was really fun... Off to buy some Teaberry gum and look for those Lavender Pastilles!
Jacqui

snootyvixen
04-03-2004, 12:58 AM
I just remembered two more things I miss!

Fruche and Weetabix :crying:

Vikki

Charlee
04-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I'm sitting here with half a pack of Teaberry gum on my desk. Muhahahaha!:evil:

Aaaah but can you do the Teaberry Shuffle? I could - once upon a time. :D

Space Food sticks - I loved those! And they've started making Valomilks again. No way to eat one without getting it all over you. And I seriously miss the original Herbal Essence shampoo - smelled so green. Remember when Seventeen magazine was large format and that cool Muguet ad would be in a two-page spread? We always cut those out for lapboard collages. :cool:

Charlee

Jinxxie
04-03-2004, 01:59 AM
Ahh Vikki, I loved Fruche. I don't know what it was, But dang I loved the stuff.
My sister was telling me she had fruche for lunch the other day, and I WANTED it, but I still don't quite remember what it was... Yogurty cream cheesy stuff. I remember what it was like, but I never remember knowing exactly how they described it, ie. was it yogurt? Was it cream cheese?

Now promite, thats good stuff.. and weetbix... Oh the amazing power of weetbix, to soak up more milk that you could imagine anything could EVER hold.

Now, for all you flake lovers, I was at Cost Plus World Market JUST TODAY.. and they were selling six pack of Flakes... at least here in So Cal. They also had turkish delight bars. YUM!!

Michelle

nilaya
04-03-2004, 02:16 AM
I cant remeber the brand..but they were preshaped eyebrow wax strips, The were already shaped in the curve of your eyebrow and you didnt have to heat anything...but you can get them here now...waaaa..so now ive got 2 furry carrerpillas sitting up there cos i hate tweezing and dont have time to go get them done...lol

Lorretta

rosiescreations
04-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Here is some Yardley and old time candy
http://www.maststoreonline.com/index.htm