PDA

View Full Version : Pomeranian WIP... critique appreciated!

MarvelousSauce
10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi folks! I've been MIA for a while after getting a new teaching job that has been absorbing all my time. I took a hiatus from drawing while I got started on that, but have a ton of commissions that I need to get caught up on before Christmas... so I just did this, but am not happy with it at the moment. I am leaning toward scrapping it and starting over, as I'm not sure if it's fixable. I had a hard time getting much detail with the reference photo (looking it on my computer now, the highlights came out much less blue and more greyed when I printed it), and am also having a hard time doing a colored background--I can't seem to avoid the "halo" effect. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2013/1335271-lancereference.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2013/1335271-Lance.jpg

DAK723
10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Scrapping it?? Huh!:eek:

This is lovely, bordering on excellent!! You've captured the dog and the expression perfectly!

There is only one thing I would think about - since you have made the values generally lighter than the photo (good!), I would consider lightening, or adding a touch of highlight, in the eye on the dark side.

As for the "halo" effect, well, do the background first, or at least make sure some background color is painted into the shape of the dog first, so that the background color and the dog colors overlap from the start.

Don

NRC
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I think you've done remarkably well with that dark ref pic. Love all the different colour (warms) in the fur. If you are able to, think you may need to go darker yet to put more emphasis on that cute little face. Perhaps it just a matter of upping the contrast? What colours have you used to paint that beautiful tongue!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2013/156805-delete.jpg

artsask
10-22-2013, 11:52 PM
You have done an amazing job showing the details on a black Pom, they are so hard to see when they have dark faces, (I have one too) the detail on the dark eye is a good point, also a small tweek or his or her face looks like it could be a touch fatter on our right side from the ear down it just looks not quite full enough and makes the ear a tad longer?? Looks lovely anyway, great job.

Trudi

Ruthie57
10-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Don't scrap it! You've caught that lovely cute face so well. To me the ears are the only things that don't ring true. You have them both a little too narrow and less rounded than they appear in the photo. I think the ear on our right is maybe a smidge too high....or the other needs to go up a little. The angle between the tops of the ears looks a little steeper than in the photo. The transition of the ear on our right into the face is also a much softer curve than you have it.
If you can get the dark areas of the face a bit darker I think it will look more like a black dog. At the moment to me he looks grey.
The face and the tongue are gorgeous!

ElleZ
10-23-2013, 03:47 AM
I like your little black Pom, cute as a button. Dont scrap it. Job well done.

Moises Menendez
10-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Everything is OK, but check on his LEFT ear. It looks a bit longer than his right ear. Oh, increase the values some.

pastel65
10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Since I have problems drawing I use a grid, rulers, flip pictures upside down, etc. I try really hard to double check my drawings and did the same to this. I am no expert but i do believe a few features are off. I would suggest you double check the picture against the painting. I agree that left ear if off. Also, I ran a line from Inside corner of left eye to nose in the picture and the painting does not match. Just double check these areas. I volunteer at a nursing home and this woman wanted me to paint her dog. The dog was only a tiny portion of the overall picture she gave me and no facial features were visible. I did many drawings and could not get the overall sketch right so I finally just blew up on my printer and traced and guessed at the facial features. Your work is beautiful, just check the drawing. Pam

gecko99
10-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Agree with everyone here re. the few things that need tweaking. The background works fine for me but it would be good to see some juicy blue blacks through the fur - definitely do not trash this!!!!!

The face and tongue are just a delight :)

I think you've done a top job with a difficult photo!

Nicole

pugwash
10-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Definitely make the face darker, especially on the shadow side. Don't be afraid of using black, it is after all, a black dog! Increase the values, (make the darks darker and the lights lighter.) I agree with the suggestion of putting a highlight in the shaded eye. I would put it in the same place as the other eye but smaller. It will add a bit of sparkle. Keep going with this painting, It'll come good.

MarvelousSauce
10-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions and encouragement, everyone... I feel like I get about halfway through a painting, decide it's hopeless and terrible, then keep going and feel better about it; this one I guess I just never got to the "feel better" part, but now that I have some specific areas to work on I think hopefully I can get there. :)

Thank you again!

kentiessen
10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Good drawing! Soft, black fur is a challenge- the best thing to do is to really push value. At the start, put a patch of black in the darkest area of your reference for comparison, then wade in-

pugwash
10-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Yes. What Ken said!