PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Petunias

DakotaPaint
10-21-2013, 10:43 PM
This is my first attempt at alla prima in oils. I think my background would have been better with more of an earth colored wash. Well, next time...Wish I had started in the summer when I had all the beautiful flowers in my garden. The paint is still wet.

This is a pretty small piece 8 x 10 inches. Thanks for looking and any comments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2013/94891-Petunias.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2013, 01:04 PM
The flowers are lovely - those right hand white ones especially.:)
I also think it might benefit from a much darker b/g - perhaps including touches of that dark red so it's not confined only to those two flowers.

Vivien Maloney
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Like the flowers and I also would try a darker background which would make the flowers stand out more.
If you have a look at the bottom right and the top left flower, you will see they are standing out far more than the others as you've painted some dark around part of them. Try it, I think you will find it will make a huge difference.

DakotaPaint
01-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Thank you for the tip, Vivien. I will give that a try!

Paulafv
01-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Lovely reds among the whites. Agree with Maureen a deep red background would really make this pop. Beautiful.

Lea51
01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Beautiful shadows and lights on the white petals...it's harder to see on the dark flowers... I agree that a darker background would let the white flowers shine, but I'm not sure how dark I'd go. Perhaps the same color family as the dark flowers, keeping it muted, but not quite as dark?