PDA

View Full Version : New player!

carelessbear
10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm a new to this forum and actually new to watercolor painting as well. I didn't do any arts for years, but right now i got this burning feeling that i have to paint. I started to look information about watercolor paining and somehow i ended up in this forum. I want to thank all of you, it's so inspiring to see you work over here!

Anyway, I got this kinda tight budget right now, so i don't actually have a watercolors yet. Works you see below are made by watercolor pencils and they are really difficult to work with. But I'm starting to discover "voice of my own" with them :) Really looking to forward to get proper tools.

Here is one sketch where i did found out how i can use those pencils. Not pretty, but i liked colors.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2013/1416763-pieni1.jpg

Then i made other one, it's a bit better, but still lots to learn.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2013/1416763-pieni2.jpg

Yorky
10-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you posted your sketches. You will find that as you get to know your materials you will steadily improve your technique. Please take time to look at the top 20 FAQ's and other watercolor links in y signature, they are very informative.

The number one recommendation you will get from experienced watercolour painters is to invest in a sheet of top quality watercolour paper such as 140lb Arches cold pressed. You will see an immediate improvement over cheap papers. Cut it up into 1/4 an 1/8 pieces and remember you can paint on the back if you are not happy with your painting.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Doug

carelessbear
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Thank you Doug!

Those are painted on 140 lbs medium texture paper by canson. Not sure if cold pressed or not. Thanks for that paper cutting tip!

Yorky
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
The reason I mentioned paper is that I could see a distinct texture pattern in your sketch from the underlying paper.

Doug

carelessbear
10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Haha, sharp eyes you got :) As my misfortune I have 30 A4 sheets of this particular paper. But next time i will know better!

Cyntada
10-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Welcome, Carelessbear! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Doug does have sharp eyes! :)

pjartwc
10-22-2013, 05:55 AM
I also want to welcome you. Watercolor, as you know, is such a spectacular medium to work with for getting unpredictable results. I've found that the pencils are extremely difficult and I marvel at your results. I really like the values you were able to obtain with them and love the shadows on your first flower!!!!
As Doug mentioned, paper is so important! Just one 20x30 sheet of Arches 150 lb. cold press -available in many art supple places, will give you eight 7.5x11-inch paper and you can use both sides, especially nice for practice. You might also want to check YouTube for watercolor pencil tutorials. I look foreward to seeing more of your paintings.

carelessbear
10-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your warm welcomes!

Is there any negative aspect if I will first use those 30 sheets and not get better paper immediately?

Bluesman
10-22-2013, 08:33 AM
First welcome to the fun!! Your paper can be used to test colors and other works. I think in the beginning paper is important to observe how the colors blend, as has been mentioned above get a full sheet of 140 lb Arches. I cut mine into various sizes and using both sides is a huge plus. Sounds like you have the spark and nothing beats practicing.
Water color pencils are new to me and there are many techniques on how to use them on line. I look forward to watching your progress.
John

LynnM
10-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Welcome and well done, not easy to use those pencils and you have got good drawing skills.....keep them coming!

carelessbear
10-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you so much!

LCPainterCat
10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi, Careless Bear (your name is making me smile : )

If you treat yourself to just one sheet of 140 lb. cold press paper (I think many of us prefer Arches, but there are several good brands) you can cut it into i/8 size pieces and have 16 surfaces, which -- along with practicing colors and techniques on your large supply of "other" paper, should keep you busy for quite a while! The Artist-quality paper is MUCH more important than artist quality paints or brushes at this point! As soon as you possibly can, though, buy yourself just three small tubes of decent student quality watercolor paints (Cotman's is fine for now) all "transparent," and one each of a nice clear red, yellow and blue. You will be amazed at how many colors you can mix with just those three transparent paints. And paint is SO MUCH EASIER than watercolor pencils to work with -- as well as giving you more opportunity to learn what happens when you use them wet in wet, dry in wet, wet on dry, etc, as well as tipping and moving your paper to encourage interesting results. This could keep you busy all winter without investing in anything more (well, Maybe another sheet of paper after a while!: )
Others may disagree with my suggestions -- I urge you to listen to THEM!!!

Do keep showing us what you are doing!

Lynn/LC

tamouse
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Haha, sharp eyes you got :) As my misfortune I have 30 A4 sheets of this particular paper. But next time i will know better!

Keep for practicing strokes, exercises, colour tests, and so on -- but follow the advice and invest in a good block of paper, too. The difference is really amazing.

Cyntada
10-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Or, just paint like crazy until you use up all the paper you have, then you *have* to buy more!! :)

I'll always recommend quality materials, BUT it is better to paint with what you have, than not paint at all because you're waiting to buy something.

carelessbear
10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Haha, thank you all! Seems that here is one big cheerful group of supportive persons :) I'm so glad for this warm welcome.

Yes, many of you have been telling me about importance of paper, so i guess i have to have some then as soon as possible:)

I did found one artist supplier in Helsinki who sells White nights, 12 set of pans just for 17 (~23 dollars) so that i can afford :) plus brushes of course. Will be much easier to actually paint, than struggle with pencils.

tamouse
10-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Is there any negative aspect if I will first use those 30 sheets and not get better paper immediately?

Probably not a major one, but watercolour does work differently on good paper, so you might not get the right feel for how the paint flows as well. I don't think that's a huge problem, really.