PDA

View Full Version : Waiting in the shed .... C&C welcome

jeaneade2001
10-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Definitely waiting for the shears ... Poor things are wool-blind!

This was painted at a workshop run by renowned Australian watercolourist/pastellist Ross Paterson. Unfortunately I only have one painting to show as I totally stuffed up on the second day and that one went in the too hard file!

It's on black Canson MiTientes "Tex" (equivalent, I think to the Northern Hemisphere 'Touch') 14 x 10 inches, using just a few basic Art Spectrum softies ... The palest yellow ochre (highlights), a slightly darker yellow ochre, a pale and a medium burnt sienna, a warm orange (Coral), ultramarine blue, and Flinders blue violet. The whole exercise probably took two hours at the most.

The photo credit for the reference goes to Ross's wife, Barbara.

My photograph has faded my warm orange and intensified the cool blue, but oh, well, you can't have everything. I'm not quite sure where the green tinge came from, either, too dry here for anything to go mouldy! The weather is quite horrendous at the moment and with nearly the whole east of New South Wales on fire from the mountains to the coast, a bit of green here is a minor detail. We're all praying that the cold snap due towards the end of the working week will calm things down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2013/71788-Waiting_for_the_shears.jpg

As said, all C&C welcome, and thanks for looking!

gecko99
10-21-2013, 02:08 AM
A lovely little vignette, Jean! Yes, the Mi-Teintes Touch is called Tex here.

The fires are heartbreaking for humans and animals alike; I've been watching these awful events unfold from the other side of the border - thinking of you all down there.

Nicole

ElleZ
10-21-2013, 02:56 AM
I actually like the tinge of green in this. Reminds me when I lived in outback WA and shearing time.
Stay safe with all of the fires, I tend to worry about everyone & all of the animals - farmyard, pets and wild life. These bushfires are extremely bad, for so early in the season.

jeaneade2001
10-21-2013, 02:59 AM
We're about an hour and a half from the nearest fires at Lithgow, Nicole, so we're quite safe at the moment. But the whole of the eastern half of the state is just so lush and with this heat everything's drying off so quickly ... It's just too early in the year, isn't it? Of course, the pollies tell us there's NO global warming ...

Hmmm.

Thanks for liking the little painting. I've been using Tex for a few years now (they used Australia as guinea pigs!) and I didn't like it much at first because it didn't hold enough layers ... But I really love it now for portraits and animals. It stops me fiddling and wrecking things! I'd really like to try some of the American and European papers, though. Pity they aren't readily available.

Ruthie57
10-21-2013, 03:01 AM
I love it! They look so......woolly! Great use of soft edges and highlights too. The news is on here right now telling us about the fires in the Blue mountains. Thinking of you all "down under". Stay safe.

jeaneade2001
10-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Thank you so much, Elle. The wildlife particularly suffers in these fires in the National Parks and in the bush. If only they'd let the relevant people do some controlled burning off when it's safe it would help ... Thanks, Ruthie. Any praise from you is pure gold because you are go GOOD!!!

AllisonR
10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
I really like this. I think because it is loose but not messy, it looks confidently done. The highlights on the top right hitting that black background make a lovely contrast. Has that glow effect, which is often seen in oil paintings. I question the placement of the lowest of the three sheep - the sheep to it's left seems behind it, yet it is cutting off the back of the head of this lowest one. Where is the body of the lowest one?

allydoodle
10-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Beautiful painting Jean! I love the soft wooly look, wonderful! Stay safe, the news is showing awful fires, very scary.

Rockport123
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
I love the loose rendering of the Sheep Jean!!!! Very effective!!! Be safe!!!

water girl
10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Loose without losing your center of interest. Great job!

Donna T
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
What a wonderful painting! The soft edges and billowy puffs of sheep are so well done. As a knitter I'd love to get my hands on some of that wool! I sure hope those fires are a thing of the past soon.

jeaneade2001
10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
There are fears this morning that three of the fires could join forces and present a 300+ kilometre front in which case it would be uncontainable, God help us. At this point in time the temperature is quite comfortable but there are electrical storms about (we've even had a few spits of rain) which could start even more fires, and conditions are forecast to be as bad as yesterday. The mountains and coastal areas could be in for one hell of a day, literally. I think the whole of the country is praying!

Thanks you for your compliments, Allison R. The sheep were absolutely jammed together, to the end that bodies merged and were really unidentifiable! I suspect it's on its knees and squashed, the left-hand (focal) sheep was definitely in front of it!

Thanks Chris, Marlene and Karen. I was thrilled to actually get a loose painting! It's not me at all, tho' I try!

Donna, thank you for you kind words, they mean a lot! These are actually strong wool Merinos, not fine wool sheep, if you tried knitting with homespun fleece from them you would wear holes in your fingers ... I know! I have done it! I would have given up except I was getting paid for a finished jumper!