PDA

View Full Version : Metal and China (Maybe, other titles welcomed)

AllisonR
10-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Oil on canvas
45 x 55 cm (18 x 22 inch)
A still life I painted in July but it was stuck in Sweden until it dried. Not wild about the subject matter, but I am more or less happy about the painting. Always tons of room for improvement (for example I think the reflections on the copper jug are off). What can be improved? Hard crits welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2013/133314-DSC_0080Metal_and_China.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2013/133314-DSC_0080Metal_and_ChinaZoom.jpg

gebhm
10-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Where the wall meets the counter top is not a straight line, it appears wavy. Of course if it is a cloth covering I would expect folds etc. and they are not there. I like the copper jug and pitcher, however I would work on the plate/tray against the wall. It is what needs touching up to me. Not sure of the lighting but the shadows by the right side of the pitcher indicate two light sources. Overall I like this piece and think you have an excellent start on it.

chunbumpark
10-17-2013, 04:05 PM
i like it. very convincing modeling

HRobinson
10-28-2013, 02:18 AM
Hello Allison. I am a little confused about your light source and why the bottom of your plate is lighter than the left side. With than having been better defined you'd only have one other problem (that I can see) and that would be with your interpretation of those ovals. At eye level those segments would appear closed and open more as they are lower than the eyes. (You can test this by raising a cup to eye level and slowly lowering it while observing the different ovals the rim makes.) Your copper is better than most... even as good as the pros.

Andrewcody
10-28-2013, 09:40 PM
HR noted the light source issue, there is a long thin shadow to the right of the plate behind the jug which does not appear to have a source for the cast shadow.
Individually I like your treatment of the jug and the copper tiny milk urn, less happy with the plate, is it metal or ceramic?
Regards
Andrew

goatmilksoapgoddess
11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I immediately wondered what the plate is made of, since it seems to be
Immune to the light source producing the bright reflection on the other subjects. Overall I think it is beautiful.

Sydne

xislandman
11-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Aside from some of the other obvious comments... a very nice rendering and great control of your pallet.

escorial
12-01-2013, 10:39 PM
As three separate objects they work well but your use of reflection is so off putting.