PDA

View Full Version : New apple painting

Susaleena
10-15-2013, 10:30 PM
It seems my first still life painting (an apple) was quite popular..so I did another but it's not as bold as my first apple. I definitely need more practice!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2013/1355783-Fallen_AppleWM.jpg

Yorky
10-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Wonderful form.

Doug

pjartwc
10-16-2013, 04:44 AM
This is a well painted apple! :clap: There are a few things that would make it even better.
Adding a stem.
A darker shadow right near the base of the apple with some darker color going up into the apple to show roundness.
One last thing you might want to try. Wet and LIGHTLY scrub a fairly large area on each side of the white highlight leaving the highlight alone. Drop in a juicy red (the one you used on the apple) in the center of each wet area. Leave alone - do not play with it - and let it dry.

painterbear
10-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Lovely job showing the curve of the apple, Susaleena. I like the mix of colors in the skin of the apple too.

When you paint a cast shadow, some of the color of the object casting it usually will be reflected in it as well as the color that it is being cast upon. Shadows are not just gray as the Impressionists knew so well. :D

Sylvia

fatbrush
10-17-2013, 01:53 AM
Just love apples and this one rather made my mouth water! Ady

noge
10-17-2013, 12:38 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Susaleena
10-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Lovely job showing the curve of the apple, Susaleena. I like the mix of colors in the skin of the apple too.

When you paint a cast shadow, some of the color of the object casting it usually will be reflected in it as well as the color that it is being cast upon. Shadows are not just gray as the Impressionists knew so well. :D

Sylvia

Ah good point! Haha I should've added some of the red into the shadow and mixed it... Thanks so much for the tip!

Susaleena
10-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Wonderful form.

Doug
Thank you Doug! Hoping to better my paintings in the days to come

Susaleena
10-17-2013, 08:53 PM
This is a well painted apple! :clap: There are a few things that would make it even better.
Adding a stem.
A darker shadow right near the base of the apple with some darker color going up into the apple to show roundness.
One last thing you might want to try. Wet and LIGHTLY scrub a fairly large area on each side of the white highlight leaving the highlight alone. Drop in a juicy red (the one you used on the apple) in the center of each wet area. Leave alone - do not play with it - and let it dry.

Ah thanks so much for the advice! I do admit, I think I overworked the highlights causing some of it to blend in with the reds:( I tend to fiddle too much with a painting before it dries haha I just can't let it sit still for some reason. I will try that with my next one :)

Just love apples and this one rather made my mouth water! Ady

Thanks Ady! Glad it had that effect!:thumbsup: I love apples too but I can't eat them anymore because my bf is allergic so we can't keep them in the house :(

:clap: :clap: :clap:
lol thank you!

painterbear
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I tend to fiddle too much with a painting before it dries haha I just can't let it sit still for some reason.

It is difficult to do when you are working on a single item as your subject as in this painting, but when you advance to a composition that includes different parts and subjects within it, it is easier to paint a section and move on to a different section while you let that one dry. ;)

Patience is a good attribute to cultivate when you work with watercolors. :angel:

Sylvia

Susaleena
10-18-2013, 10:52 PM
It is difficult to do when you are working on a single item as your subject as in this painting, but when you advance to a composition that includes different parts and subjects within it, it is easier to paint a section and move on to a different section while you let that one dry. ;)

Patience is a good attribute to cultivate when you work with watercolors. :angel:

Sylvia

lol thanks Sylvia!:clap: I agree, I should really paint in sections rather than trying to tackle the whole composition at once. Patience is definitely not one of my strong points haha I stare at a painting even after I finish it sometimes and attempt to "re-work" parts....which usually ruins it half the time:angel: I will definitely practice more and attempt to stop fiddling with it so much.