PDA

View Full Version : Wylie Rescued from Afghanistan x posted in A&W

Sarah Dowson
10-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Back in May I had a day out at a local dog show where I got talking chatting to several people about their dogs etc.
One dog I met though, was special, his name is Wylie. He lives happily here in the UK, but that was not always the case.
Not so long ago Wylie was fighting for his life, following several brutal attacks by local Afghans. He was rescued by Nowzad.
Nowzad is a rescue charity which rescues dogs and cats in Afghanistan and Iraq sending them to homes in Australia, the US and the UK.
Many of these animals are rescued in the first place by soldiers on the front line and they go to rejoin them at home when they leave Afghanistan.
Wylie was brought to the UK where he will live happily ever after.
He was brutalised on several occasions by Afghan locals until he was rescued. He is lucky to have survived. His injuries include: Having his ears, tail and penis cut off, he was stabbed and finally thrown under a moving car in an effort to kill him.
Here he is today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2013/1304117-Wylie_Painting_web.jpg

Pastel on Pastelmat. Size 8"x10"

If you would like to know more about Nowzad here is a link to them. https://www.facebook.com/pages/nowzad/110252975672446?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Ruthie57
10-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Oh my what a terrible story. Thanks goodness for happy endings! Well, as for the portrait, it's Fantastic! Well done.

Linda Reyes1959
10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
A beautiful painting of a beautiful dog. I will never understand how people can be so evil.

Dedrian
10-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Beautifully done!

Terry Wynn
10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
A beautiful painting. I don't understand such evil.

You are to be praised for bringing this organization to the front.

His eyes say so much when one knows the story.

Terry

allydoodle
10-15-2013, 10:41 PM
What a beautiful dog, and such a sad story. I am so very glad he is in a better place now, he deserves all the love and happiness in the world. Dogs are special, (though I love all animals...), they really pull at my heartstrings. You've really done him justice here, beautiful work.

Bongo1
10-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Incredible -- you've really captured the mood of the dog.

Christinal
10-16-2013, 01:08 AM
He's beautiful and very blessed. What is wrong with people?? I don't understand that mentality at all.

FaeLynn
10-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Lovely portrait! Yep, definitely evil lurking out there. We good people have to outshine it every chance we get and let others know, God is still in control.

water girl
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
At first glance, before reading your story, the words that came to mind were sweetness and serenity. Now I know why. Beautiful job!

ElleZ
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
A beautiful painting of Wylie, and a very happy ending to a sad story, I am glad he has found his forever home filled with love for him.

artsask
10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
That story is awful, a beautiful painting of such a gentle looking fellow that would melt any heart especially after reading his story it brings tears to my eyes.

Trudi

gecko99
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Tears in my eyes too - you really don't want to know what I would like to do to people who can perpetrate such cruel deeds on animals. It makes me ashamed to be human sometimes.

Good painting - his eyes are hauntingly beautiful.

Nicole

Equus Art
10-20-2013, 05:54 AM
This poor guy is a statement to the endurance and trust that dogs possess. It boggles my mind how forgiving they can be.

Your painting conveys the inner strength of Wylie and his eyes tell his story. Lovely job capturing his spirit!

Cat

Moises Menendez
10-20-2013, 06:37 AM
The perpetrators of this crime are not considered humans.
On the happy note, this is a great work. I like the use of the colors and the limited palette. This dog is alive!

chbimaging
10-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Before reading the text, I was attracted by the high quality of this portrait of a very beautiful dog, but I wondered where was his right ear.
Now I know...
Long life to you my doggie, don't be sad any more and bravo to the artist!

AllisonR
10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
WTF?! I am so upset by your story I have a hard time concentrating on the drawing. Why? Are dogs considered rodents or pests, then I would see killing him, but why torture him? I guess there are very traumatized people, who are taking out their traumas on dogs?

Rockport123
10-21-2013, 05:33 PM
You have created a touching portrait of a sweet gentle soul. I too do not comprehend how people could be so evil, but then I remember there are many good people as well! I wish him a long loving life in his new home.

Beautiful rendering!

FoxEnova
10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
So true, "Dogs are Special", and you did a beautiful job on Wylie. He will live in infamy now.

Turpintine45
10-21-2013, 11:15 PM
You have made a beautiful portrait of this long suffering dog with such a beautiful soul. Senseless cruelty towards man or beast is the darker side of humanity fortunately there is a kinder side to counteract it.

Mettaphorica
10-22-2013, 04:34 AM
How wonderful that you have brought attention to this important cause through your art. Reading the story I was sickened; no living creature deserves to be deliberately tortured. He is wonderfully painted. The story is moving and I too filled with tears. Would that more dogs like him be rescued as much intact as possible. You have done a beautiful job and his expression is so sweet and forgiving, well done.
cheers
Donna

rsmith.1141
10-22-2013, 10:29 AM
That story questions my faith in humanity. But at the same time restores it with the rescue and this wonderful portrait.

Dea
10-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Lovely portrait, poor thing, at least he has a better life now.
There is certainly no humanity in what was done to him,
Deanna

Sarah Dowson
10-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Just to say a big thank you to all for your lovely comments re this painting and Wylie.
Wylie came to see me today with his mum, Sarah. We had coffee and cake which was nice. Wylie thought there would be cake for him too, but he was wrong! He really is a lovely placid, loving dog.