PDA

View Full Version : Heisenburg Pencil Drawing

Disasterpiece
10-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Bryan Cranston from the AMC TV series 'Breaking Bad' . http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2013/60253-Heisenburg.JPG

Andrewcody
10-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Well done
The hat definitely needs to be further down on the forehead though in my opinion
Regards
Andrew

D.W. Flint
10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Nice drawing!! Seems like there should be more of a shadow on the forehead coming from the hat. Just maybe?...

Illfatedwren
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi! First off, the shading on the face is done really nicely. The general form and details of the face are also excellent (especially the ear - which is usually a tricky spot - so kudos!).

As pointed out by Andrewcody, the hat seems to be sitting too high on the head. It would help if you could visualize where the ball of his head (ie the cranium) is. The hat sits on the cranium, so the inside top of the hat should be in contact with the top of the cranium. Right now it looks like its levitating some 2/3 inches above it. I don't know if you have, but if you haven't, perhaps check out Andrew Loomis' book "Drawing the Head and Hands" to learn how to construct a head from a ball. It might seem superfluous to learn how to draw a head this way, especially if you plan on drawing from references exclusively, but learning the forms which make up a head would alleviate problems like this! (The book is available in pdf form for free, and legally.)

Other minor problems: check the shading on the hat. The direction of light falling on the face seems to originate from the left, but that on the hat seems to come from the right. Also, the shading at the centre of the hat is too uniform: make sure that your shadings accentuate the form of the hat (i.e. a cylinder). Like the face, there should be a gradual transition from (left to right): highlight, halftone, shadow and then reflected light.

The clothes seem to sit a little to far to the right, and similarly, the shadings do not fit the form of the collars (especially the one on the left).

All in all, a good looking drawing, so keep it up! :)

Disasterpiece
10-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the input. there were actually 2 light sourses in this photo, a mistake I will not make again. Im currently in the process of adjusting everything, the hat will be lower, the clothes will be darker ont he right side. I will repost it after im done.

Illfatedwren
10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Hm, it's fine that there are two light sources in the photo. It is just important to make it consistent. The face is lighted from the left; considering that the light seems to be hitting his forehead the strongest, I would assume that the light source is somewhat level to it (the forehead). Unless the light source is some two inches away from his face, I would think that the hat would also be illuminated on the left side as well (in addition to the highlight on the right, coming from the second light source). His left collar would also catch some light, I think. The highlights resultant from the light source on the right seem fine.

I hope this does not discourage you, because apart from these pretty minor stuff, the rendering (especially on the face) is very good!