PDA

View Full Version : Blue Earth Pastels - any more reviews?

Grinner
10-12-2013, 02:28 PM
OK, I know I can't be the only one who got the recent e-mail from Dakota Pastels about Blue Earth expanding their line to include more delicious-looking grays and neutrals, in addition to a turquoise box. :) But I have not found many reports from people who have used Blue Earth pastels here in Pastel Talk, so I thought I'd ask for personal experiences from anyone and everyone who has any. I am considering getting some of the grays - the colors do look gorgeous, and the color organization makes it really easy to pick what you want - but they just seem so small and the cost seems very high given the size, so I'm torn. Any thoughts from Blue Earth pastel users? Do you recommend them? What do you like/dislike about them? How do they handle? How do they feel compared to other brands? If you've ever used Blue Earth pastels, I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks!

allydoodle
10-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I am interested also, not for myself, but for a friend. She asked me about these just the other day. I know someone that got a Blue Earth pastel in a Dakota sampler, and I remember it was nice. A bit smaller than a Ludwig, and the price is about the same for a set. The close out prices are definitely a much better buy, though I see the gray set is sold out. My friend was thinking about the violet set.... I personally like the look of the Ludwig grays better than the Blue Earth Grays, but that's a personal preference. I don't have the set, I just like the looks of it :D . And no... I'm not gonna buy it, I don't need it :lol: ! Also, the Great American set of grays is beautiful, though it really isn't a set of grays, they are pretty colorful. I have that and I love it :smug: :lol: .

Interested to hear what others have to say.......

Devonlass
10-12-2013, 05:09 PM
I have the Quinacridone set. I bought those in particular because they were shades that were largely absent from my many sticks. I now realise that they were absent because I don't really need them.....however, that aside....I do like them, and use them occasionally, they are very soft but they are very small for the price,. I consider Ludwigs to be a much better value. I do remember that one of our longtime pastel artists on WC ordered some of them (2 or 3 sets I think) and when they arrived she was so dismayed at how small they were, that she sent them back!

robertsloan2
10-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I have been tempted by them for a very long time now but no longer have the scale of spending money that I did. I think if I order some I might get them open stock rather than in sets, try to put together a set with fewer tints per color but a full spectrum. I love the way the range is set up though, that I could get that many blues, violets, greens, etc.

If they're that much smaller than Ludwigs and cost about the same I can see how they'd be frustrating though. I would have been saving up to get the whole range with how it's organized.

Jason1616
10-14-2013, 01:40 AM
I like the Blue Earths…I bought two of their sets, the green and the quin pink. I'm glad to see they expanded the set! I really don't have a reason (or money) to buy a full set, but they are very nice. The softness is similar to Ludwigs, but I agree with Carol that the Ludwigs are probably a better value in the long run.

Robert: I think you will like the Blue Earths. When you can afford to, definitely try some open stock.

Bill Whitman
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I like Blue Earth for the organization (hue, value, chroma,) ....it makes painting alot easier. It's true that Ludwig pastels are somewhat larger, but I think the price difference isn't that significant considering he charges more for some sticks than others.

robertsloan2
10-18-2013, 07:36 AM
What I'm tempted to do is two tints, masstone and a shade for each of the main hues. Or if I had good budget, all of the hues - a sort of truncated complete set, about a quarter to half of them but not all the tint gradations. The full set with how they're organized would be awesome. They are so perfect a Colourist set with their balanced hues and lovely range of tints.

Grinner
10-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks, everyone. I guess not a lot of people here have used them, but I appreciate hearing from those of you who have, and from those of you who are also interested in learning about these. Taking everything into consideration, I think I will be hard pressed to justify buying these when I can just get more Great Americans at twice the size (!) for such a better value. But I may get a couple of Blue Earth in open stock if I see specific colors that I can't get in GAs, as the colors do look really nice. :)

lirael2008
10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Someone I met at a workshop said they were a bit crumbly at the ends, similar to Sennelier.

allydoodle
10-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks, everyone. I guess not a lot of people here have used them, but I appreciate hearing from those of you who have, and from those of you who are also interested in learning about these. Taking everything into consideration, I think I will be hard pressed to justify buying these when I can just get more Great Americans at twice the size (!) for such a better value. But I may get a couple of Blue Earth in open stock if I see specific colors that I can't get in GAs, as the colors do look really nice. :)

I recently purchased two half stick sets of Great Americans. I love them, the colors are beautiful, and the size of the sticks are just right. I really didn't need full sticks, I'd much rather have more colors, which is why I went for the half stick sets. I got both the 60 pc On the Terrace half stick set and the plain 60 pc half stick set. I'd get those first, the sticks are larger and I think the colors are great.

Grinner
10-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Chris! Yes, I got one of the half stick sets and fell in love with GAs. After that I got some more in open stock, and I definitely see more of them in my future :evil: