PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Spotlight and beyond

getdusty
10-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Ruthie57 suggested that I put these here in order to get some comments, critiques and suggestions. (She told me to not be afraid :) ) So here goes. The first I worked on for hours and hours and it's "okay". The second (just a little meadow scene) went from value study to finished painting in about 20 minutes. I admit that I like the feel of the second one better. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to look at these and comment. Forgot the details...8 x 10, mi teinte, soft pastels (various brands)

getdusty
10-12-2013, 10:10 AM
and here's the second (lost it somehow) Here, too, 5-1/2 x 5-1/2, Fisher 400,soft pastels, various brands

cchapin
10-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I think both are nice. In the first one I like how the spots of color lead your eye through the painting. Also, I like the atmosphere you have created.

sketchZ1ol
10-12-2013, 03:50 PM
hello
good that Ruthie encouraged you . :)

my first impression is your sensitivity to/with the sticks/support .
( this is a pastel forum ... :D )
- looks good to me !

with the first pic , there are sharp horizontal distinctions of rough thirds as a compositional element ,
and the saturation of colour of the mid-plane tree line compared to the distant hills works very well ,
but it is too much on a straight line , so ,
perhaps a few treetops that bump up a bit to break that line ... ( ? )

the palette of the second pic has wonderful restraint ,
and at the same time , confident marks .
- it may be your approach/method as an underpainting ,
but to me , it can stand as is
without that high tree on the right edge ...
the colour of the treetop to it's left relates to the sky tone
and moves it back , compared to the other cluster on our left .

thinking out loud ... :rolleyes:

Ed

bnoonan
10-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Dear Dusty - great to see your work here and I'm glad Ruthie encouraged you to post them both.

Lovely strokes and color choices. The top painting could almost be two different paints with all the lovely shapes in there. I don't know what the object is at the end of the rocky part inside the water but I don't think it matters. But what would you think about letting my eye pass through that rocky island by creating a "break" in there? just a thought? I know it may not be accurate.

Nice reflections - agree with Ed on his comments about your sensitivity. the purple in the sky upper left... maybe blend that in a bit more?

Agree about the second piece - simple and a case where less is more.

Keep them coming! Barb

getdusty
10-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Thank you for your comments.
Barb, looking at the painting again, yes, the purple in the sky could use a bit more blending and that object at the end of the rocky part is representational of a fly fisherman....there is always one along this stretch of the creek :)
Ed, keep on thinking aloud. It's very helpful to hear the thoughts of others and you're right, the mid plane line is pretty straight.
Cris, thanks for your kind comments.
I don't often work and rework my paintings...just my style I guess or more accurately, my lack of patience. I just don't like re-doing things, lots of things, not just paintings. So, although I may not make many changes to these two, I will certainly file your suggestions away in my brain for my next attempts.

gecko99
10-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Oooh good work - love the reflections and especially the foreground flowers in the first - they really bring this area forward.

The sky in the second is wonderfully convincing :)

Nicole

getdusty
10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Thank you, Nicole.

sketchZ1ol
10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
hello
that object at the end of the rocky part is representational of a fly fisherman.

thinking of it like that , the light diagonal off-right makes sense as the rod .

in my parts , the lakekeepers mark shoals with bright orange bouys ,
so that was my read , and toned down very well .

just a thought .

Ed

pastel65
10-13-2013, 07:47 PM
I really like the style in the first painting. Second one is nice also but I find the first one more "finished". Pam:wave:

getdusty
10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
I want to say to everyone who has looked at these two and commented, Thank you....your input is invaluable.
Pam, the second is a much looser painting and I think that's what I like about it. Twenty minutes, get it down and done....no overworking, noodling or overthinking (all of those are my problem areas) so this is a change for me.
Ed, this is just a creek so there are no keepers or buoys....just fisherpeople .....trying to be PC here :) ....keep on thinking out loud